Brant Mitchell "spurns" Vols

No worries here. He'll probably still be a VFL assuming things didn't get nasty. Good school, fun town, great edumucation... He'll definitely see the field more at GT too. Best of luck to him!

Not going to rag on him at all, but how many months has it been since the recruiting services have mentioned him? 9?... More?

Coaches obviously did not have him high on the board and love who they have legitimate shots at

Best of luck... Beat UGA

Reactions: 1 person
First Nathan.... Now Brant??

Georgia Tech is owning Knoxville! What are the coaches doing over there, catching spiders and playing hop scotch?

Reactions: 3 people
I'm with you Roustabout. I always laugh when people make that area something it isn't. I live here and don't enjoy going down there at all. To each his/her own though.

Daughter graduated there recently with an engineering degree. Her job search consisted of going to a GT career day with a resume' which resulted in 7 job offers from which to choose. Not sure if UT's engineering program can match that, but needless to say she was well pleased with her choice.

Now the football games there aren't even close to the excitement of a UT SEC game but I don't find the campus to be that different than any university in a larger city.

With all the talent we are poaching out of the Atlanta area it's hard for them not to report stories like this and try to play it up for more than it really is.

Unfortunately this is one of the negatives to the style of recruiting our staff does. They throw out a lot of meaningless offers and this is what happens. Hopefully in the future they try to be more careful especially with the local kids. They have to know that if an offer is extended to a local kid the chances of him trying/wanting to commit is very high. Better to do as they did with Bruce and not offer till they know they would accept. Same with Cottrell, no offer as they knew he would probably jump at it. Brant was offered well before TKJr ever signed with UT, so maybe the UT coaches have already started to change the way they recruit local kids and IMO would be for the better.

JMO

I don't really view this as a negative. I don't think this would weigh in any recruit that we're going afters decision, and it's hardly what I would consider bad press. I highly doubt the coaching staff is concerned at all. On the flip side, if BM had progressed the way our staff hoped, they would have been on him early. Every big program extends offers that are non-committal for one reason or another, and I don't think there's anything dirty or wrong about it at all. Obviously coaches aren't just going to extend offers to the top *insert number of available spots here* players on their board and assume they land them all. That would be a really foolish way to recruit. Players and staffs alike know this is part of the game, and it really isn't even one of the dirty parts of it.

JMO.

It borders the projects and a nasty, exhaust filled I-75. Awesome!

Actually it is awesome. I would know as a graduate. He made the choice he thought was best. As well there are no projects next to it....they've been gone since before the Olympics. The area has been significantly upgraded with the development of The Atlantic Station (shops, homes, condos, etc) and new dormitories. The campus has also spread across the highway into the midtown area.

Knoxville has nature and environment (appreciated that more at 30 with a family). GT has a faster past, many opportunities to make national, if not global contacts.....definitely plenty of beautiful women....And guys that actually visit know it.

Athletically.....Tennessee is obviously the better Football school and has better Facilities. However, for a technical education with national and global respect......there is no comparison (IMO) between the two...Tech is the way to go. Opportunities afforded me by degree from Tech made the 3 hour trip down I-75 a very good decision.

Oh yeahÂ….there is plenty of exhaust on I-40Â…Â…off of I-40 alsoÂ…from those local cars that couldnÂ’t come close to passing an emissions inspections.

Reactions: 2 people
Georgia Tech beat out Tennessee for a football recruit in their own backyard.

Aside from this quote I didnt see how the article was in anyway negative. They are an Atlanta paper so making Ga Tech fans somewhat happy isnt the worst thing in the world.
I have asked Carvell recruiting questions via the twitter and he has always been very nice.
Just dont see "spurn" here.

never heard of him until now. good film. will be a good player for ga tech and get a very good education. wish him the best. article BS though. would have been special teamer here.

Unfortunately this is one of the negatives to the style of recruiting our staff does. They throw out a lot of meaningless offers and this is what happens. Hopefully in the future they try to be more careful especially with the local kids. They have to know that if an offer is extended to a local kid the chances of him trying/wanting to commit is very high. Better to do as they did with Bruce and not offer till they know they would accept. Same with Cottrell, no offer as they knew he would probably jump at it. Brant was offered well before TKJr ever signed with UT, so maybe the UT coaches have already started to change the way they recruit local kids and IMO would be for the better.

JMO

On the flip side, you can make a great argument that this is one of the reasons why this staff has been so great. They are proactive with relationships and offers and don't just sit back to see how a player progresses. Life isn't fair sometimes, and recruiting is a business. At some point, people are going to realize that this staff, for the most part, knows what they are doing. There will always be a few mistakes, but they understand the system. I sure am glad we have them and not the previous regime. JMO.

Love it when we high five over stealing a kid from another rival's backyard then cry oh the humanity when it happens to us.

Stay in the football forum, bud. We had no interest in taking Brant Mitchell. If anything the Vols spurned him by saying "thanks, but no thanks".

I take the article as a compliment (not what the writer intended). GT has had a better record recently, but by saying the recruit "spurned" UT, it gives a large amount of respect to our team and our coaches :hi:

Soon, these same articles will pop-up in gainesville, tuscaloosa, auburn, south bend, LA, baton rouge, and many other places. It will be the norm that these places "steal the recruit or beat UT out" for these recruits that were farther down the board. CBJ will get who he wants. :salute:

No disrespect to B Mitchell at all. Good luck at GT. Beat uga and fsu yearly. GT was an annual rivalry game when I was a student at UT. Always a good game. The rivalry stopped while I was a student there.

This should probably be in the Optimist thread...maybe it is playing a hybrid role? :)

Mitchell was offered by UT in March 2013. He was " blown away" by the offer but didn't commit. He's a great player but prob will see the field much more at GT. Hope he does great along with Cottrell.

VN Store

Back