Matt Stinchcomb ranks the Top 10 SEC RB's

One thing about Hurd is that he always falls forward.. When you have a 6'3" fall forward, a couple of yards are almost automatic. I agree he should get a lot more looks in close yardage situations this year. He will also get more TDs because he is just tougher to bring down with the extra weight, strength, and confidence.
if all goes well, i think the threat of Dobbs and Kamara runnig could also benefit Hurd.

if this offense can do what it wants to do running the ball with the different options that will be available, Hurd could and should benefit greatly. and vice versa for Kamara and Dobbs.

Plus , i doubt they want to deliberately inflict additional hits on Dobbs if they can be avoided. basically, run Dobbs because they can, not because they have to.

I'm sorry, but Hurd is just not as good as Chubb yet. He could continue to improve and Chubb could stagnate, but right now it's dumb to suggest otherwise. On the other hand, he also isn't #8. How is he just barely better than Ralph Webb? I'm sorry but that Vandy running back only gets attention because they rotated between 4 different QB's none of which could accurately throw the ball. They had to rely on him which padded his stats.

Hurd will have a big chance to break out this year. I think he is 3 or 4 spots better than where they have him ranked, but it's understandable as to why he is ranked there. I'm thinking by the end of the season (or maybe mid-season) analysts and fans will realize Hurd is no joke. I fully expect to see Hurd break through tackles as aggressively as he was in the Iowa game. He was mowing people over.

Having money, giving some to children, and being a dumb ass are not mutually exclusive. Now, Mr. Visiting Dawg, go visit somewhere else...preferably a place where you can find a soul mate to carry on your man crush for your beloved Stink.., I mean, Stinch.

You are right, having money and creating a foundation for children's charities doesn't exclude one from being a dumbarse. However, you don't see a lot of dumbarses graduating summa cum laude and then graduating from the Harvard Business School’s Executive Education Business Management and Entrepreneurial Program.

I have no man crush on Stinch and I certainly have no man crush on Peyton but I'm smart enough to recognize intelligent men that happen to be model citizens.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm sorry, but Hurd is just not as good as Chubb yet. He could continue to improve and Chubb could stagnate, but right now it's dumb to suggest otherwise. On the other hand, he also isn't #8. How is he just barely better than Ralph Webb? I'm sorry but that Vandy running back only gets attention because they rotated between 4 different QB's none of which could accurately throw the ball. They had to rely on him which padded his stats.

Hurd will have a big chance to break out this year. I think he is 3 or 4 spots better than where they have him ranked, but it's understandable as to why he is ranked there. I'm thinking by the end of the season (or maybe mid-season) analysts and fans will realize Hurd is no joke. I fully expect to see Hurd break through tackles as aggressively as he was in the Iowa game. He was mowing people over.

Good take. Hurd is being greatly under appreciated by all the "experts" doing their preseason lists which have little to no weight. On the other hand, there's no way anyone should say he's equal to or better than Chubb based on what we saw/we each accomplished last year in terms of rushing yards.

However, he was the leading receiver among all SEC rbs last year, was an outstanding blocker and leader and I wouldn't swap him for any other back in the league personally. I'm thrilled to have Jalen, he's an all-SEC, all-American type talent and I believe he'll have a great year if he stays healthy.

Good take. Hurd is being greatly under appreciated by all the "experts" doing their preseason lists which have little to no weight. On the other hand, there's no way anyone should say he's equal to or better than Chubb based on what we saw/we each accomplished last year in terms of rushing yards.

However, he was the leading receiver among all SEC rbs last year, was an outstanding blocker and leader and I wouldn't swap him for any other back in the league personally. I'm thrilled to have Jalen, he's an all-SEC, all-American type talent and I believe he'll have a great year if he stays healthy.

+1. And especially agree on the statement in Bold.

good posts. it's all out ahead of him this year. and remember, Chub, while considered good, was behind Gurley. Chub wasn't on top of anyone's lists last pre season.

he had it all out in front of him too, and a year later, here we are.

it's pre season. it's fodder to pass the time, and on some level it's fun to debate all this stuff.

Here is a thought experiment. UT is down by 5 to Bama in Bryant Denny. 4th and goal from the 3. 5 seconds left in the game. What is the play call? Who gets the ball? Who do you trust to win you the game?
Right now I think the answer is Dobbs rolling out with a run pass option or a jet sweep to Pig. When the answer is a toss to Hurd or Hurd up the middle or off tackle then I'll put him in the top 3.

Stupid list by an ignorant homer.

All pre-season lists are subjective and by definition stupid. They have no real value.

Why do we keep reading them and commenting on them. There's going to be at least one or two freshmen or Juco guys that will make this list obsolete. There will be an injury or two.

Put a list of the most productive backs in the SEC after the season is over and there will be something to comment on. Until then, we're just biding time until kickoff.

Here is a thought experiment. UT is down by 5 to Bama in Bryant Denny. 4th and goal from the 3. 5 seconds left in the game. What is the play call? Who gets the ball? Who do you trust to win you the game?
Right now I think the answer is Dobbs rolling out with a run pass option or a jet sweep to Pig. When the answer is a toss to Hurd or Hurd up the middle or off tackle then I'll put him in the top 3.

