Josh Smith to miss 4-8 weeks

I hope that is all the injuries until we play a game. Seems like every year we have an enormous amount of injuries before and during the season.

Reactions: 3 people
What's the consensus on J. George? I've heard very little on him. I get the vibe that he'll be like Croom in that the thought is he's going to present mismatch problems due to his size but I don't get the feeling that he's got "it" to use his size effectively.

I could be completely wrong on him but that's just the vibe I get.

Don't believe George is in the mix at all for playing time.

Hall hurts, but it's not a knockout blow to the team. The other two guys easily have their reps replaced by others a blip on the radar screen of life IMO.

Hall hurts, but it's not a knockout blow to the team. The other two guys easily have their reps replaced by others a blip on the radar screen of life IMO.

If there are no more injuries. This would be a bigger loss if someone else goes down.

Good news is he could pretty easily be back for UGA. It's currently 26 days to the UF game. It's like 40 days to the UGA game. So you're looking at nearly 6 weeks.

Honestly this one injury we can withstand. I never considered him much of a factor at WR. Especially with the emergence of Josh Palmer and Latrell Williams in camp.

If this is our most serious injury to a key player in camp, then we're fine.

Losing a SR starter isn't a good thing. Having to rely on FR who don't know the playbook limits UT offensively. A FR who has never played at this level has no time to get up to speed with GT, UF and UGA on deck the first month.

Losing a SR starter isn't a good thing. Having to rely on FR who don't know the playbook limits UT offensively. A FR who has never played at this level has no time to get up to speed with GT, UF and UGA on deck the first month.

i get it but he caught 13 balls for less than 100 yards last yr. We have relied on others his entire career here. I like the kid and hes a solid player IF hes actually on the field. And you'll be relying on Jennings, Callaway, Johnson, Williams and Byrd. All in atleast their 2nd or 3rd year in the program. 3 of those games are against Indiana State, UMASS and GT. Hopefully he will be back closer to 4-6 weeks instead of 8. GT is not a defensive powerhouse. In fact, they cant stop anyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Here's what I think about Josh Smith... for every miraculous catch against Georgia, there were about a dozen bobbled balls, drops, feet that didn't quite drag inbounds. He is a guy that I've been rooting on his whole career, he always finds a way to get open and then seemingly not make the catch. I hoped this year would be different... but at least for missing much of the season due to injury, it seems par for the course.

Reactions: 2 people
Feel bad for Josh, but we have never had him for a full season since he arrived. We have had an awesome camp concerning overall injuries. So far, we have just lost a little depth at some of our deepest positions. Josh will be back in time to contribute this season. Fingers crossed that the next 2 weeks provide us with 0 injuries.

He is supposed to undergo tests today to get a better idea on the timeline just FYI. May or may not know more after this morning practice.

This sucks for Josh and the offense that is desperately in need of experienced proven play makers. I wish him a speedy recovery, he is one of the few proven pass catchers on this team.

You can't be serious right? It was a broken collarbone. Could happen to anyone on any play. And by now the team is used to Josh Smith missing half the season with an injury.

Actually, PrattvilleVol is correct. If I were a recruiter for another team I would use the injury factor against Butch. I know every team has injuries, but Butch is very consistent in this area. Look at our OL.

Hate it for Josh but we all should know that he was only penciled as a starter because he's a senior and has spent most of his career injured. Granted he has made a few big time catches in his time here but we all know Byrd was already going to get the majority of snaps at the slot and Smith and L.Williams would split the leftovers. Now Williams will get more snaps and from what I've read and seen seems like a much bigger threat and is not a true freshman so he should have pretty good grasp of the playback after having a redshirt year to study the playback while getting bigger,stronger and faster (if possible since he came in as a speedburner from the getgo). Like I said, I hate it for Josh but don't think he was/is gonna be much of a factor this year.

Reactions: 2 people
seems this is the story of his entire college career, smh, get well soon kiddo

Really? :lolabove:

Last Fall camp, Butch & staff went super cautious on practices and contact. THAT became the point reference (along with S&C) for our injuries, because supposedly our star players weren't prepared for contact. Damned if you do...:fool:

A couple of $1 screws from Home Depot and some Gorilla Glue and he should be ready to go. Maybe a placebo for the pain too.

VN Store

Back