Butch Jones critique/support/discussion (merged)

Butch Jones is a good man, and I appreciate what he has done at Tennessee. He inherited a crap-storm and he did it with a great attitude. On the other hand, I also view the reality that is unfolding in front of us. The reality, so far, has been disappointment. And Tennessee fans have no appetite for disappointment any longer. They are full up to the brim on that. Whatever happens, I will respect Butch for stepping into the fire, even if he doesn't make it out alive. Go Big Orange.

Reactions: 8 people
Recruiting=way overrated
Coaching in the off season and in-game=success

Fulmer for AD
Cutcliffe or Gruden or whoever for HC

No worries, UT will win 4 of the last 5 against crappy teams and everything will be great again.
So afraid of this happening...it would be the perfect excuse for this admin to keep butch and not have to pay the buyout. However, I'm not too confident we can win our last 4 out of 5 games. I really do hope the players are able to stay positive and know that the fans are not placing the majority of the blame on them.

But hey, at least he gave up the 14 point lead in the first quarter then played boring football. Interesting twist!!

Trivia question: which head coach is 2-3 in 2015 while leading every game he has coached by at least 14 points?

For 2 weeks he embarrassed himself but tonight he embarrassed his team and you could see it in their intensity.

You guys called it. Congrats... You think these coaches or players felt any support. It isn't easy to listen to everything they heard this week. Negativity has set in and probably will not end well. Make the next coach is a Dooley make over, it may be worse. The only reason we are in games is because of the talent Jones has recruited. Yet none of you will let it mature, we are still weak in a lot of areas. That does not mean we can't win, but calling for a coaches head like most were this week isn't good for the program. He is in his Third season 5 games in, our oline is not good, rb is great, qb is still learning and developing, wideouts aren't helping. That isn't play calling. Offensively we score enough most nights to win, I believe we passed the ball more tonight than in any game yet, the result was worse. We run the ball to protect a weak defense who haven't matured into what could be. Most only see all the star recruits, what I see is talented young men who need time to develop. We don't have that luxury and have to play with what we have. Yeah I still support Jones, but honestly this fan base, I hope he resigns.

There were 102,000 fans at the game. Crappy weather and all! So not sure what the hell your talking about. Keep your head in the sand, keep pitching your youth mantra etc and so on.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm really hoping he commits a major recruiting violation, or an illicit affair is exposed, or he does something that would possibly void his contract or reduce his buyout.

He is an amazing used car salesman. He gets people to buy, and subsequently, those people regret their decision because of a sub-par product.

How do you still have faith in this coach aside from blind faith? He has no GameDay nor player development skills...he's only a good recruiter, but that only accounts for one out of three major components of being successful coach. I'm sure this thread will be criticized and possibly closed but oh well.

I agree 100 %. Any mildly intelligent coach could take this players and win 2 of the 3 games we lost. Butch is an idiot and I say that without emotion. It is a plain fact Each time I see call a timeout and talk to the players, I cringe. Don't they practice during the week? Are they stupid and need to be reminded to catch the ball and don't block in the back on kick returns? This is not a well coached team. Not as bad as Dooley, but bad enough.

What would the buyout be and who could we get? Gary Patterson, Patrino, Stoops from Ky? Who would you pick?

This use to bother me. I have be aggervaiate so much about Tennessee over last 7-8 years it does not even piss me off like it use too. I realize that our players are young but we have coaches that don't teach them a damn thing. Why get mad when you can't do nothing about our sorry staff?

It is always something with this team and program. Coaching, stupid players, stupid plays, offense, defense....

--There were definitely play-calling and coaching issues in the ou and florida games. OU brought pressure on almost every play and DeBord did nothing to counter. The play-calling in the florida game was weird....

--There are talent issues, too: Offensive line is not good. The WR corps that seemed stacked suddenly is relying on Malone (not good last year, better this year) and Pearson. Pig Howard seems to have let down the team--the one guy our passing game needed, and North is a disaster; can't get out of bed without getting hurt.

--we basically implode in the second half every game. Offense and defense both fall apart. That has been the case in all three of our losses--we start off strong and then slowly things start to go wrong and by the fourth quarter we're like a lame horse that needs to be shot. Not sure why.

Reactions: 3 people
The players have to want to win, can't blame it all on ol' Butch........basics.....is tackling and just catching the football so much harder for UT than other teams, aparently it is much much harder......

Unbeleivable

can't see this team winning more than 5 games, no bowl for team 119 and there shouldn't be.........Vowels are indeed in sad shape.......

In short, awe hell no!!
I will still watch, I will still cheer my ass off for the team, but this clown is on his own!!

You guys called it. Congrats... You think these coaches or players felt any support. It isn't easy to listen to everything they heard this week. Negativity has set in and probably will not end well. Make the next coach is a Dooley make over, it may be worse. The only reason we are in games is because of the talent Jones has recruited. Yet none of you will let it mature, we are still weak in a lot of areas. That does not mean we can't win, but calling for a coaches head like most were this week isn't good for the program. He is in his Third season 5 games in, our oline is not good, rb is great, qb is still learning and developing, wideouts aren't helping. That isn't play calling. Offensively we score enough most nights to win, I believe we passed the ball more tonight than in any game yet, the result was worse. We run the ball to protect a weak defense who haven't matured into what could be. Most only see all the star recruits, what I see is talented young men who need time to develop. We don't have that luxury and have to play with what we have. Yeah I still support Jones, but honestly this fan base, I hope he resigns.

You love Butch. Not Tennessee.

The wheels have come off only a matter of time now. Bad thing is I am not even surprised or angry only disappointed we find ourselves in a position of struggling for bowl eligibility.

Who really cares? Honestly

I think we all care to a point. It's just a lot easier to get over the losses because we are so used to them over the last 10 years.

If I got something else planned on Saturdays, then I will do it. There was a time I wouldn't miss the game for anything.

VN Store

Back