This is how far we've dropped. When we were good enough to go toe to toe with Bama, the call would be tailback over the top or fake that and corner fade. We'd never roll out from the 3.

So the I lines these guys play behind or other backs they play with shouldn't be considered? What criteria should be used then on a pre season projection list for RB?

YAC.

JMO on Hurd. He runs with good power, but is tall and his pad level isn't great. He has good, but not great speed.

As for the ranking, I think it is accurate. Where do you think he would be on UGA's depth chart?

if you remove emotions from the equation, then this list isn't a slam or devaluation of anyone. It basically puts guys where their last year stats left them for the most part...with maybe a little subjective analysis of where they'll likely end up this year.

I like Hurd, and as others have stated, wouldn't trade him for any of the other guys based on the intangibles mentioned throughout the responses in this thread. I'm really excited to see him and Kamara have a great year!

This. Who cares where he is listed on a pre-season list? This line of thinking is similar to the star-gazers in recruiting. None of this crap means anything when you step on the field.

We know, and more importantly, the staff knows what they have in Hurd.

YAC.

JMO on Hurd. He runs with good power, but is tall and his pad level isn't great. He has good, but not great speed.

As for the ranking, I think it is accurate. Where do you think he would be on UGA's depth chart?

interesting query...I definitely like to see what he would do behind UGA's OL....he's a hard guy to take down when he gets to the second level. Not sure how comparable the running styles of the rest of your stable are, but it'd be the only valid way to make a true comparison.

interesting query...I definitely like to see what he would do behind UGA's OL....he's a hard guy to take down when he gets to the second level. Not sure how comparable the running styles of the rest of your stable are, but it'd be the only valid way to make a true comparison.

He has a different style, due to his height, than the UGA backs. Both Chubb and Michel have a two gap cut. Not many backs can do that. Hurd's stride is too long for that.

Chubb is 5'-11", 230#
Michel is 5'-10", 208#
Marshall is 5'-10", 215#. Marshall is the burner. All are 5 stars.

This is how far we've dropped. When we were good enough to go toe to toe with Bama, the call would be tailback over the top or fake that and corner fade. We'd never roll out from the 3.

I'm hoping that Hurd turns into that wrecking ball that can get those tough, goal line yards. Look at Ingram's TD in the 08 SEC championship game. That's hitting the hole with purpose (twss) and what I want to see from Hurd this season. Also Fournette's TD run vs UF last year when he trucked that safety. Hopefully Hurd brings those kinds of crushing blows

YAC.

No way to know this, so it's a completely irrelevant question. Just like me asking "how many yards would Chubb have had behind Tennessee's God-awful OL last year?" It would be pure speculation.

Chubb was the best rb in the conference last year after Gurley went down. Kid is special, just outstanding. But I can also point to the fact that Hurd ran for 900 yds and led all sec rbs in receptions last year despite essentially missing 2 games, behind the worst OL GOD has ever put on earth. Edge certainly goes to Chubb over Hurd and everybody else at this point...but I can honestly tell you I wouldn't swap Hurd for Chubb or any other SEC RB.

Reactions: 2 people

That is a gametime decision that mostly depends on how the entire game has played out. If Hurd is breaking tackles and picking up 3 yards easily the whole game then you run him off-tackle to the outside and see if he can power in. If Bama is stuffing our line and crippling our run game, then any sort of run call (up the middle, off-tackle, etc.) would just seem stupid and subject to criticism.

No way to know this, so it's a completely irrelevant question. Just like me asking "how many yards would Chubb have had behind Tennessee's God-awful OL last year?" It would be pure speculation.

Chubb was the best rb in the conference last year after Gurley went down. Kid is special, just outstanding. But I can also point to the fact that Hurd ran for 900 yds and led all sec rbs in receptions last year despite essentially missing 2 games, behind the worst OL GOD has ever put on earth. Edge certainly goes to Chubb over Hurd and everybody else at this point...but I can honestly tell you I wouldn't swap Hurd for Chubb or any other SEC RB.

I like Hurd. He got some tough yards against UGA.

I like Hurd. He got some tough yards against UGA.

And I like Chubb and Michel as well. You can see the talent oozing from both. The conference is absolutely stacked with top notch rbs this year and, IMHO, you have more than your share in those 2, Marshall and Turman. That being said, we'll roll with 5 stars Hurd and Kamara and hope that Kelly and/or Young can provide something anywhere near the depth that Georgia has at the position.

YAC.

presently, probably 2nd.

yac is probably a good one. but i would still go back to what they both have up front. while i won't discount the individual's ability to make something out of nothing, cutting ability, "getting skinny" etc....i don't recall too many times last year where we got to the 2nd level of the defense all that often.

Hurd had to do a lot on his own. Chub is faster and can probably get by defenders better, but i don't think it's a stretch that he benefited from better O line play than what Hurd got at UTK last season.

presently, probably 2nd.

yac is probably a good one. but i would still go back to what they both have up front. while i won't discount the individual's ability to make something out of nothing, cutting ability, "getting skinny" etc....i don't recall too many times last year where we got to the 2nd level of the defense all that often.

Hurd had to do a lot on his own. Chub is faster and can probably get by defenders better, but i don't think it's a stretch that he benefited from better O line play than what Hurd got at UTK last season.
I agree. It's hard to compare different styles.

VN Store

Back