Chip Kelly Channels Butch Jones

There's quite a difference between suggesting that a bunch of millionaires might need to stop screwing up, and blaming your barely out of highschool players while you're pulling in millions

As far as recruiting, yes. A lot of kids play soccer up there, it's huge in the northwest (got family in Portland).

Kids flock to the Opening and praise their facilities...your thinking is antiquated.

Reactions: 1 person
Did he recruit better than Butch?
2009 | Chip Kelly's 1st year as head coach

•Average Rivals stars: 2.92
•Rivals national ranking: 32
•Rivals Pac-12 ranking: 5

2010 | Chip Kelly's 2nd year as head coach

•Average Rivals stars: 3.39
•Rivals national ranking: 13
•Rivals Pac-12 ranking: 4

2011 | Chip Kelly's 3rd year as head coach

•Average Rivals stars: 3.57
•Rivals national ranking: 9
•Rivals Pac-12 ranking: 2

2012 | Chip Kelly's 4th year as head coach
•Average Rivals stars: 3.38
•Rivals national ranking: 16
Does it matter? He did more with so called less talent. Sounds like a good coach to me. Nebraska had lower rankings than us in 90's but won like 3 national championships in 4 years.

Kids flock to the Opening and praise their facilities...your thinking is antiquated.

Their facilities are awesome! But I wasn't talking about that, I was saying that the northwest doesn't produce as much talent as the south, making it tougher to pull in kids from other parts of the country. I laughed when you said my thinking was antiquated, I found it ironic. Haha

Does it matter? He did more with so called less talent. Sounds like a good coach to me. Nebraska had lower rankings than us in 90's but won like 3 national championships in 4 years.

just responding to a guy that said he was an elite recruiter..he also was a cheater with a show cause penalty

Their facilities are awesome! But I wasn't talking about that, I was saying that the northwest doesn't produce as much talent as the south, making it tougher to pull in kids from other parts of the country. I laughed when you said my thinking was antiquated, I found it ironic. Haha

Glad you got a giggle Scooter...while you're smiling what's that little state just south of Oregon? Same distance as Georgia to us...California? Bet they have some players Oregon could borrow? :)

I don't want Kelly near Knoxville. The guy is a Kiffin twin. He doesn't care about nor know anything about UT. The only reason he'd come here is IF he got fired from Philly and we ponied up about $7 million. He's a money guy and he'd be using us as a stepping stone. If he couldn't win a title at Oregon with all of their "super fast" athletes and endless resources, then he sure as heck can't here. Same crap goes for Petrino.

Reactions: 2 people
Glad you got a giggle Scooter...while you're smiling what's that little state just south of Oregon? Same distance as Georgia to us...California? Bet they have some players Oregon could borrow? :)

California is the second biggest state in the country that runs along over half the entire US Pacific coast. The distance between Oregon and southern cali is about the same as TN and Cuba.
Besides Usc and ucla dominate most of California.

Did he recruit better than Butch?
2009 | Chip Kelly's 1st year as head coach

•Average Rivals stars: 2.92
•Rivals national ranking: 32
•Rivals Pac-12 ranking: 5

2010 | Chip Kelly's 2nd year as head coach

•Average Rivals stars: 3.39
•Rivals national ranking: 13

2011 | Chip Kelly's 3rd year as head coach

•Average Rivals stars: 3.57
•Rivals national ranking: 9
•Rivals Pac-12 ranking: 2

2012 | Chip Kelly's 4th year as head coach
•Average Rivals stars: 3.38
•Rivals national ranking: 16

Don't matter. It's what he did with that, that matters. Wr have 2 top 5 classes and only 2 wins. Need a coach who can develop and scheme and adjust

Here is the full list of active coaches with a Div 1-A national championship. So we've failed if we don't hire one of them?

Urban Meyer
Nick Saban
Jimbo Fisher
Gene Chizik
Les Miles
Pete Carroll
Bob Stoops
Steve Spurrier

Forgot Larry Coker UTSA head coach (2001 National Champion Miami)

California is the second biggest state in the country that runs along over half the entire US Pacific coast. The distance between Oregon and southern cali is about the same as TN and Cuba.
Besides Usc and ucla dominate most of California.

Border's just south...more than enough talent for the southern Cali schools Cal AND whoever qualifies for Stanford...then Oregon,Oregon State and Washington and Washington State. With all the Nike bling Oregon's pulling em out of Georgia,Florida, bunch out of Texas et al...they were early in on that airplane contraption. Truth is their location is no hindrance with their marketing range. Chip Kelly is just more of a mad scientist type with his schemes and he holes up in a hermit cottage the rest of the time. No interest in recruiting. The Scott Frosts of his staffs have been real adept at pulling in the occasional 5 star and identifying the high potential 3 stars (ala Butch). A Saban or Meyer would have had no problem winning championships there. Plenty to work with.

Last edited:
Oregon doesn't produce a lot of talent and cali is huge. How many Google searches did it take to find that ?

You seemed to be arguing that airlines didn't reach from Oregon to California...since they don't recognize the repeal of the Cuba Embargo. :)

Because coaches are defined more by what they produce on the field than what they say in the presser. And Butch can't hold a candle to Kelly when it comes to on the field results in big time college football.

What abject moron thinks that Chip Kelly and Butch Jones are equally competent coaches? If you are even remotely suggesting that Chip Kelly is not a superior coach to Butch Jones, then please do yourself and all of us a favor, throw away all UT gear, forget all things related to 'fooball' in general, and increase the overall IQ of VN by deleting your account.

What abject moron thinks that Chip Kelly and Butch Jones are equally competent coaches? If you are even remotely suggesting that Chip Kelly is not a superior coach to Butch Jones, then please do yourself and all of us a favor, throw away all UT gear, forget all things related to 'fooball' in general, and increase the overall IQ of VN by deleting your account.

he is great at show cause penalties

VN Store

Back