Frank Wycheck's opinion (Oline) recruiting:

Did it take Frank to tell you that we need Help, Freshmen cant play the OL in this League, we proved that this year didn't we.

Actually proved it in 2010. Then the prior staff did not recruit any OL for one year then only 3 the next...do not think they did for 2013 either...put current staff way behind in the trenches.

May have to kneecap dooley since he is near with the Cowboys... Butchna you want the right or the left kneecap?

Adding Mosley alone will make this line a lot better next year.

ok, so what you are saying is that having Charles Mosley switch from DT to OG will make this line alot better. I would like to see your reasoning on this.

If i remember correctly, prior to the car accident, he was topping out at around 360 - 380. Considering that we have OG's that tilt the scales about 60 - 70 pounds less than that, i would say that Mosley will have to lose about 50 pounds before he could even be close to being ready to contribute. You are also counting on a redshirt freshman to come in and help immediately. Why do you think he will be better than Thomas and Robertson, who will have a years experience on Mosley?

Why? We're hurting at tackle and a 360lb slow guard will do absolutely nothing to help that.

Our OL needs an increase of depth and competition at every position. We've seen what an increase in competition has done for positions on our defense like the secondary. Mosley has the potential to push guys or take a spot somewhere in the line if he can get his weight and coditioning right. You can't teach his kind of size and strength.

Plus, I've seen him aroun campus an at games, and if he really is 370, he carries that 370 really well. He looks to be in more of the 330-340 range. And by next year he'll have been in the program for a year and had a chance to change his body a little bit. The leg being sturdy should be the real concern with him.

You take elite 4 year guys like Burrell & Richmond over that batch of JUCOs. This years class of JUCO OL isn't particularly strong, whereas this year's high school OL class is.

Bingo, of the top 7 rated JC OL from last year only one is playing this year.

Blair is redshirting. They see a lot of promise in him and are looking at him as an answer for OT in 2015 and 2016. He came in out of shape and they realized he wouldn't be ready until game 3 or later. Thought it would be better to get 2 full seasons out of him. 2015 and 2016 are the seasons that Butch knows he has to produce.

we are past week 3 why is he not playing now? just doesnt make any sense. we could be a one loss team with an average oline with the way defense is playing.

next year we lose AJ Johnson, Jordan Williams, Justin Coleman, Marlin Lane, Worley, and possibly Maggitt.

That's not a HUGE amount of attrition but we will lose our defensive QB, offensive QB and some contributors.

no telling how good the defense will be next year. i BELIEVE it will be better or at least stay the same but you never really know until you get there and the new guys become starters.

and on offense we lose Worley, which I think will be the biggest loss for the entire team, except maybe AJ Johnson.

doesnt make sense to put all your eggs in next year's basket when you really don't know what you've got. plus it makes me angry as a fan for having to endure another hideous season and makes me angry that the current seniors would get that kind of treatment.

not sure CBJ is actually doing this--blair may just be a bust--but i keep hearing this justification over and over.. and i'm not saying its an irrational assumption by those who speculate thats whats going on, just saying it doesnt make any sense to me.

Reactions: 1 person
How did Wycheck get his # retired by the Oiler/Titan franchise? Sorry if diverted from UT OL opinion, but whenever I go to a Titan game and see his name and number retired next to a name like Earl Campbell I just shake my head.

Why? He's not an all-time great hall of famer like Earl, but he's easily one of the greatest all-time Oilers/Titans. That's why he's in their "ring of honor" and rightfully so.

Hell! we need to do something. This is ridiculous.

saw a thread where some school (cant remember which) was having QB trouble... and a commenter said can we call one up from the other state schools (in the same system)?

i mean obviously this is a ridiculous question (unless you are desperate like UT is) but i have wondered since about some Chatt lineman.

People need to get over the whole fire the o-line coach and o-coordinator. They are not going anywhere.

Last year it was the same mantra, except it was the DC. Many on VN have been asking where those folks are and nobody ever shows up. <insert cricket noise>

Amazing what that coach learned in the off season. :eek:lol:

saw a thread where some school (cant remember which) was having QB trouble... and a commenter said can we call one up from the other state schools (in the same system)?

i mean obviously this is a ridiculous question (unless you are desperate like UT is) but i have wondered since about some Chatt lineman.

During the game, I wondered if Kevin Revis had any thoughts while watching from the sidelines like "what the @#$%@#$% was I thinking, I would probably be anchoring that OL right now".

Sure, JUCO recruiting is "hit or miss," but from a talent standpoint it's far more reliable than signing unproven teenagers from high school. JUCO players have already played in a college football program and competed against other adults, so you know far better what you're getting from a JUCO player. Perhaps the average JUCO players comes with additional character or eligibility concerns, but I totally disagree that JUCO recruiting is less reliable than ordinary high school recruiting.

You make some good points, however, I never said it was more or less reliable than high school recruiting? Also, if they are in JUCO it doesn't actually mean they have played or competed against college athletes, granted they may have practice against D1 athletes, but if they are in JUCO they either couldn't make the grades or couldn't get on the field. Also, some JUCO players never even make it into school, they have to go straight to JUCO because they can't get in for grades. All I was saying is if we land a top 5 JUCO player that doesn't mean he'll be a day one starter. He was in JUCO for a reason, any number of reasons, could have stolen a laptop and got kicked off, couldn't make the grades, or wasn't good enough to make it on the field at the previous college, ect. It's recruiting and anything about it is hit or miss. All I'm saying is that there is a reason they are in JUCO, or they wouldn't be there

I am so tired about all the rhetoric about all the good recruiting. Also, all the slogans and sayings are getting very old. When will all this bs translate to wins on the field. Same old crap after every game. Yall can have the game Saturday , I am goind fishing. Tired of all this bs.

