Blair disappointment leads to?

interesting read in this article Early 2015 Win-Loss Record Projections for Every SEC Football Team | Bleacher Report

but the Vols return four starters on the offensive line, and Dontavius Blair has been fighting for playing time at left tackle in spring practice.

"Last year, he was more fighting the practice more than the guys in practice in terms of the technique, the fundamentals and the scheme," offensive line coach Don Mahoney said in March, according to UTSports.com. "He was battling his own physical condition. Now, he is in better shape and is stronger. His sense of urgency is great."

this same article claims we win the east. 10-2 losing to florida and bama

We need Blair to pan out badly. Even if he doesn't start and is just a serviceable backup, that will still help us out tremendously.

2 different sources within program told me this week likely will not help us.. Kerbyson (left) and Kendrick (right) will be the tackles as long as they stay healthy

I don't think it will be a huge letdown if Blair doesn't start. I believe the OL as a whole will be improved, and we need the depth. Hopefully (albeit unlikely), we can RS either Richmond or Jones bc Blair, Kendrick, Kerbyson, and Thomas (I think he'll be back) will do well this season.

2 different sources within program told me this week likely will not help us.. Kerbyson (left) and Kendrick (right) will be the tackles as long as they stay healthy

Can you explain what you mean? Are you saying your sources do not think Blair will contribute, start, or what?

Makes you wonder how he was rated so high, and coaches must have thought he was talented too, but yet can not even contribute.

it happens. Physically, he looks the part... just can't grasp what he is supposed to do. struggles badly

Kendrick I'm good with. But Kerbyson at left tackle? I pray to God Richmond comes in and takes the spot.

Reactions: 2 people
Kendrick I'm good with. But Kerbyson at left tackle? I pray to God Richmond comes in and takes the spot.

Kerbyson was thrown into the position during season without having any work at the spot. They expect him to be much better this year. Maybe not All-SEC but productive at the position. He needed a lot of technique work last year without the time to work on it

LWS you make a very valid point. People should at least give KK a chance to prove he can handle the position after a full offseason of work. We dont need him to be all SEC to be successful. We have two true freshmen tackles coming in that should be ready next year, and maybe mid year this year (Richmond and Jones).

You don't want a mediocre, at best, LT--and mediocre would be an improvement over last year.

Kerbyson was thrown into the position during season without having any work at the spot. They expect him to be much better this year. Maybe not All-SEC but productive at the position. He needed a lot of technique work last year without the time to work on it

I obviously hope it works out. He just didn't appear to have the length or athletic ability to play OT last year. Hope either a year makes a HUGE difference for Kerbyson or Richmond lives up to the billing in the fall.

LWS you make a very valid point. People should at least give KK a chance to prove he can handle the position after a full offseason of work. We dont need him to be all SEC to be successful. We have two true freshmen tackles coming in that should be ready next year, and maybe mid year this year (Richmond and Jones).

the bottom line is, even if he only has improved 10-15%, or not at all he is still the best option they have for left tackle..

Reactions: 1 person

Thanks. Discouraging about Blair.

It is what it is and hand wringing wont change it!
We do have young talent at the position which is a positive.

It is what it is and hand wringing wont change it!
We do have young talent at the position which is a positive.

Agreed. Only commenting on it because it is inarguably the most glaring position that needs fixing, and it evidently won't be "fixed" if the same OG that struggled so mightily last year trying to play a position that he cannot physically play is asked to play it again. It'd be like us telling Dobbs to play TE, he gets absolutely crushed playing it because he can't physically do it, and then running him back out there again.

Agreed. Only commenting on it because it is inarguably the most glaring position that needs fixing, and it evidently won't be "fixed" if the same OG that struggled so mightily last year trying to play a position that he cannot physically play is asked to play it again. It'd be like us telling Dobbs to play TE, he gets absolutely crushed playing it because he can't physically do it, and then running him back out there again.

Not a fair comparision.

A more fair comparison would be asking a DT to play DE. He probably wouldn't have the quickness to pressure the QB, but he could stand up to the run. OT is not that different from OG in the run game. The difference is trying to block the speedy DE's when the QB drops back to pass.

Not a fair comparision.

A more fair comparison would be asking a DT to play DE. He probably wouldn't have the quickness to pressure the QB, but he could stand up to the run. OT is not that different from OG in the run game. The difference is trying to block the speedy DE's when the QB drops back to pass.

Good post and this is right and this is where having an elusive experienced QB will help us a lot to cover up this weakness.

I expect KK to be about 15% better than he was last year, Kendrick to be 50% better than an injured Gilliam and Dobbs to be 50% better at knowing where the rush is coming from and making quick smart decisions.

That alone will drop our sacks and negative plays in half most likely.

That will allow us to be an efficient and explosive offense, all we need.

Not a fair comparision.

The only point is that they'd both be playing out of position. And because of that, neither can be effective and would be a liability. I purposefully used Dobbs to TE to clearly make the point.

VN Store

Back