J Jennings moved to WR

When JJ committed, he was very much an option at QB. He has that certain IT and it showed in his games last season. Seems Butch and staff honored their recruitment pitch in good faith. Since he committed Butch has gotten medieval recruiting top QBs. Smart move reading the tea leaves and moving to a position where he can utilize his gifts instead of holding out until his sophomore or junior season. Quality playing time instead of a redshirt this year? Win win.

But you originally stated that we would hear something within the hour.... I mean I don't doubt you a bit, I just assume this would be a somewhat significant announcement and we would be hearing more on it.

Was told by an ex-player/starter this a.m. He's watched Jennings run routes on air since last week. Said he looked good and Butch was gonna release it at the presser.

I wouldn't post hear-say unless I knew it was legit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Brent Hubbs just confirmed. Officially, Jennings is now considered an "athlete". Funny because he hated that word in recruiting. But like I said, he will primarily be getting reps at WR, then safety.

Reactions: 4 people
JJ's long term future could have had an impact on his decision as well. I think he could very well project as a future 1st round WR pick in the NFL. His size and strength could be a good fit. Let's hope he has great hands.

Reactions: 1 person
Preston Williams, JJ, Vincent Perry and even RDA working some slot. Thats some electric playmaking we just brought into the offense. Even Gamble i feel like is a downfield threat. Im not sure how he moves in and out of breaks but Gamble is as fast as anyone on the team going straight lol.

I don't think it has anything to do with Von.. It has more to do with JJ wanting playing time IMO.

Sound like a win/win. I applaud JJ for wanting to help the team and allow the coaches to use his skills however they see fit.

Whatever the reason for the switch, it was a great move. He will fit in beautifully there and might get some solid playing time this season when he most certainly would not have if he stayed at QB. This just adds to our WR corp. Anytime a dynamic athlete like JJ is added as a complement, it's a good day.

Yes Indeed.

16 - J Guarantano
17 - H Johnson
18 - T Lawrence

The future is bright at QB.

I get that these guys like Tennessee, I just do not see how this will be possible and do not think it will happen. This would be like Russell Wilson looking to come in and compete with Andrew Luck in Indy.

But if it happens than I want whatever Butch and Debo are passing around to smoke.

I promise I didn't just make this up lol. You'll see in practice next week. He may play a little wildcat type package at QB some, but you'll see him on end arounds, screens, etc until he gets route running down.

80% chance he redshirts IMO

This is what I wanna see!

I get that these guys like Tennessee, I just do not see how this will be possible and do not think it will happen. This would be like Russell Wilson looking to come in and compete with Andrew Luck in Indy.

But if it happens than I want whatever Butch and Debo are passing around to smoke.

This. I mean, I would love to have all 3 of those guys, but at the same time QD will still be on campus as well. I just don't see us having 4 Top Rated QB prospects. Those guys are going to want to play. Honestly, getting JG makes me completely okay with Hunter Johnson passing on us. Taylor Lawrence is the #1 overall 2018 player and we apparently lead for him. I think we can reasonably skip out on a QB commit in 2017 as long as we land Lawrence in 2018.

Well, this is not the same because Andrew Luck is a proven starter. As long as they are confident in their abilities, then these guys can compete for the starting job. They have the opportunity to come play for one of the best programs in nation in the best conference in the nation.

JG is committed. HJ is between us and Notre Dame possibly (probably) leaning towards us. And TL has said Tennessee is his dream school, and he's from in state. Things could definitely change over the next couple of years, but bringing in 1 QB per class is typical. Why not make it the best?.

Reactions: 2 people
The first thought that popped into my head was JAMES BANKS. Banks excelled at WR after coming to knoxville as one of the best Dual Threast QB's in the country. He helped our team out tremendously. If you want your best athletes on the field at all times, then Jennings moving to WR or Safety is undeniably the right decision. I'm excited to to see him blossom into an elite athlete and be on the field GIVING HIS ALL FOR TENNESSEE!

You and I are on the same page. That was exactly my first thought. Hopefully he can get past some of this off the field stuff and finish his career at UT in good standing unlike Banks. I think it also speaks to him being a team first guy.

VN Store

Back