Has a Tennessee QB ever caused as many internal fan arguments as JG?

One of the biggest head scratching thoughts about this entire debate. He's a head case at times, but has a degree in psychology.

Makes perfect sense to me. Intelligent young man. Probably over analyzes things on the field. Sometimes better to just trust your instincts and your teammates.

I remember the days when Matt sims and crompton was our qbs. We was lucky to get past midfield. JG needs to work on his consistency but he’s still better then those guys.

I think JG has a girlfriend who keeps him up all night before half of the games.

It wasn’t an internal argument (except maybe in my head), but during their careers, I always wanted to see Eric Berry and Juan Jennings lined up under center more. They both had the “it” factor, and my opinion FWIW is you get the ball in the hands of winners as much as possible and good things will flow from it.

Sometimes it’s like the bulb has fallen out. I just don’t get it. You have games like BYU and then he pulls an Auburn.
The problem is that the Auburn games have been the outliers. For every Auburn game you get 2 or 3 BYU’s.

And for those who always defends him for the BYU game.... Stop. Or Google Vols report card vs BYU and let me know if you find any grade hire than a D- for the QB position. Actually don’t waste your time. You won’t. He was bad that game and everybody could see it.

The problem is that the Auburn games have been the outliers. For every Auburn game you get 2 or 3 BYU’s.

And for those who always defends him for the BYU game.... Stop. Or Google Vols report card vs BYU and let me know if you find any grade hire than a D- for the QB position. Actually don’t waste your time. You won’t. He was bad that game and everybody could see it.
If most games were bad his stats would be much worse. You need to flip your analysis. He is usually good then has a stinker here or there. To be honest that is every decent qb though.

That’s very true but there’s got to be something that can flip the switch for him. At this point he’s like Malzahn just when you think he’s getting canned be beats Alabama.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14

He was bad the BYU game, but not so bad that we should not have still won the game despite his play. He certainly gets some blame but we lost that game because we didn't play a complete game for 60 minutes. We played good enough to win for 58 minutes not 60.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I don't know, remember the Justin Worley Nathan Peterman thing, I remember thinking I wish they would be Peterman in, anyone will be better than Justin..... god was I wrong. He came in against UF if I remember correctly and had 4 pass attempts with 1 INT and 1 fumble.

You state this isn’t an “opinion of JG” poll, but that is exactly what it is. You will get the same debate on both sides as has happened for the last two years. Doesn’t matter your intent with the thread, that is what it will become.
I like JG...I think he's a great kid. I think he can be good. I want to believe he's going to rock his 5th year senior year, especially with better OL and what will probably be a heavier dose of run game. But, who knows. I will be ready to start a new QB debate next year...need a new off season topic.

I remember many fans arguing for Brandon Stewart to start over Manning. Stewart was a very good qb practically even with Manning as a fr.
I think Stewart athletically reminded the coaches of Heath, so that probably got him the early nod, til Manning ran him off. What's CRAZY is Manning was the 4th guy in line...Colquitt tragically goes down in first game of the his long awaited time at the reins. Todd Helton got hurt, and Manning traded time with Stewart until he beat him out.

He was bad the BYU game, but not so bad that we should not have still won the game despite his play. He certainly gets some blame but we lost that game because we didn't play a complete game for 60 minutes. We played good enough to win for 58 minutes not 60.

Hmmm... no this isn’t correct. He was really bad the BYU game and he was the sole reason we lost, not Alontae’s big missed play. Even if JG wasn’t that bad on paper, we win that game by 3 scores if he plays even a semi-decent game. He missed so many wide open guys, and threw late on several.

Two plays I can think of off the top of my head: once he tried to force one to DWA with Callaway streaking all by himself to the end zone (I was in the crowd, as soon as Callaway broke off we were already cheering thinking it was about to be 6).

The other was the late throw to Jennings in the end zone. Jennings had the route and had the guy beat, JG just waited too long to throw and let the defender get to Jennings.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Hmmm... no this isn’t correct. He was really bad the BYU game and he was the sole reason we lost, not Alontae’s big missed play. Even JG wasn’t that bad on paper, we win that game by 3 scores if he plays even a semi-decent game. He missed so many wide open guys, and threw late on several.

Two plays I can think of off the top of my head: once he tried to force one to DWA with Callaway streaking all by himself to the end zone (I was in the crowd, as soon as Callaway broke off we were already cheering thinking it was about to be 6).

The other was the late throw to Jennings in the end zone. Jennings had the route and had the guy beat, JG just waited too long to throw and let the defender get to Jennings.
We still were just 1 defensive play away from winning the game so once again it wasn't all JG that day.

I don't know, remember the Justin Worley Nathan Peterman thing, I remember thinking I wish they would be Peterman in, anyone will be better than Justin..... god was I wrong. He came in against UF if I remember correctly and had 4 pass attempts with 1 INT and 1 fumble.
Because of those 2 I remember always wondering why Josh Dobbs didn't start game 1 as a Fr.

Reactions: JettVol
So JG can have multiple bad plays but the defense has one massive breakdown, so that gives JG a pass?
Your reading comprehension sucks, I said that we played good enough to win for 58 minutes, we didn't finish. I said both JG and the one bad play were the major reasons we lost that game, thus not all JG, can you really not understand that?

Reactions: k-town_king
If most games were bad his stats would be much worse. You need to flip your analysis. He is usually good then has a stinker here or there. To be honest that is every decent qb though.

I understand if you want to throw stats at me, and that 16&8 and 60% really isn’t bad. I think I can say 17-28 176 yards 2/1 vs BYU isn’t bad either when you look at the Box score after the game. The reality of watching that 2 td 1 pick game was that it was maybe his worst game other than UF. There’s no denying the 2 tds, they are in the books(although barely on the one to JJ), but why weren’t there 4 or 5 tds and maybe he’s 16-21 for 250-300 yards?

His turnovers aren’t really in abundance, but the timeliness of them has been catastrophic. So yeah, the stats are ok, but I don’t think they always tell the whole story.

I really hope he can take the next step(like Crompton did his SR year) and 16 becomes 24 and 8 maybe becomes 6. That’s 4/1 instead of 2/1. I don’t think that is unreasonable to ask of him as a Rs SR because I think that was attainable last season.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Only to the redneck yahoos who hated the west coast QBs Clausen, Ainge and Bray even though they were among the best in UT history
Not sure about that. At that time the standards for UT QBs were sky high and people were a bit spoiled. He got plenty of criticism

I remember many fans arguing for Brandon Stewart to start over Manning. Stewart was a very good qb practically even with Manning as a fr.
Stewart had a cannon, Manning looked a bit like a wet noodle his Fr year, kind of physically weak compared to Stewart and the others. By his So season Peyton's arm strength had developed, never a cannon but always enough.

VN Store

Back