Marquez North let go in LA

I'm sure he was probably frustrated by the lack of pass attempts the receivers got when they were on the field and at that time not having a clue on where Dobb's passes were going to end up. Even on the majority of Josh's completion's the receivers are having to jump,lay out,stop in the middle of the route to reach behind them or having to lay out to have a shot at making the completion.Not to mention the receiver's are asked to do a lot of blocking and in most cases weren't rewarded by getting a chance to catch some passes or score TD's. Truth be told I could see where receivers got frustrated and weren't always motivated. Just like Running Backs want to tote the rock, Receivers want to catch passes and score TD's.They deserve to when they are asked to block as much as they do. I can't imagine how frustrated the receivers get and how excited they must get knowing JG and/or Dormady will be throwing the ball to them next season.

I hope no potential UT WR recruits read your post! You're basically saying, don't go to UT (If you're a WR) unless you want to block.

The only 2 catches I remember North having was the Scar one hander and the UGA catch. I think if he wasn't plagued by injuries he would be better. However, it seems like the coaches didn't do him any favors either. Or for any other receiever since Butch has gotten here for that matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
The only 2 catches I remember North having was the Scar one hander and the UGA catch. I think if he wasn't plagued by injuries he would be better. However, it seems like the coaches didn't do him any favors either. Or for any other receiever since Butch has gotten here for that matter.

Anything else you'd like to b*tch about today?

Being bit by the injury bug,and not having the best stability at QB is enough to ruin any good WR. Hopefully he will catch on somewhere.

I'm sure he was probably frustrated by the lack of pass attempts the receivers got when they were on the field and at that time not having a clue on where Dobb's passes were going to end up. Even on the majority of Josh's completion's the receivers are having to jump,lay out,stop in the middle of the route to reach behind them or having to lay out to have a shot at making the completion.Not to mention the receiver's are asked to do a lot of blocking and in most cases weren't rewarded by getting a chance to catch some passes or score TD's. Truth be told I could see where receivers got frustrated and weren't always motivated. Just like Running Backs want to tote the rock, Receivers want to catch passes and score TD's.They deserve to when they are asked to block as much as they do. I can't imagine how frustrated the receivers get and how excited they must get knowing JG and/or Dormady will be throwing the ball to them next season.

Solid post. I had not heard of any attitude issues, but even if frustrated you do have to take pride in your work. Hopefully he gets another chance and puts in the effort. He has all the tools and LA was not a good fit for him. They brought in lots of receivers with no one to get them the ball.

I hope no potential UT WR recruits read your post! You're basically saying, don't go to UT (If you're a WR) unless you want to block.

Why do you think we have had trouble recruiting Higgins, Rodgers, etc. Until passing game improves many receivers will not want to come to UT.
BTW, I do believe Josh will break through this year and we are stacked at QB for the next 3 years.

I thought he was actually pretty good at the combine, certainly ran much better than I expected.

Weaknesses Disappointing career with unimpressive production. Dealt with injuries every year in school including knee and back problems in 2015 limiting him to just seven games and six catches. Slow. Doesn't have feet to clear aggressive press coverage or the burst to get over the top. Uninspired route runner with average separation talent. Needs to work back to the ball.

Weaknesses Disappointing career with unimpressive production. Dealt with injuries every year in school including knee and back problems in 2015 limiting him to just seven games and six catches. Slow. Doesn't have feet to clear aggressive press coverage or the burst to get over the top. Uninspired route runner with average separation talent. Needs to work back to the ball.

That was the scouting report but he put up impressive numbers at the actual combine. Just never turned those natural gifts into actual production.

Those weren't his combine results..... these are:

RESULTS
40 YARD DASH: 4.48 SEC
BENCH PRESS: 17 REPS
VERTICAL JUMP: 35.0 INCH
BROAD JUMP: 123.0 INCH
3 CONE DRILL: 6.90 SEC
20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.13 SEC

And those are good to very good numbers.

I remember the image very explicitly because it happened right in front of me. In the Florida game in Marquez's sophomore season (the one we lost 10-9), he got speared with a Florida defenders helmet directly in the center of his back. I literally thought his spine must have snapped in half. He missed an extended period after that (maybe the rest of/most of that season? Can't recall.)

He was never the same after that hit.

Absolutely - glad somebody else remembers that hit. It was ugly; couldn't believe the back could bend like that without permanent damage.

look, argue either way you want, but it definitely wouldn't have hurt by him staying another year and developing more... he may be kicking himself now... just like Sentimore...

Those weren't his combine results..... these are:

RESULTS
40 YARD DASH: 4.48 SEC
BENCH PRESS: 17 REPS
VERTICAL JUMP: 35.0 INCH
BROAD JUMP: 123.0 INCH
3 CONE DRILL: 6.90 SEC
20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.13 SEC

And those are good to very good numbers.

He had good combine #s, but he could never turn that potential into on the field production. He looks like Megatron but he never played like him. He was a converted HS QB with a bad WR coach.

