Chip Kelly Channels Butch Jones

Texas will fire Strong and hire Kelly. Next year, if Butch doesn't get the team not eh right track, we'll be kicking ourselves because Kelly is killing it in Texas.

Texas will fire Strong and hire Kelly. Next year, if Butch doesn't get the team not eh right track, we'll be kicking ourselves because Kelly is killing it in Texas.

And then we Hire Strong! Might work for both UTs!

What abject moron thinks that Chip Kelly and Butch Jones are equally competent coaches? If you are even remotely suggesting that Chip Kelly is not a superior coach to Butch Jones, then please do yourself and all of us a favor, throw away all UT gear, forget all things related to 'fooball' in general, and increase the overall IQ of VN by deleting your account.

Sounds like an opinion...yours to be exact...I happen to agree along with most that he is...just not in all aspects. He's an idiot savant in schemes and teaching them to his players. I think he pursued the pro game so he wouldn't have to deal with the academics and recruiting...other parts of the head coaching equation in which he is inferior to Butch. So I'm disagreeing with you AND keeping my account. :neener:

He is a good college coach.

He's a good Pac 12 coach whose team I never trusted against a good team with defense. I honestly don't think he would be very successful in the SEC. Better than Jones, but if we wanna win championships I dont think he's the guy.

Did he recruit better than Butch?
2009 | Chip Kelly's 1st year as head coach

•Average Rivals stars: 2.92
•Rivals national ranking: 32
•Rivals Pac-12 ranking: 5

2010 | Chip Kelly's 2nd year as head coach

•Average Rivals stars: 3.39
•Rivals national ranking: 13
•Rivals Pac-12 ranking: 4

2011 | Chip Kelly's 3rd year as head coach

•Average Rivals stars: 3.57
•Rivals national ranking: 9
•Rivals Pac-12 ranking: 2

2012 | Chip Kelly's 4th year as head coach
•Average Rivals stars: 3.38
•Rivals national ranking: 16
No losing seasons, always had them in top 10 winning big games

No losing seasons, always had them in top 10 winning big games

and don't forget probation he HAS them on probation

EUGENE, Ore. — The NCAA hit Oregon with three years of probation Wednesday for major rule violations in football recruiting, and former coach Chip Kelly was given an 18-month show-cause order

Reactions: 1 person
and don't forget probation he HAS them on probation

EUGENE, Ore. — The NCAA hit Oregon with three years of probation Wednesday for major rule violations in football recruiting, and former coach Chip Kelly was given an 18-month show-cause order

Sounds like what we need. :pinch:

Did he recruit better than Butch?
2009 | Chip Kelly's 1st year as head coach

•Average Rivals stars: 2.92
•Rivals national ranking: 32
•Rivals Pac-12 ranking: 5

2010 | Chip Kelly's 2nd year as head coach

•Average Rivals stars: 3.39
•Rivals national ranking: 13

2011 | Chip Kelly's 3rd year as head coach

•Average Rivals stars: 3.57
•Rivals national ranking: 9
•Rivals Pac-12 ranking: 2

2012 | Chip Kelly's 4th year as head coach
•Average Rivals stars: 3.38
•Rivals national ranking: 16

He's won better than butch

Reactions: 1 person
Chip Kelly is a better coach than Butch. It's really not even close.

So who would be on your short list if things do indeed fall apart with Jones? I know this is how mine would look (in this order) and no, I'm not even entertaining the idea that Gruden is even remotely a possibility...

1.) Gary Patterson - TCU

2.) Mark Dantonio - Michigan State

3.) Art Briles - Baylor

4.) Chip Kelly - Philadelphia Eagles.

5.) Kyle Wittingham - Utah

6.) Justin Fuente - Memphis (if all top 5 say no)

Last edited:
The top three in any order..I don't want Kelly and I want to see more from Fuente than a couple of seasons..although he has Memphis playing really well and has done it with offense this year and defense last year

and this is the guy some of you want next year? Why not just keep Butch? They say the same things

Kelly: We've lost the three games by 15 points. You don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Chip Kelly on 1-3 #Eagles: "We've lost three games by 15 points. You hit two kicks, and we're sitting here at 3-1 and everyone's happy."

Kelly: I think we're close, but we need to make plays when there's opportunities to make plays

Kelly: We need to execute the plays better.

If Butch starts winning like Kelly did at Oregon, he can say whatever the hell he wants to.

Last edited:
Tennessee can't steal a coach from a top program, they have already tried. The Chip Kelly situation could be the right timing. Otherwise, get ready for another MAC coach with more 7-6 seasons.

Tennessee can't steal a coach from a top program, they have already tried. The Chip Kelly situation could be the right timing. Otherwise, get ready for another MAC coach with more 7-6 seasons.

Our cupboard is much more stocked than it was before. We have the talent and the resources to attract a top coach. We also aren't facing the issue with team GPA that we were before, which was also a huge factor in why Strong and Gundy turned us down.

Our cupboard is much more stocked than it was before. We have the talent and the resources to attract a top coach. We also aren't facing the issue with team GPA that we were before, which was also a huge factor in why Strong and Gundy turned us down.

Tennessee isn't a top program anymore. No chance at getting an elite coach unless the timing is right.

and this is the guy some of you want next year? Why not just keep Butch? They say the same things

Kelly: We've lost the three games by 15 points. You don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Chip Kelly on 1-3 #Eagles: "We've lost three games by 15 points. You hit two kicks, and we're sitting here at 3-1 and everyone's happy."

Kelly: I think we're close, but we need to make plays when there's opportunities to make plays

Kelly: We need to execute the plays better.
Kelly has already proven over a very long sample size, that he's a heck of a COLLEGE coach. Butch really hasn't. He had a decent record....which is more than Dooley had, but still questionable as to whether he is cut out for the SEC.

Kelly would be a huge splash hire and help bump our recruiting class back into the top 5-10.

I think Kelly is suffering from a lack of a playmaking QB. Bradford isn't his kind of QB, anyway...so, I think he is somewhat hamstrung by not getting Mariotta in the draft. Remember, Saban and Spurrier both had very meager records in their stints in the NFL.

Both also hit the ground running when they got back into the college game. I have no reason to believe Kelly would be any less successful at UT than he was at Oregon...a program well below Tennessee (in terms of tradition and program prestige) when he took over

Chip Kelly is a better coach than Butch. It's really not even close.
+100. In terms of college credentials, Kelly's is the Gold standard, while Butch's is the Sub-Standard. :)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fQ9M21jyf4[/youtube]

The top three in any order..I don't want Kelly and I want to see more from Fuente than a couple of seasons..although he has Memphis playing really well and has done it with offense this year and defense last year

This is his 4th season as head coach at Memphis.

VN Store

Back