This morning on 104.5 the zone Nashville, UTs OL was a big topic and widly discussed.

Frank Wycheck (very meaningful opinion)

Tennessee has to go the JUCO route or the transfer route to bring in immediate help with the OL for '15 class.

Your thoughts?

*this was broadcasted after the early morning thread started about this same topic.

Here's a list of top rated OT in the top 50 of JUCO players available for '15:

Martinas Rankin - uncommitted
Maurice Porter - Baylor verbal
Zach Bateman - uncommitted
Paris Palmer - USCjr verbal
DeVondre Seymour - UGA verbal
Glen Bethel - uncommitted
Tyler Howell - uncommitted
Lio LaFaele - Texas Tech verbal

*All the above are 4 star rated players*

Wow!! Could you imagine putting Jennings or Dormady in next season with this O - Line?? Disaster!!!!!

After Blair, I wonder if he feels confident taking JUCO OL? But IMO if we have an average OL next year we should be a pretty decent team. Something must be done quickly though, these OL that we have are simply not improving. Maybe another year in the weight rooms will make a big difference.

Crowder, Kerbyson have been in the weight room for 4 years now. What is their excuse

Wow!! Could you imagine putting Jennings or Dormady in next season with this O - Line?? Disaster!!!!!

What line? Our current line or the JUCO list of names?

Any list of names would be better than what we currently have..........

In that list are current Baylor, UGA and USCjr verbals and the others have great offer lists.....

So what's the issue?????

So I can tell from reading comments some people think this list below is crap and they will have no chance to succeed. Let's see what other top teams think

Martinas Rankin - uncommitted
*offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio St, Miss St, Ole Miss, Missouri

Maurice Porter - Baylor
*signed LOI so he's off list

Zach Bateman - uncommitted
*Ohio St, Ok St, UCLA, Missouri, Wisconsin

Paris Palmer - USCjr verbal
*Baylor, Miami Fl, Ohio St, Penn St

DeVondre Seymour - UGA
*signed LOI so he's off list

Glen Bethel - uncommitted
*Florida, Ok St, Arizona

Tyler Howell - uncommitted
*Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky

Lio LaFaele - Texas Tech verbal
*UGA, Ole Miss, Oklahoma

Last edited:
We have had success with JUCO players before. CP was the last great one we've had. I think the urgent need to improve the OL requires that every avenue is explored to include JUCO players.

Have you told the coaches this?? Because they probably haven't even THOUGHT about exploring every avenue to make the team better......

In other words I think a pro bowl nfl star may know a tad bit more than you and I. No?

Do you think he's wrong?

Where did you play tough guy?

I think Frank was a really good TE and knows more about football than I ever will.

With that said, he doesn't exactly keep up with the Vols. He doesn't care for them, doesn't pay close attention to them, and is generally somewhat negative towards them. So imo, he sees us the same as a national sports writer would. All he sees is that the OL is really bad, but I doubt he has studied or watched enough game film to know who, what, when and why it's bad.

I'm a Wychek fan and a Titans fan, but the fact the he makes every excuse under the sun for the Titans issues, then definitively speaks about the Vols like he is on the practice field with them every day makes me discount his opinion to a large degree in situations like this.

I think Frank was a really good TE and knows more about football than I ever will.

With that said, he doesn't exactly keep up with the Vols. He doesn't care for them, doesn't pay close attention to them, and is generally somewhat negative towards them. So imo, he sees us the same as a national sports writer would. All he sees is that the OL is really bad, but I doubt he has studied or watched enough game film to know who, what, when and why it's bad.

I'm a Wychek fan and a Titans fan, but the fact the he makes every excuse under the sun for the Titans issues, then definitively speaks about the Vols like he is on the practice field with them every day makes me discount his opinion to a large degree in situations like this.

Actually he keeps up with the Vols as much or more than we do. This is part of his job. He's paid to keep up with all the local teams. He is on a popular morning show every day in Nashville. He has to cover Vols to the extent of being able to discuss them daily. They talk Vols daily and have guest segments exclusively regarding the Vols..........

So, I'm betting he knows a bit more than us and certainly with his assessment of an offensive line being that he played offensive line.

I'm not going to freak out about the o-line at the moment. I really like Kendrick, Blair, and Jones at T. Obviously we need about 4 more OT prospects, and I'm sure CBJ has this under control. If he doesn't have it under control then he's signing his death warrant at UT. If all of us dumba&&&& can figure out that our o-line needs help at OT, then I'm sure CBJ realized this too. My only concern comes in Mahoney's ability to recruit top OT here on his own.

Last edited:
I am so tired about all the rhetoric about all the good recruiting. Also, all the slogans and sayings are getting very old. When will all this bs translate to wins on the field. Same old crap after every game. Yall can have the game Saturday , I am goind fishing. Tired of all this bs.

We have had one good recruiting year (Last year) in the last 5 years so its pretty tough for it to translate to the field yet. You have seen how well a lot of the freshman are playing and it appears next years class will be just as talented. Still it takes a long time to build a football program that had hit rock bottom. Look at Mississippi State they start 18 seniors and have 22 redshirt seniors in the 2 deep chart. We have to get to the point where the majority of people getting meaningful snaps are juniors and seniors. The key is having good recruiting years every year so that you can line up toe to toe with the better SEC clubs. There is no shortcut to this.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back