Absolutely - glad somebody else remembers that hit. It was ugly; couldn't believe the back could bend like that without permanent damage.

The really sad part is he wasn't hit like that during the UF game, it the was UTC game the next week. They called a quick pass to him standing on the line of scrimmage. Ball went high and a LB drilled him bc he was standing on the F-ing line of scrimmage! Against UTC! Why was our deep threat WR catching passes standing on the line of scrimmage against a cream puff team?!?

Wow. Didn't realize North had those character issues. I would wonder why we'd get good reports through the week about his health and how he was practicing only to hear later reports about North warming up but then saying he couldn't go on gamedays. Kinda bizarre. Glad he went ahead and moved on.

doesn't make him a bad kid just because he didn't want to play. Lots of kids just not interested (after they get to a college campus and see requirements) in working as hard as necessary to be a college football player. They look for excuses to not have to practice or play. Doesn't mean they have bad character.

I knew he would have similar problem in NFL but he had to give it a shot. If he had gotten drafted he could have gotten a nice chuck of money to begin his life with.

I never heard of any off field issues with Marquez at all. Seemed like a decent kid.

He had good combine #s, but he could never turn that potential into on the field production. He looks like Megatron but he never played like him. He was a converted HS QB with a bad WR coach.

All true. Especially that very last point IMO.

doesn't make him a bad kid just because he didn't want to play. Lots of kids just not interested (after they get to a college campus and see requirements) in working as hard as necessary to be a college football player. They look for excuses to not have to practice or play. Doesn't mean they have bad character.

I knew he would have similar problem in NFL but he had to give it a shot. If he had gotten drafted he could have gotten a nice chuck of money to begin his life with.

I never heard of any off field issues with Marquez at all. Seemed like a decent kid.

Not saying he was a "bad kid". But if he pretty much reneged on his commitment to the team, coaches and program because he essentially quit....I'm still calling that a character flaw

Not saying he was a "bad kid". But if he pretty much reneged on his commitment to the team, coaches and program because he essentially quit....I'm still calling that a character flaw

Not necessarily. When Butch got here and the expectations and requirements rose, he just realized he didn't LOVE the game. He probably still LIKED it and would have been fine under Dooley, but things changed.

I think the same is true even with a guy like Josh Hamilton. I think he likes baseball and the financial things it has done for him. But, he is another athlete that an think doesn't love his sport. Now, his talent allowed him to be very good regardless. But once he got the big contract from LA, which in baseball is guaranteed, he has skated.

Now, compare that to Peyton, Kobe and Jeter, just to name a few. Those guys loved it.

The problem with North is that he seemed to play even slower than his "okay" 40 time. Some guys are gamers and play faster when the ball is in the air. He was the opposite. Incredible physical specimen who couldn't get open with great consistency.

I'm not sure that is all on the WR coach given that a pro WR coach couldn't get him to produce either. If he had turned it around and thrived at the pro level, then you could say that. But, the way it stands now serves as vindication for Coach Z wrt North (although the unit as a whole has underperformed and Z needs to step up their play without question).

Last edited:

Don't forget that a lot of players have transferred out of UT since Butch got here. His coaching and leadership style rubbed a lot of guys the wrong way. There were 11 transfers after the 2014 season. My assumption is North felt like a lot of those transfers but decided to hang around for 2015 knowing he could go pro afterwards.

Football players Justin King, Vic Wharton to transfer

Not necessarily. When Butch got here and the expectations and requirements rose, he just realized he didn't LOVE the game. He probably still LIKED it and would have been fine under Dooley, but things changed.

I think the same is true even with a guy like Josh Hamilton. I think he likes baseball and the financial things it has done for him. But, he is another athlete that an think doesn't love his sport. Now, his talent allowed him to be very good regardless. But once he got the big contract from LA, which in baseball is guaranteed, he has skated.

Now, compare that to Peyton, Kobe and Jeter, just to name a few. Those guys loved it.

Understand your point. And Hamilton is a good example of what you're talking about.

Still, I'm saying that North pretty much entered into a contract with the University, his coaches and his teammates. And if what Larry says is true, he pretty much just quit on all of the above.

I would think of it were just a lack of desire to play football then he would've just stepped away and not even returned for his Junior year. Instead, he stayed on the team while evidently giving minimal effort and refusing to play on gameday for a large portion of the season despite being healthy enough to play. Seems to me he did all this to keep himself viable for the NFL so he could have the opportunity to continue his career and make money doing it. That doesn't necessarily sound like a guy who no longer had a love of the game IMO.....it sounds like a guy who just no longer wanted to play for his current coaches and team while taking advantage of the resources available to him so he could prepare for the draft/combine.

No matter how you slice it, even if he lost his "love of the game", you just can't quit like he did. And quitting and not manning up and honoring your commitment, even if you don't want to anymore, shows a lack of character IMHO.

VN Store

Back