Has a Tennessee QB ever caused as many internal fan arguments as JG?

Crompton for sure. He had the light the come on in the second half against Auburn and then played very well the rest of his senior year . Up until then it was pretty bad.
We need a light to come on similarly for JG.
And no it hasn’t come on yet.

Rick Clausen was very controversial. Casey Clausen, on the other hand, was a great player for Vols....not flashy, but he just won games.
Casey was money. Made some big throws under the brightest lights. O1 and 03 FL 2 of my favorites. What ever happened in SEC Champ game ..Just don't know

Reactions: VolFaninFla
I don't think any QB has been as polarizing as JG -- or as mystifying in his performances on the field.

Peyton vs. Branndon Stewart was the subject of some debate, but it didn't last long. We've actually been pretty stable at QB over the years. Throughout the '80s and '90s it was basically Cockrell, Robinson/Dickey, Francis, Mamaw Kelly, Shuler, Peyton and Tee. Whoever won the starting job seemed to always have a pretty good hold on it.

Reactions: All4TN
I don't think any QB has been as polarizing as JG -- or as mystifying in his performances on the field.

Peyton vs. Branndon Stewart was the subject of some debate, but it didn't last long. We've actually been pretty stable at QB over the years. Throughout the '80s and '90s it was basically Cockrell, Robinson/Dickey, Francis, Mamaw Kelly, Shuler, Peyton and Tee. Whoever won the starting job seemed to always have a pretty good hold on it.
Great post. Vol Radio had some heated debates back in the Stewart vs Manning year. Some folks were mad when Stewart left.

That being said, I've never seen folks so divided over a single player like I have with JG.

Most posters like the kid in general. Some take the "like" to an extreme however.

Crompton. Highly touted and came out and was a dud like JG.
Somewhat comparable, but I don't think any QB with physical talent can rival the issues Crompton had all the way through about the first month of his Senior year. Crompton played every snap like he was having an anxiety attack.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
It seems worse with JG because he has been here forever. Surely it can't be that hard to get your psychology degree. Graduate and move on my man!

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Rick Clausen, definitely. And I think a lot of people were sold on Jonathan Crompton being the next coming of Peyton Manning thanks to his 5* recruiting ranking and stupidly great high school stats -- and when he didn't deliver like Peyton did, people let him know it. Took Lane Kiffin and his staff, of all the things, to find Crompton's comfort zones and get him into those situations. Eh. But, still, definitely Rick Clausen.

And looking back on it, the Joey Mathews vs AJ Suggs "debate" seems almost .... quaint in retrospect, considering how far we fell off the wagon.

Reactions: ksgovols
Rick Clausen, definitely. And I think a lot of people were sold on Jonathan Crompton being the next coming of Peyton Manning thanks to his 5* recruiting ranking and stupidly great high school stats -- and when he didn't deliver like Peyton did, people let him know it. Took Lane Kiffin and his staff, of all the things, to find Crompton's comfort zones and get him into those situations. Eh. But, still, definitely Rick Clausen.

And looking back on it, the Joey Mathews vs AJ Suggs "debate" seems almost .... quaint in retrospect, considering how far we fell off the wagon.
I don't really remember Rick being debated. He mostly came in out of necessity when Ainge struggled so much. Nobody really had big expectations that I can remember.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I don't really remember Rick being debated. He mostly came in out of necessity when Ainge struggled so much. Nobody really had big expectations that I can remember.

I might be misreading the question a bit then. I feel like there was a lot of arguments about him and his impact on the program -- and I mean that in several ways, particularly with the "how much was he contributing to the wins" argument, and also the friction between him and the staff and Fulmer in particular. I don't recall there being many alternatives either but I feel like he was polarizing. But again, I might be misreading it a bit.

Nor do I

oh oh oh....I just remembered the Clawfense. Pain!!!!!! Yeah, that was not good for JC.

what was the kid's name from Chattanooga who started against Vandy? He was a runner.

Crompton for sure. He had the light the come on in the second half against Auburn and then played very well the rest of his senior year . Up until then it was pretty bad.
We need a light to come on similarly for JG.
And no it hasn’t come on yet.

Sometimes it’s like the bulb has fallen out. I just don’t get it. You have games like BYU and then he pulls an Auburn.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Really surprised no one has brought up Randy Sanders. I still remember his Boston College game. Pretty sad.

Somewhat comparable, but I don't think any QB with physical talent can rival the issues Crompton had all the way through about the first month of his Senior year. Crompton played every snap like he was having an anxiety attack.

Which is weird because when he played against LSU in 2006 he wasnt perfect but showed no fear coming in for Ainge.

Really surprised no one has brought up Randy Sanders. I still remember his Boston College game. Pretty sad.

I thought he just played that one game and went back to bench.

That was rougher than watching Tom Brady play the front-9.

At least, Randy didn't poop his pants

VN Store

Back