Frank Wycheck's opinion (Oline) recruiting:

Man I get what he is saying, however JUCO is such hit and miss. We did that last year with Blair, and he got beat out by a walk on and hasn't seen the field yet. I don't think JUCO is always the "quick fix" everyone thinks it is. There is a reason they went JUCO, but I'm not sure what else you do to fix this Oline other than go back to 2012 and actually sign an Olineman.

Sure, JUCO recruiting is "hit or miss," but from a talent standpoint it's far more reliable than signing unproven teenagers from high school. JUCO players have already played in a college football program and competed against other adults, so you know far better what you're getting from a JUCO player. Perhaps the average JUCO players comes with additional character or eligibility concerns, but I totally disagree that JUCO recruiting is less reliable than ordinary high school recruiting.

Wycheck's number isn't retired, his name is just in their ring of fame(and deservedly so. He was a very, very good TE.)

The Titans/Oilers retired numbers are:

Warren Moon's #1
Earl Campbell's #34
Jim Norton's #43
Mike Munchak's #63
Elvin Bethea's #65
Bruce Matthew's #74

Not sure if it still does or not, but the team's wiki page used to incorrectly have McNair's #9 listed as retired too, but it is not.

Thank you!

If we took 3 Juco offensive linemen or even 4, I would be in heaven. But I'll settle for 2.

Reactions: 1 person
We're probably better off to land a good freshman and get them in as an EE. JUCO Olinemen aren't the quick fix that some think they are.

We need offensive tackles. We have guards running out of our whazzoo.

This. If we get two decent tackles this team will look a lot different. We have two guards trying to play tackle currently, the footspeed just isn't there.

This morning on 104.5 the zone Nashville, UTs OL was a big topic and widly discussed.

Frank Wycheck (very meaningful opinion)

Tennessee has to go the JUCO route or the transfer route to bring in immediate help with the OL for '15 class.

Your thoughts?

*this was broadcasted after the early morning thread started about this same topic.

Here's a list of top rated OT in the top 50 of JUCO players available for '15:

Martinas Rankin - uncommitted
Maurice Porter - Baylor verbal
Zach Bateman - uncommitted
Paris Palmer - USCjr verbal
DeVondre Seymour - UGA verbal
Glen Bethel - uncommitted
Tyler Howell - uncommitted
Lio LaFaele - Texas Tech verbal

*All the above are 4 star rated players*

Easy comment for Frank Wycheck to make. Especially when you take into consideration that he likely has never seen film on any of these guys.

It would seem to me that he best judge of our issues on the OL would be our staff. It seems many on here show full support for our staff, yet for whatever reason are unwilling to allow them to make their decision on who has the ability to help us.

Speaking of JUCO O Linemen, what exactly is the deal with Blair?

Blair came in overweight and out of shape. As is the case with many OL, they rely on their size. In the SEC, that does not work. You need good feet to make quick moves, for a Butch Jones offense, you have to be able to move quickly and you have to be much stronger than Blair was when he arrived.

Blair is being redshirted. You will not see him on the field this year unless the injury situation becomes so severe that we are forced to play him.

It is way too early to label Blair as a miss. Let's see what happens in 2015 before we start unfairly tagging another player.

This morning on 104.5 the zone Nashville, UTs OL was a big topic and widly discussed.

Frank Wycheck (very meaningful opinion)

Tennessee has to go the JUCO route or the transfer route to bring in immediate help with the OL for '15 class.

Your thoughts?

*this was broadcasted after the early morning thread started about this same topic.

Here's a list of top rated OT in the top 50 of JUCO players available for '15:

Martinas Rankin - uncommitted
Maurice Porter - Baylor verbal
Zach Bateman - uncommitted
Paris Palmer - USCjr verbal
DeVondre Seymour - UGA verbal
Glen Bethel - uncommitted
Tyler Howell - uncommitted
Lio LaFaele - Texas Tech verbal

*All the above are 4 star rated players*
This debate will continue until our line is fixed. This horse has already been beaten and put up wet.

It has been mentioned in almost all of the JUCO OL help threads that only 1 of the JUCO OTs signed last year has contributed this year. The chance of a JUCO OT coming in and helping right away is very, very slim. Same for HS signees. It just takes time for these kids to develop. In a class where the numbers are really tight, I would rather put my chips on 4* HS seniors and get a full 4 years from them. Right now we have 4 excellent OL recruits committed. If we can add a couple more, especially true OTs, this class would go a long way toward fixing the overall depth and talent problems. If Richmond was committed, I guarantee you we would not be having this discussion. I'm hoping we make strides with Sweet and McGirt this weekend. From all that I've see, they are true OT prospects, not HS OTs that project to be OGs in college. Wow! This is a huge recruiting weekend and not just for OL.

Edit: Also hoping St. Louis is in the discussion. He will be a big contributor.

Last edited:
Because we had one Juco lineman who wasn't very good?
No because generally there isn't that many plug and play offensive tackles coming out of juco. Look how many played this year for major programs that were juco players last year. I would bet you find more true freshmen playing.

I'm all for taking one if the staff feels he can play immediately and at a high level though. I don't think the staff is opposed to juco players but its not as simple as offer every warm body that happens to be a juco player.

Blair came in overweight and out of shape. As is the case with many OL, they rely on their size. In the SEC, that does not work. You need good feet to make quick moves, for a Butch Jones offense, you have to be able to move quickly and you have to be much stronger than Blair was when he arrived.

Blair is being redshirted. You will not see him on the field this year unless the injury situation becomes so severe that we are forced to play him.

It is way too early to label Blair as a miss. Let's see what happens in 2015 before we start unfairly tagging another player.

Has the Blair redshirt theory been confirmed by any coaches or is that another Volnation thing that people just started repeating?

So Juco defense are worse than Hs defenses? GTFO

No but one will spend his entire career learning and fitting with the line. ( which we have learned is hugely important). I'm in for the long haul. But I'm ok with which ever the coach decides. He sees more than I.

Now you GTFO
Cause apparently typing that at the end makes my opinion better.

will he have the same person calling plays.

With how bad our starting 5 OL's are...and the time they give our QB to allow a play to develop....there isn't an OC in the country that would have a magical cure for this. You were probably one of the ones that wanted Jancek fired before he coached a game last season too. :thud:

VN Store

Back