How long before we win SEC CHAMPIONSHIP????

We will have a good chance in 16, but we WON'T BEAT BAMA or any other elite defense unless we can throw the ball down field so even if Dormady beats out Dobbs in the spring i don't see coach pulling the trigger on him he is to loyal, that is coach Jones problem and it could cost him his job in the end, not bashing coach but he is to loyal to his coaching staff and that could be his down fall, so in 18 we will win the SEC.

You guys underrate Dobbs contribution to the run game. Even if I buy into the assumption Dormady is a better passer (of which we have no evidence and is pure conjecture on your part), our run game suffers without Dobbs.

If you guys haven't figures it out, we're not a power run team. We run from the zone read. We are a misdirection based run team. We didn't run all over Florida and Alabama because our o-line was pushing them 5 yards off the line of scrimmage every play. We ran all over them because of the threat of Dobbs pulling the ball and running it himself for 100 yards. Something he did quite effectively against Florida.

The zone read causes defensive ends and linebackers to hesitate rather than crash immediately into the backfield if they read run. Unless this better passer you want to play QB can strike the same fear into the defense of pulling the ball from the RB and taking it himself for 10-20 yards, then we don't get any better on offense.

All you'd be doing is trading a DOMINANT run game and mediocre pass game for a better pass game and mediocre run game. This rushing scheme doesn't work unless the QB is a dynamic runner.

A little food for thought for the anti-Dobbs crowd.

when we get good enough to beat Alabama. Don't let the score this year fool you into thinking we are close to doing that. Alabama didn't have the same motivation playing us they had playing LSU. If they had, score / domination would have been similar.

and Butch can't answer when that will be...

Exactly

If all goes according to plan and you guys decide to put your weight behind coach BJ it should come around in about two more seasons.

I genuinely believe a different coaching staff could do it next year. I don't think Butch will ever do it, but next season is as good as any to prove me wrong.

Reactions: 6 people
Bowls, are wonderful, in fact I wish there were at least 40 so "everyone" could go! Oh, wait, I'm sorry there are 40 bowls-80 teams going!!! I'd like to hear CBJ standup and state how much longer it'll take for us to win the SEC Championship. I believe the SEC is the finest Conference in the country, if we can set our sights on winning the SEC-we'll win the National Championship. Statements such as, "We're going to a bowl this year....", don't mean all that much (80 other teams can say the same thing). Butch, how long is it going to take before Tenn is the SEC champion?????:hi::cray::whistling:
We'll have as good of shot as anyone next year. That's all you can ask for at this point.

when we get good enough to beat Alabama. Don't let the score this year fool you into thinking we are close to doing that. Alabama didn't have the same motivation playing us they had playing LSU. If they had, score / domination would have been similar.

I'm sure our team had nothing to do with that.

We played great to that day in Tuscaloosa and we're only getting more experienced and more talented each yr.

The gap is not nearly insurmountable?

Vols will win the SEC East next season. (And I'm a Bama guy saying that.) Florida will probably close this season with two straight losses, to FSU this Saturday, and Bama in the SEC CG. They'll have a good team next year, but the Vols are back to being a contender each year. Vols should have been a top 10 team this year, judging by the close losses. Next year, the expectations will be higher. And I think Bama and Tenn will play twice, once in regular season and again in SEC championship. We'll see. I actually think Tennessee was the toughest team Bama played this year (and the score pretty much proves it). Ole Miss beat Bama only because of five turnovers that gifted them at least 24 points. Tennessee played Bama when the Tide was clicking on all cylinders, and still almost won the game. Vols are back.

We haven't beaten Fl. in 83 years and now we are going to beat them next year? I think they also have most of their team coming back next year, too. I don't count Fl. a win until it happens.:blink::blink::blink:

I'm sure our team had nothing to do with that.

We played great to that day in Tuscaloosa and we're only getting more experienced and more talented each yr.

The gap is not nearly insurmountable?

UT played well and should have coming off a bye week. Catching Bama before their bye on their 8 straight game helped as well. I wouldn't call it a fluke by any stretch but the schedule was almost perfect for UT against Bama this year (similar to 09 when Kiffin was a fg away).

UT has closed up the talent gap but I havent seen the rest of what it takes to expect UT to start winning that game or the SEC at this point.

Reactions: 1 person

Now Larry, you're sounding sour like the "media". Have you lost your source? LOL

Really? I actually think that could be a down year for us. We would lose so many of our best players that year. Dobbs, Sutton, and JRM will have graduated. Hurd and Barnett will almost certainly enter the draft. That's our 5 best players all leaving. We will also most likely be breaking in a redshirt freshmen QB Jarrett Guarantano as the starter.

That's alot of talent to replace in one year and expect a championship.

Our best shot at the SEC title is 2016. Then again in 2018 and 2019.

Guarantano starting (even as freshman) could be the one plus because we should finally again have a QB who can acurately pass the ball and therefore make use of talented receivers (which will help recruite more of them). However I do agree about everyone else being huge losses. Because of that the year Butch needs to win big (meaning at least SEC east) is next year. Hopefully Dobbs can improve some as well although I think by the end of junior years players are more or less developed/defined in terms of style and can't change all the much.

As long as Saban is at Bama and Florida is in the SEC, Butch won't win the SEC title.

If either of those ever change, it's possible.

Reactions: 1 person
If we don't win it next year then it's going to be a long time. I think Hurd and Kamara are gone after next year and I don't see any 5* RBs on the roster or being recruited that are going to show up and take their place. Look at Bama where they just rotate out stud RBs, that is where you have to be to compete with them year in year out. Butch can't bring in that level of RB talent with this offensive scheme without legacies or in state fans

VN Store

Back