Matt Stinchcomb ranks the Top 10 SEC RB's

Yup. This is my pro-Hurd argument:

899 rushing yards. 1120 total yards.

-Worst O-line probably in the history of UT
-Played against the best SEC East D-lines (Mizzou, Florida)
-Played against 2 of the best SEC West D-lines (Ole Miss, Bama)
-Played against a very good Oklahoma D-line.
-Iowa's D-line was no slouch.
-Hurd wasn't even the starter until mid-season.
-Hurd was out for 2 stat-padding games (UTC, Vandy)

Still ended up with 1120 all-purpose.
We play everyone in the East. Not sure why you would point out we played the best of the East D lines.

Reactions: 1 person
Henry has been very impressive during his first two seasons at Alabama but mostly in mop-up roles vs defenses that are already beat down while he was fresh. It will be interesting to see how he runs vs defenses at the start of the game. Also, can he stand up to the punishment physically running it 20-25 a game in that situation. As one media hack said, "every meaningful down at Alabama last yr, TJ Yeldon was in the game; there was a reason for that."

Ranking the top SEC running backs

Has Hurd ranked #8.

Trying not to be a homer, but I think Hurd is in the Top 5 easily.

1. Chubb
2. Leonard Fournette
3. Derrick Henry
4. Russel Hansbrough (Mizz)
5. Jonathan Williams (Ark)
6. Roc Thomas (Aub)
7. Alex Collins (Ark)
8. Hurd
9. Ralph Webb (Vandy)
10. Kelvin Taylor

It's worth noting that UT (of course) plays 4 of the Top 5 SEC RB's this year. There are actually only 2 on the list we don't play against.

Thoughts?

I could've posted that yesterday. :) Fall practice begins 8/4.

I would like for someone like JP or LWSVOL to put together a chart comparing our starting OLine in terms of what year each was in college (Fr, So, Jr, etc..) from 2009 to present date compared to a team like Georgia that has had stability. Then chart the success of the running backs with both teams.

A chart with the experience of the OLine trend along with RB production comparing the two teams would be telling..

With that said, Hurd had to work very hard for his yards last year..

It's hard to argue with that list. Hurd could be the best but the SEC is extremely deep with big time RB's this season. We are very lucky to have two of them.

I would put Hurd ahead of Thomas and Hansbrough right now however. Hurd almost got a thousand yards behind a horrible line last year.

Yeah. I think Hansbrough only is higher because he had more yards last year. Jalen worked much harder for his.

From a pro perspective, I'd say:

Henry
Fournette
Chubb
Hurd
Collins

Past that, let's let the chips fall. We might have two backs go over 1,000 this year. We haven't done that in a while...a long while.

It's hard to rate the Vol's RB's, because the Oline was the worst in UT history and I'm still somewhat concerned about this group, until they prove different no one will be convinced.
Go Vol's

From a pro perspective, I'd say:

Henry
Fournette
Chubb
Hurd
Collins

Past that, let's let the chips fall. We might have two backs go over 1,000 this year. We haven't done that in a while...a long while.

Last time was 2004. I think if that happens we will be in the ATL come December.

I would put Hurd ahead of Thomas and Hansbrough right now however. Hurd almost got a thousand yards behind a horrible line last year.

You can't make that point apparently. Chubb and Fournette could run behind a middle school line and be all Americans.

Last edited:
Last time was 2004. I think if that happens we will be in the ATL come December.

I believe Arky did that last year, though don't quote me.

If our Defense continues to show growth and our O-Line is serviceable+, I think we have a puncher's chance at Atl.

Optimism reigns supreme in July...

It is patently absurd to posit that in a 14 team conference, Jalen Hurd ranks in the lower half--number eight--in that conference.

Stinchcomb is a typical dumb jock who is incapable of looking past UT's substandard offensive line and concentrating solely on what he's SUPPOSED to be ranking: running backs.

God bless that dumb ass if he had to get a real job to survive.

hansbrough had more yards and yards after contact than leonard hes made the case to be in top 5

I believe Arky did that last year, though don't quote me.

If our Defense continues to show growth and our O-Line is serviceable+, I think we have a puncher's chance at Atl.

Optimism reigns supreme in July...

Arky may have last year. I meant the last time the Vols had two 1000 yd backs in the same year was 04

Hurd made strides last year but based on the body of work and not just the body and potential it's hard to put Hurd top 5 with as loaded as the SEC is.

Good news is he, Kamara, and this oline have plenty to think about for motivation.

Hurd should be in the top 5. He put up good numbers for a true freshman running back behind an awful OL. Imagine if he would of ran behind Georgia or Arkansas's line. If that was the case, he easily would of had another 250 rushing yards on the season and would be as highly thought of as the other true sophomore backs in the SEC.

My top 5 would be this:

1. Chubb
2. Fournette
3. Collins
4. Henry
5. Hurd

Yup. This is my pro-Hurd argument:

899 rushing yards. 1120 total yards.

-Worst O-line probably in the history of UT
-Played against the best SEC East D-lines (Mizzou, Florida)
-Played against 2 of the best SEC West D-lines (Ole Miss, Bama)
-Played against a very good Oklahoma D-line.
-Iowa's D-line was no slouch.
-Hurd wasn't even the starter until mid-season.
-Hurd was out for 2 stat-padding games (UTC, Vandy)

Still ended up with 1120 all-purpose.
All of this.

VN Store

Back