Jayson Swain on Finebaum

Makes total sense. HC's captain the ship,and captains change when apathy sets in, and revenue drops, which is controlled by the fan base. If you can't grasp this concept, ask Phillip Fulmer.

So...the caretaker changes. Fans buying tickets don't take care of anything. They just provide resources. The caretaker is the guy you employ to tend to the property.

Reactions: 5 people
Wrong the type of fans you see on this board are not caretakers of Tn. football.
We who donate money, buy tickets, buy merchandise, food, fill Neyland most certainly are the caretakers of Tennessee football. We are the ones who stop doing all those things when apathy sets in, and forces change. If you doubt that, you are clueless about how big time CFB works, Ask Phillip Fulmer.

Reactions: 5 people
We who donate money, buy tickets, buy merchandise, food, fill Neyland most certainly are the caretakers of Tennessee football. We are the ones who stop doing all those things when apathy sets in, and forces change. If you doubt that, you are clueless about how big time CFB works, Ask Phillip Fulmer.

To a point I agree with you. We all know when someone stops doing all these things there's someone else coming in right behind them take what they don't want. Someone else who will buy tickets, food at the game, parking spots etc. It's not like the people at the games right now are the only ones who wanted to be there

Jayson Swain going on Finebaum at 515 to discuss Vols Football. Swain is going all in on the start JG train. Should be interesting to see what he says to PAWLL

What have we seen from JG to suggest he's the better option?

Or... maybe he just isn't capable of becoming a better QB than Dormady regardless of the mobility you assume he can turn into big yards in the amount of time he's been in the program.

LWSVOL posted here a few days ago saying that the QB competition was never as close as they portrayed publicly. QD is FAR ahead. I have argued that the best reading of the information we were getting suggested the same thing going all the way back to the spring game. QD was given a more complex version of the O to run and was running it better. Some here argued with me that it wasn't true... now it is pretty much confirmed.

If you don't know who LWSVOL is... he's someone who apparently has significant, long-term ties in the AD.... People who see practice and hear the private conversations of coaches... and occasionally direct contact with a coach.

At the risk of taking this thread in an off-topic direction, I do agree that Dormady is (and should be) further along in his command of the offense (than JG). I also recognize a portion of his play has been really good - I would contend nothing Dormady has done is worthy of losing his job.

But...if Jones/Scott are hellbent on running QB read/option plays, it is useless for Dormady to be in there. He's just not that type of player. It's a wasted down to force him to "read" the end, only to hand the ball off 98% of the time regardless of his read. The other 2% are good for a few yards here or there, but nothing that will sustain drives or threaten defenses. Again, wasted plays. If Dormady is your guy - fine - but for crying out loud, give him a chance to win. Otherwise let's dumb down the offense and go with the athlete at QB.

Reactions: 1 person
I totally agree,I believe QD is much better than JG. All that I was saying is that Butch isn't very good with developing talent.

The weird part is the guys he's sent to the NFL have been praised for how well they were prepared. It is like he can teach them how to perform as individuals but can't get the individuals to max out as a team.

I love Swain's no excuses take. This is after Griffith went on and made many spoon fed excuses straight from Butch, laying the groundwork and foundation for why it should be completely acceptable to go out and lose to Florida...

When your PR as a team before Florida is:

1. 27 players never been to swamp.
2. Young team for 5th year in a row.
3. 3 games in three weeks or 13 days, if you cherry pick the calendar.
3b. 18-4 if rule above is followed appropriately(cherry picking).
4. Mike Hart and GaTech made Florida game harder to win, somehow.

This was the official UTAD talking points BEFORE THE FREAKING GAME!

SWAIN IS RIGHT, and BUTCH is a joke, and so is this BS of shying away from naming championships as goals, Butch dont like to be pinned down on the concept of winning championships. No sir, he just wants to be 1-0 every week, and that loser a$$ mentality infects the entire program, this whole shy away from expectations and responsibilities Butch Jones pansy a$$ mission statement definitely gives succor to all the weak-willed fans who will willingly suck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 people

You might have lost your marbles but you still have your entitlement.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I thought he spoke nothing but the truth. It's Year 5. No more excuses. So what JG didn't take an under center snap all week. What's the worst that could happen? Dormady threw an interception at the goal line. That goes against all the sayings for a QB in the red zone. I highly doubt JG would've fumbled a snap and even if he did, at least we wouldn't be getting onto the coaches for not trying to run the ball on the goal line. Coach the game smarter, not harder Butch/Scott.

Reactions: 4 people
The weird part is the guys he's sent to the NFL have been praised for how well they were prepared. It is like he can teach them how to perform as individuals but can't get the individuals to max out as a team.

That is true,kinda confusing.

At the risk of taking this thread in an off-topic direction, I do agree that Dormady is (and should be) further along in his command of the offense (than JG). I also recognize a portion of his play has been really good - I would contend nothing Dormady has done is worthy of losing his job.

But...if Jones/Scott are hellbent on running QB read/option plays, it is useless for Dormady to be in there. He's just not that type of player. It's a wasted down to force him to "read" the end, only to hand the ball off 98% of the time regardless of his read. The other 2% are good for a few yards here or there, but nothing that will sustain drives or threaten defenses. Again, wasted plays. If Dormady is your guy - fine - but for crying out loud, give him a chance to win. Otherwise let's dumb down the offense and go with the athlete at QB.
While I somewhat agree, I'm pretty sure he kept it for about a 12 yd pickup on 3rd down last weekend to sustain a drive. I don't believe anyone in their right mind ever thought he'd compare to Dobbs in that aspect. But I'll take a 6-12 yd pickup all day, everyday. He just needs more experience to gain a better understanding of when he needs to keep it. He's only going to get better.

I thought he spoke nothing but the truth. It's Year 5. No more excuses. So what JG didn't take an under center snap all week. What's the worst that could happen? Dormady threw an interception at the goal line. That goes against all the sayings for a QB in the red zone. I highly doubt JG would've fumbled a snap and even if he did, at least we wouldn't be getting onto the coaches for not trying to run the ball on the goal line. Coach the game smarter, not harder Butch/Scott.
Heck if he couldn't even get the cadence right, why would be so hard to believe he'd fumble a snap?

Whaaaat? Eric Fisher was a 2 star recruit at CMU and was #1 overall NFL draft pick. Has that ever been done? No it hasn't! Come on man!

He got 4 and 5 star talent now, what seems to be the problem? Maybe I can put it this way, Butch does not know how to win. His sec east record should be so much better than what it is. My opinion is he couldn't win the SEC with Bama's roster.

You have hit on something. Why is that QD seems to not have a great command of the offense? I have a theory on that. QD was a true SO last year. He shoukd have seen extensive playing time against teams like App State, Ohio, TT, UK, Vandy, SC and Vandy. When he was in he should have been allowed to throw the ball. Instead, he was only allowed to mainly hand the ball off.

What I am saying is, Butch has botched the QD scenario. I believe he will get better, but we also need to understand that this was his first game as a starter in a true road game. Also, it was in the swamp. Thats a tough situation. Not making excuses here. But I believe if we would have played up to our potential last year, QD wou,d be more comfortable and look better in this offense.

Listening to all these Florida fans calling into Finebaum and pleading for gators to fire MacElwain. And that's with consecutive division championships. Yet, Butch Jones can't get over.500 against bottom tier teams and there are still ppl defending him. It's insane.

Reactions: 13 people

VN Store

Back