How would a loss this Saturday affect the program?

Nope not one bit. It’s annoying as hell. I’ve seen improvement regardless of the blowouts we’ve had. It’s like having a great chef, if you don’t have the ingredients there’s really nothing you can do as cliche as that sounds.
So you're saying Pruitt can't make chicken salad out of chicken poop! Beat Vandy!!!!!

Reactions: savannahfan
A loss wont do anything. The program has been in the gutter for years now. Apathy in the fan base has not only set in but its taken root and those roots get deeper and deeper every year. I think its going to take UT making it to the SEC championship game to really get the programs (and fans) engines revving again.

It would be horrible terrible unbelievable, except that record 5-7 would be EXACTLY what most people predicted preseason.
It is amazing how many people forget that. Most said 6-6 would be grounds for CJP to be nominated for coach of the year.

Reactions: Behr
If you look at attendance, this is a lot worse than people want to acknowledge. You can bitch about negavols on a forum but the empty seats don’t lie. Fan apathy is the worst I’ve seen it in my lifetime.
Pruitt is not an engaging personality so it would be better if he and his staff had done a guru like coaching job. Losing by the same score at home that you did on the road last year, by Derek Freaking Dooley tells me all I need to know. This thing is in the shitter.

I know there are talent deficiencies but I’d think you’d have an Oline able to properly line up and not continue getting procedure penalties. Or, still be clueless about who to block. It’s one thing to get physically beat. It’s another to just not block, which has happened on many occasions.

A loss to Vandy will hurt recruiting. It will hurt fan interest. It will hurt donations. The stadium renovations were put on hold. It’s money. It ain’t coming in like it was or should. A loss will erase any momentum you picked up from beating UK. A win will set people at ease, and give us a bowl to focus on.
A loss to Vandy this weekend will turn a lot of fans off on Pruitt, any momentum that he had earned with the Auburn and Kentucky games will be essentially erased. Yes, there were brief flashes of improvement this season but not enough to convince me that Pruitt and staff are the guys to turn this program around. And it does not matter if he signs a top 10 class if they do not develop them, body and mind! Next years team is not going to be much better, there will be freshmen that will probably start on the offensive and defensive lines, that does not bode well for Guarantano and his noggin! Lets be honest, Tennessee fans are damn tired of the Vols having their asses beat every year and apathy has set into the fanbase. There is a whole generation of young Vol fans who have never seen Tennessee win at a high level, hell even win at an average level. This Vandy game is the biggest game of the year for Pruitt as a coach, not so much for the players, they have already lost to Vandy 4 out of the past 6 years so they are used to it. But Pruitt needs this win and needs to get to a bowl.
How wouldn’t it? Are you going to claim Vandy has more talent even though they have never out recruited us?
Three different posters, alot of good points. This game is a pivotal point for us going forward. I give Pruitt credit for getting these 5* kids on campus but this weekends game is way bigger than alot of you are admitting. I'm not sure you really believe what you all are typing or you're just trying to keep the fanbase together.

A win here and the possibility of a win at a bowl is huge for this program to crawl out of its hole. Seeing us go to a bowl can be what some of these early signing period recruits need to help their decision. The extra practices for the kids and coaches are nothing but a plus. Some may not see it, some may not believe it, but this Vandy game is the biggest game of this season!

Pardon me, I don't buy any of that B.S.
Pardon me, but I don't care if you buy it or not. Our program is at a critical point and if a lot of people don't wake up soon we will hit rock bottom. The only encouraging thing to happen over the last year is the hiring of Phillip Fulmer and some money being spent. Coach Pruitt, I believe up to this point, is a good coach but he needs to change the culture a little more rapidly. I would like to see about 10 to 15 players leave. Short term this would hurt but long term I would have a little more confidence we are on the right track. Now, if the administration is smart, they will invest in the fan base and quit catering to the rich. If not, we are the new Minnesota of college football, plain and simple. If you can't see that that is your opinion, not mine.

Reactions: Orange_Vol1321
They didn't take it to heart little interaction with fans and headphones on. That Missouri volwalk was the worst I have seen it in 22 years of attending vols games. Lots of fans but you could hear a pin drop it was terrible.

The last time I was at the Vol walk, I noticed and disliked the headphones. The guys should at least show respect to the people that most support them. Their "don't give a shi- about them" attitude can work both ways. It has with some of us, me being one of the "us". I made the decision to not stand for up to and more than an hour just to see some, don't care enough about them, kid wander by....

Reactions: onevol74
I am still mad about the wv loss.Pruitt had 9 months to prepare for that game and failed miserably. No excuse.

How can you say Pruitt failed??? Nearly any coaching staff with that much time can "scheme" pretty well for a game. Now if the player he has can't preform to a level to "beat" the other team, well no scheme can work. It has been stated over and over, Pruitt doesn't have the horses!!!!!

It's a huge black mark on Pruitt. You don't lose to Vandy, you just don't.
On top of this getting to a bowl is huge for the extra practices and recruiting.

DAM-!! Pruitt doesn't play the game!!!! When your team is playing a team that is better than your team, your team will lose most of the time. The best coaches in the game will lose most of the time if their team is not as good as it's opponent.

How wouldn’t it? Are you going to claim Vandy has more talent even though they have never out recruited us?

Yes, I believe Vandy has as much or maybe more talent than we do. And I know they have more experience at the positions that could make the difference.

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts... in other words, the improvement under a first time head coach with the challenges that we have faced is a positive. As far as I am concerned, traditions are made when you are winning. Nobody makes traditions when they are losing. So if CJP strays from some tradition but gets us winning again, he and the Vols classes that he coaches can write new traditions.

