How long before we win SEC CHAMPIONSHIP????

Bowls, are wonderful, in fact I wish there were at least 40 so "everyone" could go! Oh, wait, I'm sorry there are 40 bowls-80 teams going!!! I'd like to hear CBJ standup and state how much longer it'll take for us to win the SEC Championship. I believe the SEC is the finest Conference in the country, if we can set our sights on winning the SEC-we'll win the National Championship. Statements such as, "We're going to a bowl this year....", don't mean all that much (80 other teams can say the same thing). Butch, how long is it going to take before Tenn is the SEC champion?????:hi::cray::whistling:

when we get good enough to beat Alabama. Don't let the score this year fool you into thinking we are close to doing that. Alabama didn't have the same motivation playing us they had playing LSU. If they had, score / domination would have been similar.

and Butch can't answer when that will be...

Reactions: 3 people
would've, could've, should've this year (with a few breaks). Vols are back in the championship hunt starting next year.

Really? I actually think that could be a down year for us. We would lose so many of our best players that year. Dobbs, Sutton, and JRM will have graduated. Hurd and Barnett will almost certainly enter the draft. That's our 5 best players all leaving. We will also most likely be breaking in a redshirt freshmen QB Jarrett Guarantano as the starter.

That's alot of talent to replace in one year and expect a championship.

Our best shot at the SEC title is 2016. Then again in 2018 and 2019.

If this staff finishes every recruiting class well, there should be no down years. Granted, losing talent like that may cause concerns at most programs, but the goal of consistent good recruiting is when a great player leaves, another quality player is waiting his turn.

The gold standard for pretty much the last decade has been Bama. In order to win the SEC it most likely goes through them. UT went toe-to-toe with them this year. UT needs a little more depth and a little more attitude. When you look at Hurd, Jack Jones, Barnette, Tuttle, McKenzie...the attitude (along with talent!) is coming.

How long are those streaks against UF and Bama?

I understand and I should have phrased that better. If/when UT builds a team that can consistently compete with Bama then we'll start handling UF and the East on a regular basis.

Running backs have such a short shelf life that you gotta go pro as soon as possible. I think Hurd will be a 1st round prospect in 2017 along with all those other studs.

2017 draft will be the year of the RB.

I think he'll be a first-round grade in a draft where only 2-3 actually go in the first round. It's ridiculous to think 4 running backs go off the board in the first 32 picks.

Hard to say. SEC titles are a rarity at UT. I think we've won 5 in the last 40 some odd years.

Three of those were before the creation of the SECCG. If memory serves, 1 of those three may have been shared. Another was when UF was on probation and was not elligible.

SEC titles at UT are like finding a unicorn. I don't think we'll win it next year, but it would be the perfect time to do it....Sr QB, lots of depth (barring injury bug).

If we don't next year, then it might be several more years before were ready.

One thing to keep in mind, the 98 team showed us that you can never tell what will happen in a season.

I understand and I should have phrased that better. If/when UT builds a team that can consistently compete with Bama then we'll start handling UF and the East on a regular basis.

You can't talk championships if you haven't beaten two of the teams you play every year in 8 and 10 years respectively. The year we beat Florida, we will ROLL the rest of the season.

Reactions: 1 person
when we get good enough to beat Alabama. Don't let the score this year fool you into thinking we are close to doing that. Alabama didn't have the same motivation playing us they had playing LSU. If they had, score / domination would have been similar.

and Butch can't answer when that will be...

You might have a point if score differentials compared to most teams UT plays on a yearly basis aren't improving at about the same rate.

The gap is closing, quickly, unless you're actually saying that all teams UT plays are just becoming more and more indifferent to UT the longer Butch stays.

If so, they're doing that at their peril, because more are losing to UT each year.

It should be noted that against SEC teams we play every year, Jones has ended 3 losing streaks that he didn't start, and has started no losing streaks of his own. The talent gap between the two most talented teams in the SEC east is closing, but not yet closed.

Here is a chart showing the rather consistent upward trends of the score differentials against our yearly SEC competition.

Book1.jpg

I know that the rebuttal is that our competition is getting worse. To show that isn't necessarily true, here is a chart that shows, despite the hand wringing, that most teams in the SEC are actually performing within a standard deviation of their talent predictions, as per usual (the EAST is actually more stable than the west). There are only 3 teams performing outside one standard deviation from performance. Ole Miss and Arkansas are the only significantly positive over-performers, with Auburn and Malzahn beyond the -4 game threshold that tends to be the threshold for a pink slip (unless you're Will Muschamp).

SEC predicted v. actual (2015).xlsx - Evaluations.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
We win the east next year..only loss being Bama during regular season..and then we beat them in SECCG.

Bowls, are wonderful, in fact I wish there were at least 40 so "everyone" could go! Oh, wait, I'm sorry there are 40 bowls-80 teams going!!! I'd like to hear CBJ standup and state how much longer it'll take for us to win the SEC Championship. I believe the SEC is the finest Conference in the country, if we can set our sights on winning the SEC-we'll win the National Championship. Statements such as, "We're going to a bowl this year....", don't mean all that much (80 other teams can say the same thing). Butch, how long is it going to take before Tenn is the SEC champion?????:hi::cray::whistling:
We won't win the conference until we get an oline, an oline that is sec talented. There is still major work to do on the oiline, and it starts with recruiting. We can have all the talented skill players we want, but without a deep and talented oline you're not going to win championships. I think butch and the staff are learning this the hard way. thats the difference in the smaller/ weaker conferences and the SEC. It applies to the defensive line too, but I think we are closer on the Dline than Oline.

We will have a good chance in 16, but we WON'T BEAT BAMA or any other elite defense unless we can throw the ball down field so even if Dormady beats out Dobbs in the spring i don't see coach pulling the trigger on him he is to loyal, that is coach Jones problem and it could cost him his job in the end, not bashing coach but he is to loyal to his coaching staff and that could be his down fall, so in 18 we will win the SEC.

I think he'll be a first-round grade in a draft where only 2-3 actually go in the first round. It's ridiculous to think 4 running backs go off the board in the first 32 picks.

It's also ridiculous that RBs have been the heisman favorite all year eventhough QBs have dominated the award for the last 20 years.

The 2014 recruiting cycle was SPECIAL for RBs. Maybe the best ever. I think at least 4 RBs go in the first round in 2017. Fournette, Cook, Hurd, and Chubb (if healthy). Maybe even 5 cause Royce Freeman is a beast too.

VN Store

Back