Could We already Have OUR GUY?

With the AD to be with the Basketball team this week at the Battle 4 Atlantis in the Bahamas. Could TN already have a deal in the works with a Football Coach.

This morning I heard that the AD would be at the event. A caller on the Swain Event was talking to Swain about it.

Swain, was saying that the AD was asking the 97 team and other former players at this week's game what they wanted in a coach.

IT was brought up, could he already have his GUY.

Swain, said he would start to question THE AD if we did not have a coach by 11/29/2017 due to the TN football awards in Nashville.

It means nothing. If he heads out this week and is back the next, fine. He won't make offers to any active college coaches until their regular season is completed.

Those hoping for Gruden just need to watch MNF. If he ever gets back into coaching, especially at the college level, what better way to reveal it to the world?

Otherwise, I wouldn't start renting a motel room to watch McGhee Tyson airport until this time next week. Plenty of free wifi out there. Just in case someone is planning to head em off at the pass.

While yes, this hire is the #1 priority, it is not the only priority of a guy in charge of a full athletic department. And the Ainge show has said that Currie's family is going down for a week, while Currie himself is going down Thursday for Thanksgiving.

Currie specifically said that this hire was his #1 priority.

Reactions: 3 people
Josh and Will actually just said "There are Boosters telling media members that Gruden is a done deal". I thought most at the animal were steadfast on it is ridiculous thinking he would come here.

If it didn't come from 1 of the big 3 then it doesn't matter

Reactions: 1 person
With the AD to be with the Basketball team this week at the Battle 4 Atlantis in the Bahamas. Could TN already have a deal in the works with a Football Coach.

This morning I heard that the AD would be at the event. A caller on the Swain Event was talking to Swain about it.

Swain, was saying that the AD was asking the 97 team and other former players at this week's game what they wanted in a coach.

Swain, said he would start to question THE AD if we did not have a coach by 11/29/2017 due to the TN football awards in Nashville.

Fulmer... Book it!

While yes, this hire is the #1 priority, it is not the only priority of a guy in charge of a full athletic department. And the Ainge show has said that Currie's family is going down for a week, while Currie himself is going down Thursday for Thanksgiving.

He either has his coach or he lied to the fans when he said this search will be his only focus until he makes a hire.

We probably have our hire and just have to wait u til the end of the season to announce since he is currently coaching TCU to a bowl game.

Reactions: 3 people
It means nothing. If he heads out this week and is back the next, fine. He won't make offers to any active college coaches until their regular season is completed.

Those hoping for Gruden just need to watch MNF. If he ever gets back into coaching, especially at the college level, what better way to reveal it to the world?

Otherwise, I wouldn't start renting a motel room to watch McGhee Tyson airport until this time next week. Plenty of free wifi out there. Just in case someone is planning to head em off at the pass.

I agree, but with the current climate in college AND NFL coaching searches heating up, it is possible that Currie has been in negotiations with the agents of active coaches. It is even possible that he has made an offer to an active coach through his agent. It is possible that an offer has been accepted (or rejected, of course), but will not be announced until that coach has completed the last game on his schedule. I daresay we might learn the answer to all our questions next weekend, or perhaps as early as this Friday or Saturday. I'm guessing that Currie either has his man tied up, or is pretty close to it. He knows the timeline, the vacancies (as well as how those vacancies are perceived among coaches), the buyout amounts, the candidates' salaries, the candidates' expectations and demands from UTAD, etc., and the need to make an announcement before the early commitment signings.

So, though I agree with you, its possible that everything is in place except for the announcement.

We probably have our hire and just have to wait u til the end of the season to announce since he is currently coaching TCU to a bowl game.

One can dream. Could be a best case scenario especially if the rumors of CGP reaching out to UT about the opening are true.

Here is the reality of the situation. I think Currie has already talked to representatives for a good number of candidates. We already know he was watching Frost at a game back in October.

He likely has it down to two, maybe three who have expressed strong interest in the job (my guess is Mullen, Norvell and Schiano). If my list is correct, we could get an announcement a couple of days after the Vandy game. If coaches involved in championship games are involved, then the announcement will have to wait until after December 2nd. Either way, the decision will be announced and the new coach will be in place for December 9th. I would expect a long list of official visits or unofficial visits for that weekend.

Take it for what's it worth. I only post on job situations when I think they are viable. Over the weekend I was told by a UT alumni and money giver that the Dish Network billionaire told Haslam that he would have NO say in the coaching hire. Pretty intense word fight occurred and Dish guy won. Gruden is not an option. It is coming down to two current coaches that have lots of interest in the job. Dan Mullen or Gary Patterson will be the next Vol coach. You can take that to the bank and cash it.

Reactions: 2 people
If I were the AD, I would also be on a plane to the Bahamas with my family for a HOLIDAY!!

Negotiations do not require communication every single day.

Reactions: 1 person

I think it it was a guy not coaching we would have already heard and if it is a guy still coaching probably waiting to after the season. I think it is the latter and we already have a deal.

If he already had the coach, he wouldn't be asking the 97 team what they wanted in a coach. Derp.

download (11).jpg

Last edited:
The Guy I believe has been identified and negotiations have started, although there is one interview to be done. No one will really know anything until after the Vandy game. The Guy will not tell his players until after the last game of season and that could be two weeks away probably will not coach the bowl game his team is in because recruiting has to be addressed? Not to hurt anyone's feelings but it won't be Gruden. New coach could be in his office at TN by Dec. 8th.

VN Store

Back