'19 GA LB Jamie Pettway (Missouri signee)

“it was a great visit. I really loved it, and i really believe it’s going to be a top, top school when it comes down to my decision,” said pettway, who’s ranked the no. 636 overall prospect and no. 45 outside linebacker in the industry-generated 247sports composite for the 2019 class. “they’re real high on my list. I didn’t really catch a vibe from tennessee before the visit. But after the visit, i really believe that tennessee is going to be a strong contender in my (recruitment).”

“i really love the coaching staff,” he said. “i really like the facilities. But mainly the coaching staff opened my eyes, and i really like those guys. I like the feel of the town. I stayed overnight. I stayed, like, 10 minutes away from the school, so it’s a good feel, a good vibe in the city. “we talk all the time. (pruitt) visited my school when he was with alabama. So did (defensive coordinator kevin) sherrer. Coach sherrer visited when he was with georgia, so i’ve done had their number for a while, and i’ve been in communication with them and talking to them for a minute. And coach pruitt actually thought that i got bigger. He said i got even bigger from the last time he’d seen me.

“i know (defensive line coach tracy) rocker came from georgia, as well. The co-defensive coordinator (chris rumph), i saw him one time at a camp or something, maybe. He was at alabama. Then, i know the (former) defensive coordinator from florida state, coach (charles) kelly.”

pettway said his cousin “loves it” at tennessee and holds pruitt and the rest of the vols’ staff in high regard. “he said it’s a great staff, great group of men,” he said, referring to d.j. Pettway. “he really believes that things are going to be changing at the university of tennessee the next couple years and this upcoming season. “i really believe that they’re going to change the university of tennessee. They’re going to change around. Tennessee is going to be a great contender in the next couple of years.”

“i love the defense,” he said. "i believe i fit well in the defense, especially my position. Playing middle linebacker this year, i believe i’ll be able to play that position in the sec in the upcoming year. If i was to go to tennessee, i believe i’d be able to play in that position that they have at middle linebacker." the vols are recruiting jamie pettway as an inside linebacker, he said, and saturday’s scrimmage gave him a better idea of how he might fit into their plans.

“he likes my size,” pettway said of sherrer. “he likes the way i attack the ball. Really, coach pruitt has been really my main guy in my recruitment. He’s the one that gave me the offer directly, and he’s been talking to me. He really likes my size and my hunger and determination to play football, and how i attack the ball and how i get to the ball on the field.”

Reactions: 9 people
One thing from his highlights is he just looks for people to hit. Special teams or defense the guy just looks to hit people hard

IN HIS OWN WORDS: "It has been pretty exciting," said Pettway. "Missouri surprised me with an offer. Other schools are offering me and I am hearing from a lot of coaches. "I am hearing from coaches how they like my size, how they like my build and how I play. They tell me they like my hunger for the ball."

VOLS LEAD: "Tennessee is definitely on top for me. The coaching staff really surprised when I visited a couple of weeks ago. They are so experienced, they are great coaches and I really like the staff. Coach [Jeremy] Pruitt is showing a lot of interest me. We have been talking a lot. I also talk to coach [Kevin] Sherrer a lot. I like coach [Tracy] Rocker and coach [Charles] Kelly too. They are smart guys."

CONNECTION TO KNOXVILLE: "My cousin is DJ Pettway and he is now on the staff at Tennessee. He played at Alabama, he knows coach Pruitt very well and he says a lot of good things about him. Me and DJ are close... we talk a lot and it would be cool to play there with him on the staff. He is working with linebackers too, so that would be really nice."

IN-STATE OFFER WANTED: "I really want that offer from Georgia. I was back up there for G-Day and they have been showing a lot of interest in me. Georgia is the in-state school and I am a Georgia boy, so that is an offer I have always wanted. I grew up a fan of Georgia, so I have always liked them. Coach [Kirby] Smart has it going on there."

COMMITMENT HAS CROSSED HIS MIND: "I have thought about committing, but I want to hold off, see more schools and get a feel for more places. It has been in my mind before though."

NEXT VISITS: "I want to get out to South Carolina, Wake Forest and maybe somewhere like Maryland or Colorado. Maryland is really recruiting me hard and so is South Carolina and Vanderbilt. I do not have anything scheduled right now, but I will be taking more visits over the summer."

THE PERFECT SCENARIO: "It would be my dream come true if I was able to put the hats on the table and make my decision on Signing Day. I am not sure if it will happen like that or not, but that would be perfect for me. I have always thought about doing something like that and making a big surprise with my decision."

RIVALS REACTION: There is not doubt that Tennessee leads big right now for this Georgia linebacker. If the Bulldogs offer, it could become a race between the two SEC East programs. As Pettway takes more visits, his list could change, but as long as the Vols continue their pursuit, they will be hard to replace on the top of his list. He has a strong connection with numerous coaches on that staff.

- Chad Simmons

Reactions: 4 people
Our fan base has a combination of the battered wife syndrome, shell shocked, PTSD, and Chicken Little all rolled into one.

Reactions: 1 person
We have lost all of our fight, guts, and everything else that stands for being Proud. Every time a recruit courts us and chooses another school it gets worse. We have lost all hope and have settled for mediocracy. Hoping for 6 wins. Not taking into an account that CJP only knows winning. The staff he's put together are winners and builders of men. The problem they face is the team full of players who have the Battered Vol Syndrome. It's going to take a while to get them to believing in themselves. While attempting to get the type of players in the program who haven't been poisoned by the past few years. It's a big hurdle, but it can be done. We fans are a catalyst for a great future. But, we got to get back to knowing we will win, and not hoping for a win.

Conceding already? Geeze, we have fallen far.....

So if you had a TN guy that was being recruited by other teams, but he says that TN is the offer he is really waiting on, what would that say to you?

Would it say, well this guy is pretty open to all the other teams? Or, would it say that when the guy gets the TN offer, he is much more likely to commit to TN?

So if you had a TN guy that was being recruited by other teams, but he says that TN is the offer he is really waiting on, what would that say to you?

Would it say, well this guy is pretty open to all the other teams? Or, would it say that when the guy gets the TN offer, he is much more likely to commit to TN?

It would say that the “WHEN he gets THE TN offer” isn’t a foregone conclusion, so I sure as hell ain’t conceding this recruitment NOW.

VN Store

Back