If our defense and St doesn't hold them under 30 points, I think our chances of winning are slim. We gotta get a better performance out of our D than what we saw last Saturday. Let's go Pruitt and D!! Turn them over! Get some stops! Let's play for 7 wins!

PS...not the end of the world if this doesn't happen though...next year's vandy game I will have more expectations - barring any major injuries

A win or loss Saturday won't make or break the future. But it will have repercussions.

A win gives extra practices and extra exposure for recruiting. That would help the future, but wouldn't define it.

A loss takes those extra practices away and shuts the door in a way for exposure leading up to NSD. That doesn't mean the future is over and that Pruitt and Co can't overcome the lack of exposure for a good class or a good off season training program to show further improvement next year. Let's revisit this after year 3 and see where Pruitt is at. (unless something crazy like 0-12 happens next season)

Reactions: Vol knight
Who cares? We're at the bottom now. What's one more loss for a bottom feeder?

Looks like our new "Leader" will have achieved exactly ONE more win than our previous.

Sorry if I'm not doing cartwheels and spittin nickels.

A win or loss Saturday won't make or break the future. But it will have repercussions.

A win gives extra practices and extra exposure for recruiting. That would help the future, but wouldn't define it.

A loss takes those extra practices away and shuts the door in a way for exposure leading up to NSD. That doesn't mean the future is over and that Pruitt and Co can't overcome the lack of exposure for a good class or a good off season training program to show further improvement next year. Let's revisit this after year 3 and see where Pruitt is at. (unless something crazy like 0-12 happens next season)

Agreed. I had hopes for post season play this year. If it doesn't happen, it isn't the end of the world or entirely unexpected. But if we do go bowling, it could help the program rebuild a little quicker.

Last year was rock bottom. At least this year we win a couple that maybe we shouldn’t have.

That said, we desperately need this game. Unfortunately, so does the opponent.

I have very low expectations for Saturday.

I think it will cause us fans terrible turmoil. We are already in for another 6 or 7 win season if a miracle happens next season. A loss to Vanderbilt will make Pruitt look bad.

Go ahead and flame away, but here is a reality check and brutally honest response to this question. Long read but hang in there....

I personally don't think a loss would be a deal breaker/killer for any coaches or for the program. Here's why. Last season was the worst ever for TN football. We absolutely have to understand that first. This season is already an improvement with 2 SEC wins & a 5 win record. Will people be in turmoil, sure....We should always expect a win. With that said, some people need to temper those expectations for an undefeated season, because of how bad the team was last season. Its okay to have high expectations, but IT WAS THE WORST SEASON EVER!!! Think about that! Over 120+ years. You don't go from the worst ever to slaying dragons the next season. lol That along with the negative recruiting when Curry and Co jacked up the coaching hire!!! Jeez!

When looking forward, you have to look at the past. Here's has happened last season (Past). A lot of the recruits recruited by Jones didn't pan out to what the stars said. There should have been a lot more evaluations when it came to recruiting talent. I have seen Bama/Clemson etc, etc not even pursue some high star rated guys, Why? Because they saw something during the evaluation process. Jones flubbed on some guys, that's it! It finally caught up to him. Also Jones wasn't a very good coach. If you think so, you're insane. Been to several games where Butch looked overwhelmed and confused. It was awful. Recruiting season last season cannot be counted in some ways due to the coaching mess by Curry mentioned above. We had a lot of people walk away when the Schiano thing happened. (Cade Mayes ring a bell?)

As far as deal breaker/make Pruitt look bad. I don't think so. I said you have to look forward and to the past, so here's the forward. We're still recruiting and in the top 15 from my last glance at it. Pruitt and Co are selling UT. Those kids know what they're getting into; which tells me they want to be here. Trust me, kids evaluate schools too. For us to be in the top 15 recruiting class with last season and this season being horrible, tells me we're on to something positive here. Also on this subject, look at how many true freshmen played this season that Pruitt pulled in during and after the Curry mess. Those kids we're pretty solid for the most part as true freshmen. That tells me he knows how to evaluate talent, besides looking at how many stars a kid has.

Now a win against Vandy and an opportunity to be in a bowl would be absolutely huge. You get the extra practice time, end regular season on a high note, on TV and getting advertised during a hot recruiting period. That's the ideal scenario.

Let's just hope we get a W this weekend and put Vandy to rest. We're both fighting for a bowl game, so this is an all or nothing scenario for both schools for this current season, and the season's success. But trust me a W would be great, but an L wouldn't be a disaster.

All I have to say is GO VOLS! Beat Vandy! This should pan out to be one hell of a fight!

I think it will cause us fans terrible turmoil. We are already in for another 6 or 7 win season if a miracle happens next season. A loss to Vanderbilt will make Pruitt look bad.
Only correct thing here is what you said about “fans” . Many would have a major meltdown!
We will not need a miracle to win 6-7 next year, and a loss won’t make Pruit “look bad”.
Just more proof he is not a miracle worker and is going to have to turn UT around the traditional way, by hard work and being a good football coach!

Pardon me, but I don't care if you buy it or not. Our program is at a critical point and if a lot of people don't wake up soon we will hit rock bottom. The only encouraging thing to happen over the last year is the hiring of Phillip Fulmer and some money being spent. Coach Pruitt, I believe up to this point, is a good coach but he needs to change the culture a little more rapidly. I would like to see about 10 to 15 players leave. Short term this would hurt but long term I would have a little more confidence we are on the right track. Now, if the administration is smart, they will invest in the fan base and quit catering to the rich. If not, we are the new Minnesota of college football, plain and simple. If you can't see that that is your opinion, not mine.

Sorry I just your feelings.

VN Store

Back