Butch Jones ripped by anonymous opposing coach in Lindy's magazine

Not many total NFL players on the roster.. The true measure of the your roster is how many pro players you have.

Tennessee didn't lose games that year for a lack of talent. Should have beaten both Oklahoma and Florida. Also had a late lead vs Alabama and an early 14 point lead vs Arkansas. The talent was there to do something special... the game management was not.

Reactions: 5 people
Sounds personal. One of our own I think. Butch was a prick by most accounts.

Nothing but truth in the quotes regarding last season. But our roster was stacked in 2015. Coaching blew that opportunity.

I would focus less on who said it and more on. If it’s true or makes sense.

JMO

Why?

According to this blog article, the anonymous coach supposedly said three things about Tennessee:

#1 - Jones did a horse(bleep) job.

duh.

#2 - Don't think they have very good players...South Carolina has better talent right now.

one could argue this all day; fact is, we won't know until our lads hit the field this fall after an off-season training with good coaches.

#3 - talent shortfall = combination of players being over-rated and coaches not developing the talent.

second part: duh ... first part: again, we'll see this fall.

So why should we spend time discussing whether this is true or make sense, gator? Everything he said is either obvious, or awaits proof.

Far more fun (and just as productive) to waste our time trying to guess who said it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I think it was someone from Georgia Tech, munching on some sour grapes. After all, they blew a 14 point lead to hand Tennessee its only Power 5 win last season.

Whoever the "anonymous" guy was, he was too kind. CBJ was complete effin trash and had no business coaching at UT.

Reactions: 2 people
Why?

According to this blog article, the anonymous coach supposedly said three things about Tennessee:

duh.

#2 - Don't think they have very good players...South Carolina has better talent right now.

one could argue this all day; fact is, we won't know until our lads hit the field this fall after an off-season training with good coaches.

#3 - talent shortfall = combination of players being over-rated and coaches not developing the talent.

So why should we spend time discussing whether this is true or make sense, gator? Everything he said is either obvious, or awaits proof.

Far more fun (and just as productive) to waste our time trying to guess who said it.

That's right, just take a big ole dump on my post.

Lol.

Ok, let's guess who the referenced coach might be. My money would have been on Muschamp if they had not mentioned USCe's players. I'd have to assume it was someone they played against last year who doesn't have a new coach this season. I'm guessing Orgeron.

I have a hunch that it is Smart.

Honestly I feel like he did fine getting decent talent. After that it was a total loss though. After watching him fumble through the first year you knew what you had. He had no clue how to manage the game. Then add player development to it. The offense and defense during his time here both played on their heels.

Pruitt may not end up being our saving grace. Although his philosophy is pretty simple. Hit them in the mouth enough that they give up.

Reactions: 1 person
Honestly I feel like he did fine getting decent talent. After that it was a total loss though. After watching him fumble through the first year you knew what you had. He had no clue how to manage the game. Then add player development to it. The offense and defense during his time here both played on their heels.

Pruitt may not end up being our saving grace. Although his philosophy is pretty simple. Hit them in the mouth enough that they give up.

Colton Jumper being a constant at LB tells me all I need to Know.

Sounds like sour grapes to me. There's at least 14 players on our roster with NFL talent.

Tuttle, Phillips, Kongbo, Taylor, Kirkland, Bituli, Sapp, Warrior, Smith, Hall, Chandler, Jennings, Callaway, and Byrd are all guys with NFL talent and they were all recruited by Butch. Richmond, Guarantano, D. Johnson, Ignot, B. Johnson, Murphy, Palmer, Locklear, Shamburger, and Jackson are some other guys who could be developed into NFL prospects.

We don't have 12-0 talent, but we were talented enough for 8 or 9 wins last year.

As far as who said it... since it sounds like sour grapes, I'll go with Mel Tucker.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Ok, let's guess who the referenced coach might be. My money would have been on Muschamp if they had not mentioned USCe's players. I'd have to assume it was someone they played against last year who doesn't have a new coach this season. I'm guessing Orgeron.

I'll go with Pruitt...lol.

The old ball coach....

Why?

duh.

I don't think he was talking about "what can be" but "what was"...

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back