Jayson Swain on Finebaum

Lol...Swain talking about that great 2005 team.

The 2005 team may have had a better defense than even 1998. It was a perfect storm that year. It was the unbound chaos of the second worst play call in Vol history: the 4th and 1 Ainge sneak in the Notre Dame game 2004.

If Ainge wasn't mentally wrecked in 2005 that team was phenomenal. Best defense we've ever had. But, QB play is absolutely critical in the modern game and, bless him, Rick Clausen did all he could.

One of Jones' major flaws is that his pre-made excuses possibly intended to lower expectations actually seem to create self-fulfilling prophecies. He talked all summer about how UT would only get 50 plays vs GT... then his coaching fulfilled that and allowed them 96. His complaining about things going into UF... provided ready made excuses for the players not to expect to win.

If you want to win, you never say anything privately or publicly that doesn't exude the attitude that you expect to win. Fans need that... but players REQUIRE IT.

Awesome point. They are self-fulfilling prophecies, i had a psych professor who just loved to talk about the power and danger of self-fulfilling prophecies.

I really hate the "1-0 every week" mentality, its like an overwhelmed boss who "just wants to get through the day, every day." This lack of long term goals and strategies will tend to make every day overwhelming and stressful, and you'll never get over that hump, its just bad management, period.

Reactions: 2 people
Or... maybe he just isn't capable of becoming a better QB than Dormady regardless of the mobility you assume he can turn into big yards in the amount of time he's been in the program.

LWSVOL posted here a few days ago saying that the QB competition was never as close as they portrayed publicly. QD is FAR ahead. I have argued that the best reading of the information we were getting suggested the same thing going all the way back to the spring game. QD was given a more complex version of the O to run and was running it better. Some here argued with me that it wasn't true... now it is pretty much confirmed.

If you don't know who LWSVOL is... he's someone who apparently has significant, long-term ties in the AD.... People who see practice and hear the private conversations of coaches... and occasionally direct contact with a coach.

Soooooo why do you go out of your way on every single thread to tell us how much better Dormady is than Guarantano? It’s actually a little weird how much you post ab how much better Dormady or how you defend Dormady to the death.

Lol...Swain talking about that great 2005 team.

Are you sure you listened? He mentioned how team traveled same day to Baton Rouge because no hotel dues to Hurricane and how they came back and won and how he does not understand 3 games 13 days excuses. Basically go out and play. He did fantastic Job

Reactions: 5 people
Someone mentioned that JG does take snaps under center in practice like all the QBs do, but Butch was actually referring to warm up snaps on the sideline.

That makes it even worse. If he's been practicing then why are we not doing it? Baffling. It's like when the game is on line or we have the opponent reeling, Butch has one of those monkeys with cymbals running around in his head. Makes me want to pull my hair out it's so maddening.

I have sat here and read through this entire thread and it blows my mind that so many "fans" want to bash swain. He is a VFL if ever I've seen one, 50% of the comments in this thread are just disrespectful! Id wager to guess that if any of you met him in person ever one of you would ask for a pic with him. GBO and Vols have to stick together!

Reactions: 1 person
OMG..And who thought the "Mighty Swain" would actually bring anything to PF other than what he lamely brings every day on his "show"?? Get for real..A Vol fan with a mic isn't anything new, especially one as shallow as Swain..Flame away!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I have sat here and read through this entire thread and it blows my mind that so many "fans" want to bash swain. He is a VFL if ever I've seen one, 50% of the comments in this thread are just disrespectful! Id wager to guess that if any of you met him in person ever one of you would ask for a pic with him. GBO and Vols have to stick together!

what does pic stand for?

OMG..And who thought the "Mighty Swain" would actually bring anything to PF other than what he lamely brings every day on his "show"?? Get for real..A Vol fan with a mic isn't anything new, especially one as shallow as Swain..Flame away!!!!!

You're mad, why?

Are you sure you listened? He mentioned how team traveled same day to Baton Rouge because no hotel dues to Hurricane and how they came back and won and how he does not understand 3 games 13 days excuses. Basically go out and play. He did fantastic Job

Yea and the rest of the season they were only playing 2 games every 13 days and wound up 5-6. Lol

Need someone's help. I am trying to reply properly to posts on Vol Nation. Will someone please tell me how to reply using a text box? I looked in user rules for posting replies, tried clicking quote tab, nothing works for me. Please advise. I appreciate your help.

The 2005 team may have had a better defense than even 1998. It was a perfect storm that year. It was the unbound chaos of the second worst play call in Vol history: the 4th and 1 Ainge sneak in the Notre Dame game 2004.

If Ainge wasn't mentally wrecked in 2005 that team was phenomenal. Best defense we've ever had. But, QB play is absolutely critical in the modern game and, bless him, Rick Clausen did all he could.
Exactly right. That defense was phenomenal. Just awful QB and WR play.

Just listened to it.

Tamer than I thought it'd be. I'll just say it was easier to listen to than Griffith spouting 3 in 13, Dave hart this/that & the 21 game record.

Past that, there wasn't anything ground breaking presented.

Reactions: 1 person
That doesn't make him right or wrong about anything. Swain isn't likely to get what he wants from the program or access to the program until Jones is gone. He certainly expresses no love or support for Jones... and Jones has no reason for rewarding him for taking that position.

Jones lost A game in 2017. IMO, this season is like a student whose semester grade is hovering just below what he needs to preserve his financial aid. He needs to score a solid "B" to get out of trouble now and an "A" to really get on good standing. The test has started. Jones just missed a question. He has 9 more questions and needs to get 6 or 7 of them right.

If he fails... my skepticism will be confirmed. I'll become one of the loudest voices here calling for him to go. The stuff going on over one... SICKENING... loss is starting to be over the top. If he combines that with a win or two vs LSU/UGA/Bama then this will be forgiven. If he doesn't... we can have a real conversation.

👍 all of this.

I love Swain's no excuses take. This is after Griffith went on and made many spoon fed excuses straight from Butch, laying the groundwork and foundation for why it should be completely acceptable to go out and lose to Florida...

When your PR as a team before Florida is:

1. 27 players never been to swamp.
2. Young team for 5th year in a row.
3. 3 games in three weeks or 13 days, if you cherry pick the calendar.
3b. 18-4 if rule above is followed appropriately(cherry picking).
4. Mike Hart and GaTech made Florida game harder to win, somehow.

This was the official UTAD talking points BEFORE THE FREAKING GAME!

SWAIN IS RIGHT, and BUTCH is a joke, and so is this BS of shying away from naming championships as goals, Butch dont like to be pinned down on the concept of winning championships. No sir, he just wants to be 1-0 every week, and that loser a$$ mentality infects the entire program, this whole shy away from expectations and responsibilities Butch Jones pansy a$$ mission statement definitely gives succor to all the weak-willed fans who will willingly suck.

+ infinity

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back