Coach Doug Mattews Analysis

Says with our Oline, we cannot keep dropping back. Need to give our Oline a chance to fire off the ball rather than backing up all the time. Need to run the ball a lot more and setup play action. Right now we're just taking sacks.

Reactions: 2 people
The double reverse was idiotic. A perfect example of how clueless Bajakian is at calling plays. The quicker we get rid of this clown, the quicker our offense will be at turning the corner.
So true. That double reverse call was that bad.

Is being VERY critical of Bajakian on 104.5 the zone Nashville. He is saying he has no idea what UT is trying to do on offense. Has no idea why North was only thrown to twice last night. Said North is the best player on offense and isn't being used. Said an offensive line is more effective when playing down like linemen should. He said they aren't even trying this. He said UT keeps trying to do the same thing over and over and over and over and he doesn't understand why............

He isn't calling Bajakian by name because of his obvious relationship with UT. But, it's obvious. He's clearing his throat to stop himself from calling out some names.

He is all over Worley as well...........

Agree

Says with our Oline, we cannot keep dropping back. Need to give our Oline a chance to fire off the ball rather than backing up all the time. Need to run the ball a lot more and setup play action. Right now we're just taking sacks.

our OT's first move is to stand up, lean, and shimmy their feet before getting any hands on the dl. I'm not familiar with blocking techniques, but know I don't see that technique much. Totally off balance and the DE has a full head of steam before anyone puts a hand on him

Reactions: 1 person
The only chance we have is to adopt a quick-pass approach, but still take a few shots deep each game. I think we were trying to run a number of short screens with Von Pearson, but Worley kept throwing the ball too high.

I also noticed that all season long...even with the non-conference opponents, we avoid throwing to the middle of the field like the plague. No short crossing routes at all.

Matthews said QB ran the ball against Chattanooga but not against Ole Miss. Does not understand that. Said it should have been the opposite.

Matthews wants us to run a Pro style I formation

Its not going to happen under Jones.

our OT's first move is to stand up, lean, and shimmy their feet before getting any hands on the dl. I'm not familiar with blocking techniques, but know I don't see that technique much. Totally off balance and the DE has a full head of steam before anyone puts a hand on him

Yeah. Me either. I keep hearing they are not strong enough to stand up like that and they really need to fire off the ball more for momentum.

I've noticed that. I much prefer an oline that attacks at the LOS and punishes the DL

Reactions: 3 people
Matthews final comment is that the good recruiting will correct a lot of our problems and Ole Miss will be tough to recruit against.

Reactions: 1 person
So no qb to run his off?? Didn't he recruit dobbs for the job? Oc has zero clue on game planning. Ol is using wrong technique..

But its talent n not coaching....right..

This off will never work without a great qb.. N if its not flexible so when u don't have a great qb why run it..

Que the sheep.. 2017 baby.

I dont want another coach but geez he is going to have win some games..

Maybe he just needs some film tutorial
He may one that doesn't understand this offense

Coach Mathews views coaches as a close fraternity, and he respects the time and effort that coaches put in on the job. I live in middle Tn and listen to him 3-4 times a week. I have not heard him speak this openly about anyone since we all new that Dooley was done here. He was a good DC, he has studied offenses for years as his job! what he is trying to tap dance around and say is that we should have our TE's chipping on the DE's and releasing on short routes, running more middle of the field quick slants with our big WR's, more running draw plays and screens.
Coach Mathews would not be given VIP passes to attend practices and driving from Nashville to Knoxville multiple times a week if he didn't care about UT football.

Reactions: 3 people
Matthews final comment is that the good recruiting will correct a lot of our problems and Ole Miss will be tough to recruit against.

Duh Coach ya don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure that one out. Hugh Freeze is Mississippi's messiah, where's ours?

Matthews wants us to run a Pro style I formation

Its not going to happen under Jones.

We need to for Hurd to be effective. I have been saying all along that Hurd is in the wrong offense. He needs to be either in the pro-I or the pistol so he can see the line. The one time last night we were in the pistol he got positive yardage.

Coach Mathews views coaches as a close fraternity, and he respects the time and effort that coaches put in on the job. I live in middle Tn and listen to him 3-4 times a week. I have not heard him speak this openly about anyone since we all new that Dooley was done here. He was a good DC, he has studied offenses for years as his job! what he is trying to tap dance around and say is that we should have our TE's chipping on the DE's and releasing on short routes, running more middle of the field quick slants with our big WR's, more running draw plays and screens.
Coach Mathews would not be given VIP passes to attend practices and driving from Nashville to Knoxville multiple times a week if he didn't care about UT football.
I think he went full on sarcasm with his post.

In fairness, I saw them do this on one of the sacks. The TE chipped and released. The Tackle (Gilliam I think) still couldn't get over in time to touch the DE. TE was wide open but Worley took the sack instead of dumping it off. Brutal to watch.

VN Store

Back