Mashack next?

It's the sad nature of college sports today. Used to players went to a school and formed some connection to school, teammates and the coaches. Now days it's all about self. If a player is not getting playing time or has no hope of getting playing time, I can see moving on. But all of the players of late who are leaving would be playing if not starting next year.
Don’t think it playing time as much as $

Reactions: BisonVol
It's the sad nature of college sports today. Used to players went to a school and formed some connection to school, teammates and the coaches. Now days it's all about self. If a player is not getting playing time or has no hope of getting playing time, I can see moving on. But all of the players of late who are leaving would be playing if not starting next year.
AAU teams have been like this for a long time from what I know. Now it has come college and it feels natural. The formations of super teams in the NBA also show it to be normal. Pandora's box is open. It helps and it hurts. Let's see who we get. Rent a player is just not as fun.

Crazy thing is that I thought we had the culture to overcome it.

If we lose Mashack, that would put us at returning ZZ, Gainey, Phillips, Carr, and Estrella (assuming nobody else decides they want to hit the road too). Barely enough scholarship players for a starting lineup, three of whom weren’t regulars in the rotation.

Going to be nearly an entirely new cast of characters next season. Not gonna be easy to land that many guys who can play at this level and mesh as a team. Hopefully Mashack will stick around. That way you will have him and ZZ who can impose the future onto the transfer portal mercenaries we bring in.

Please explain to me why these guys would transfer out with everything Tennessee has to offer? And the support from the Fans? WTF
IMO the coach is retiring or these NIL groups are throwing out the cash for players at positions of need. All of the players that hit the portal would have seen significant playing time had they stayed. Aidoo I have no idea other than he was asked to leave.

Mashack is very much in the possible portal arena.
This just isn’t the truth. I’ve been fortunate enough to get to know a now former player at UT, and the players that were expected to leave have left. We’ve lost what we will lose, and will be making 3 new additions within the next 2 weeks.

Does the NIL contracts these kids sign have an out clause with no penalties or have penalties like must refund X amount of money if you leave and transfer before the contract is fulfilled? Just curious because that would stop all these transferring if these kids have to start paying back hundreds of thousands of dollars like coaches who leave does.

This just isn’t the truth. I’ve been fortunate enough to get to know a now former player at UT, and the players that were expected to leave have left. We’ve lost what we will lose, and will be making 3 new additions within the next 2 weeks.
Aidoo AND Awaka were BOTH expected to leave? Really? I think we need to check your stats.
Does anyone know if this post is Nited?

i’m assuming it will be 2 wings and a post player? 🤔

**HES NOT GONE YET** I believed the Aidoo and Awaka leaving rumors, but I don’t think Mashack leaves. He loves the community, he likes Rick Barnes, and he’s got an opportunity to start this coming year. The money is a factor too, but I think we can match any offer he gets. I don’t think Mashack is leaving.
How do you know “he likes Barnes” and if he does is that enough to keep him? Obviously it wasn’t the case with Awaka and Aidoo. Barnes is NOT a player’s coach. He is hard nosed and has high expectations. He is old school and good at it. That is no longer a recipe for NIL success (i.e. keeping players).

Last edited:
Aidoo AND Awaka were BOTH expected to leave? Really? I think we need to check your stats.
Does anyone know if this post is Nited?
ETSU, I am just messing with you...but I could say, I have been speaking with my first cousin who is the team manager...he says that Mashack is waiting until tomorrow so he wouldn't be stealing Aidoo's thunder...and ZZ is announcing Monday for same reason. It is all due to Barnes announcing his retirement sometime early next week.

Does the NIL contracts these kids sign have an out clause with no penalties or have penalties like must refund X amount of money if you leave and transfer before the contract is fulfilled? Just curious because that would stop all these transferring if these kids have to start paying back hundreds of thousands of dollars like coaches who leave does.
Payback for what? They can't be tied to a school or performance based

How do you know “he likes Barnes” and if he does is that enough to keep him? Obviously it wasn’t the case with Awaka and Aidoo. Barnes is NOT a player’s coach. He is hard nosed and has high expectations. He is old school and good at it. That is no longer a recipe for success.
You do realize that UConn has won it two years in a row, and Hurley has that same old school recipe…

VN Store

Back