Coach Doug Mattews Analysis

Matthews does not understand the coaches thinking by not putting players in position to win. The drop back passing game will not work with this Oline.

I take this as Worley needs to do a 3 step drop and throw.

I have been mentioning about Worley taking 3-5 step drops when he is already in shotgun. What kind of Qb coach would tell him to do that or not correct it? It seems like it takes him forever to set his feet. :banghead2:

North is getting bracketed by a safety often. That's why Malone was open a bit. We did try to hit him deep a couple of times, but couldn't, and there was one in his hands. Teams are manning up on North, with safety help, and know we have to throw quick stuff do to OL problems.

Makes sense.:good!:

I have been mentioning about Worley taking 3-5 step drops when he is already in shotgun. What kind of Qb coach would tell him to do that or not correct it? It seems like it takes him forever to set his feet. :banghead2:

Yep. So has Erik Ainge.

They should start having him throw from a punt formation, with 3 blockers right in front of him.

Reactions: 7 people
Is being VERY critical of Bajakian on 104.5 the zone Nashville. He is saying he has no idea what UT is trying to do on offense. Has no idea why North was only thrown to twice last night. Said North is the best player on offense and isn't being used. Said an offensive line is more effective when playing down like linemen should. He said they aren't even trying this. He said UT keeps trying to do the same thing over and over and over and over and he doesn't understand why............

He isn't calling Bajakian by name because of his obvious relationship with UT. But, it's obvious. He's clearing his throat to stop himself from calling out some names.

He is all over Worley as well...........

North and Croom are physical. Why we aren't getting them the ball on slants and digs is beyond me. If they are so strong and can over power defensive backs, why aren't they in the position to do so constantly?

Reactions: 2 people
where does he coach? :(

He is retired. But he was UT's RB coach/Defensive Coridinator from 1980-1989. we had some legendary great defenses in those days. Dale Jones, Charles Davis, Fred White, and more have a ton of respect for coach Mathews and he deserves it. He knows what he is talking about. he also currently attends our practices on a weekly basis.

Reactions: 6 people
Good teams get the ball to their best receivers. We have three or four pretty good receivers--a lot of teams would love to have our receiver talent--and yet can't score! Howard, North, Malone and Pearson? There is some serious talent there--and we're a doormat who can't score more than 3 points? Unbelievable. Good teams would be getting the ball more to North, I think--he's a big guy. He's not been a factor for us in a long time. Good receivers, at both the high school and college level, get bracketed all the time--and yet they often catch a lot of balls and make a lot of plays. Worley is a very average QB, at best; that fact, combined with OL woes, are the reason we struggle. Still, we should be doing better than this.

With all that said, Mathews says we are showing improvement in a lot of areas.

Not hard to do when you basically start from zero. We are bringing in a ton of talent compared to what we started with. That is the one thing Butch can hang his hat on. The question is can they take the incoming talent and compete with the best in the best conference on a weekly basis? The answer to that question is very muddy at the moment.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm praying to god we don't have any major kids like North transfer out.. I hope and I think they are buying in with what Butch is saying, once they stop believing like some of the fans have... It's over.

I've worried about this too. I mean if you were a top WR or RB recruit, would you want to come and play here? Would you wanna get stuffed at the LOS behind an inept OL or get balls thrown way behind you, over you, or in the defenders hands next to you?

I know we keep saying give it time, but I feel damn sorry for guys like Marquez North who could be all Americans on a different team with a better QB throwing to them and perhaps even a better OC. They've got a year or two tops to really shine, not an eternity to wait on the "process."

He is retired. But he was UT's RB coach/Defensive Coridinator from 1980-1989. we had some legendary great defenses in those days. Dale Jones, Charles Davis, Fred White, and more have a ton of respect for coach Mathews and he deserves it. He knows what he is talking about. he also currently attends our practices on a weekly basis.

Maybe he just needs some film tutorial
He may one that doesn't understand this offense

Mathews does not think we have any QBs on the team right now that will work for us. May start a freshman next year. QB must keep the ball 4 to 7 times a game in this offense.

Mathews does not think we have any QBs on the team right now that will work for us. May start a freshman next year. QB must keep the ball 4 to 7 times a game in this offense.

See, he doesn't understand this offense

Jones has said we aren't a Read offense, even though we look like read option to everyone else

Reactions: 3 people
North and Croom are physical. Why we aren't getting them the ball on slants and digs is beyond me. If they are so strong and can over power defensive backs, why aren't they in the position to do so constantly?

Because FL 's little CBs effectively jammed them at the line. The play of the Wrs hasn't been stellar by any means and I haven't seen them be very physical against anyone

Good assessment. The offense has zero identity.

Not going to panic though. Two top 10 recruiting classes in two years and maybe more in the future, they will have the right guys in place soon who can execute the plays.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back