Derrell Scott transfer rumor

You should have paid attention to his performance on the field instead of his stature. He got carries as a freshman and his talent was easy to see then.

I don't know. If his talent was that amazing and obvious then he would have played more over Henry. I agree with the first guy. He was so different that rbs we normally played that I doubted if he could be a huge contributor.

I may have a different take on this type of thing....This is the situation we WANT to be in every year....good players who transfer because there's not enough PT, at least in their way of thinking....Great programs experience this constantly....heck...how do you think we got Kamara??? Having said that I hope Scott decides to stay and give it a shot but on the surface I would have to agree that the competition is going really high--- not lower-- next year....

Maybe he came to the grim conclusion that yards will be extremely hard to come by behind this o-line next year.

Maybe he came to the grim conclusion that with Reid & Kamara coming on campus, he will be buried on the depth charts his entire career.

The playing time he got this season will likley be the most he gets in any of the other seasons he had remaining on Rocky Top. His playing time will likley decrease each season.

I don't know. If his talent was that amazing and obvious then he would have played more over Henry. I agree with the first guy. He was so different that rbs we normally played that I doubted if he could be a huge contributor.

To add...had Jamal Lewis not injured his knee against Auburn, we likely wouldn't have seen much of Henry or Stephens that year.

If I remember right after Lewis got hurt Stephens was the first rb put in he had trouble with fumbles that's why Henry ended up taking the job

Last edited:

Not looking for an argument, but you are remembering #34 all wrong.

Knocking his abilities because he didn't take more carries away from 2 highly successful NFL RB's doesn't support your cause. UT only historically played 3 RB's when the talent demanded, otherwise having 2 serviceable guys is plenty if they avoid injury. Stewart and Hayden were a 2 man team till Garner showed up who demanded some carries. Same with Stephens who demanded some carries from 2 of UT's all time top 10 RB's.

And as far as being different than the normal TN RB's, how do you discount Garner and Thompson?

If I remember right after Lewis got hurt Stephens was the first rb put in he had trouble with fumbles that's why Henry ended up taking the job

Stephens came in and rushed for 100 TDs against a top 10 UGA team. You're correct that his undoing that year were the fumbles.

Lewis.. Played not to get hurt his last year.. I don't blame him with the amount of money riding

Maybe he'll get some playing time at mtsu. Who cares, we'll just bring in somebody twice as good

Hard to get much higher than a 4*RB..No if he leaves it won't kill us but not ideal either. We had walkons behind Hurd and Lane and that's not ideal. But if he just doesn't wanna put in the work and can't handle it then he needs to go somewhere that will be easier for him. Definitely see why we are also going after 3 RB's and still a chance Perry ends up there. But if we get Kamara, Love and Reid I will take that RB class all day. Gotta get Hurd some help and that would definitely do it!

Reactions: 2 people

Knocking his abilities because he didn't take more carries away from 2 highly successful NFL RB's doesn't support your cause. UT only historically played 3 RB's when the talent demanded, otherwise having 2 serviceable guys is plenty if they avoid injury. Stewart and Hayden were a 2 man team till Garner showed up who demanded some carries. Same with Stephens who demanded some carries from 2 of UT's all time top 10 RB's.

And as far as being different than the normal TN RB's, how do you discount Garner and Thompson?
My memory is right. I am referring to the size of Stephens. We usually played a bigger back. A more physical back in the nineties.

Running back recruiting has been dismal for a long time now.

Yea we have had a hard time keeping some past their FR yr of late..L.Creer, B.Brown, Borque, now Scott. Even L. Coker and Onterrio Smith several yrs back, although theirs was more drug related. I'm probably missing some more recently but can't think of them right now. Hopefully that changes moving forward.

I understand the "where there's smoke" mentality, but for some to be making disparaging comments about an 18 year old who is a member of our football team based on rumors seems to be destructive at best.

If I had the mentality and time for this stuff, I would establish myself on opponent message board to create dissension and effect potential recruits. It seems to work on this board.

100% agree .

Even if the rumors are true and UT is not the right fit, that is not a bad reflection on either party.

You would think most of the guys on here have never quit a job or anything for that matter. Just because a guy wants to leave does not mean our team sucks or he sucks or that Butch is a hand-breaking maniac!

the next time a bagboy quits at Publix, are you going to tell him he couldn't hang with competition? :)

Don't forget the most explosive combo in the last 30 years (or at least one of the most explosive...) in "Cobb-Webb". They were incredibly fun to watch.

VN Store

Back