6) Hansbrough
7) Collins
8) Roc Thomas
9) Sony Micheal
10) Brandon Wilds

* Kamara and Javon Robinson could move into the top 10 by mid-season

Ranking the top SEC running backs

Has Hurd ranked #8.

Trying not to be a homer, but I think Hurd is in the Top 5 easily.

1. Chubb
2. Leonard Fournette
3. Derrick Henry
4. Russel Hansbrough (Mizz)
5. Jonathan Williams (Ark)
6. Roc Thomas (Aub)
7. Alex Collins (Ark)
8. Hurd
9. Ralph Webb (Vandy)
10. Kelvin Taylor

It's worth noting that UT (of course) plays 4 of the Top 5 SEC RB's this year. There are actually only 2 on the list we don't play against.

Thoughts?

Question is how did Vandy make #9 behind Hurd. Are you kidding me that Hurd is only better than that dude? And where is Kamara???

:thud:

Tennesseeduke

Reactions: 1 person
hard to argue, given the ? we may have on the O line. there are a lot of good RB's in the SEC this year, with what is at least perceived as, with better O lines.... plus Hurd will split time with Kamara, so who knows how that will impact carries, yards, td's etc........

it'll be interesting though to come back to this at the end of the year and see how it all pans out.
Look what the cat dragged in.

They shouldn't rank the players by how many yards they will get due to their OL.

So the I lines these guys play behind or other backs they play with shouldn't be considered? What criteria should be used then on a pre season projection list for RB?

Hurd should be in the top 5. He put up good numbers for a true freshman running back behind an awful OL. Imagine if he would of ran behind Georgia or Arkansas's line. If that was the case, he easily would of had another 250 rushing yards on the season and would be as highly thought of as the other true sophomore backs in the SEC.

My top 5 would be this:

1. Chubb
2. Fournette
3. Collins
4. Henry
5. Hurd
Something everybody should take into account was Hurd's last outing against what was thought to be a decent Iowa Defense. I'm going strictly from memory and could be off, but my recall is 16 carries 122 yds and two TDs AND we xxxxing won the game. Does not point to a deteriorating OL, actually points to one which improved significantly from the start of the 2014 season.

Reactions: 2 people
Say what you want about the offensive line situation, but Chubb would have shattered the single season SEC rushing record had he started the whole season.

Chubb had 7 games where he had 13 carries or less.

Chubb averaged 165 yards per game in his last 8 games. If he had done that in the first 5 games, he would have run for 2,150 yards in the season.

A lot of SEC backs have played behind a lot of offensive lines, and 2,150 yards would be at the top of the all time single season list.

In other words, it wasn't the line.

Say what you want about the offensive line situation, but Chubb would have shattered the single season SEC rushing record had he started the whole season.

Chubb had 7 games where he had 13 carries or less.

Chubb averaged 165 yards per game in his last 8 games. If he had done that in the first 5 games, he would have run for 2,150 yards in the season.

A lot of SEC backs have played behind a lot of offensive lines, and 2,150 yards would be at the top of the all time single season list.

In other words, it wasn't the line.

Chubb is a freak. I said "better than Gurley" very early last season. A lot of people didn't agree with me at the time.

hard to argue, given the ? we may have on the O line. there are a lot of good RB's in the SEC this year, with what is at least perceived as, with better O lines.... plus Hurd will split time with Kamara, so who knows how that will impact carries, yards, td's etc........

it'll be interesting though to come back to this at the end of the year and see how it all pans out.

Nah, that's Kinda like saying Brady is a better QB than Peyton because he has a better team around him and more SB rings?

Hurd put up great numbers last yr behind an awful line and if not for missing game time could have easily went over the 1000 yrd mark. 900 yards as a freshman behind that line is saying a lot.

Has Hurd ranked #8.

1. Chubb
2. Leonard Fournette
3. Derrick Henry
6. Roc Thomas (Aub)
7. Alex Collins (Ark)
8. Hurd
9. Ralph Webb (Vandy)
10. Kelvin Taylor

It's worth noting that UT (of course) plays 4 of the Top 5 SEC RB's this year. There are actually only 2 on the list we don't play against.

Thoughts?
I noticed the same thing. He is a UGA homer and a UT hater. Hurd is No.4 at worst, and every bit the equal of Chubb or Fournette. When I watched Hurd's HS highlight reel, I was blown away. Hadn't seen anyone so dominant since Bo Jackson.

If he can stay healthy, he's going to get his respect. If you remember the UGA game, Hurd had more yardage at halftime than Gurley, and until late in the 3rd Qtr.

UGA's OL opened up a lot more holes than our OL did for Hurd. If our OL makes big strides this year, so will Hurd.

I think Hurd will get his love after this season. Anyone seen that article about Hurd being the most disrespected back? Even splitting carries with Kamara I think he has a breakout season.

I also think Hurd will get his respect this year. Most people don't watch the games, so they go simply by stats. Stats-wise Hurd doesn't have much of an argument against the likes of Chubb or Fournette. But IMO he's just as talented.

Just remember one thing. No one was talking about Ezekiel Elliot at this time last season. Alot can change in a year. I wouldn't be surprised if Hurd is being talked about next season the same way Ezekiel Elliot and Nick Chubb are being talked about right now.

I noticed the same thing. He is a UGA homer and a UT hater. Hurd is No.4 at worst, and every bit the equal of Chubb or Fournette. When I watched Hurd's HS highlight reel, I was blown away. Hadn't seen anyone so dominant since Bo Jackson.

If he can stay healthy, he's going to get his respect. If you remember the UGA game, Hurd had more yardage at halftime than Gurley, and until late in the 3rd Qtr.

UGA's OL opened up a lot more holes than our OL did for Hurd. If our OL makes big strides this year, so will Hurd.

If you watched SEC media days, there was one thing Butch said about Hurd that stuck out to me. He said that this off-season, Hurd has proved to be one of the most determined players he's ever had. Talked about his work ethnic and how he wants to improve. Also mentioned he's now 242 lbs.

I really think Hurd explodes this season. He'll be getting compared to Adrian Peterson and Marcus Allen like the guys who called the Iowa game. He's as fast as Chubb but as big as Fournette. The season can't come soon enough. I'm so amped for so many guys on the team.

Reactions: 1 person
Chubb is a freak. I said "better than Gurley" very early last season. A lot of people didn't agree with me at the time.

Me too, before he ever started a game, and was laughed at. Having watched his HS film, you just could tell he was special. I even drafted him in the devy draft of my dynasty fantasy league last summer before he took his first snap at UGA. I parlayed him into Odell Beckham this summer.

If you watched SEC media days, there was one thing Butch said about Hurd that stuck out to me. He said that this off-season, Hurd has proved to be one of the most determined players he's ever had. Talked about his work ethnic and how he wants to improve. Also mentioned he's now 242 lbs.

I really think Hurd explodes this season. He'll be getting compared to Adrian Peterson and Marcus Allen like the guys who called the Iowa game. He's as fast as Chubb but as big as Fournette. The season can't come soon enough. I'm so amped for so many guys on the team.

I expect great things from Hurd this season regardless of the comparisons being made and how he stacks up. There are a ton of NFL type elite backs in this league, Jalen being one of them. Also, I think he's bigger than Fournette and I think he's neither as quick nor as fast as Chubb. Jmo.

Last edited:
You guys are undervaluing the Oline these kids are running behind. Hurd has the ability to be just as good as Chubb and Fournette. IMO those three and Henry are a step above the rest in terms of potential. Our offensive line was one of the most inexperienced and overmatched units in that we've put on the field in a long time.

Hansborough will lead the SEC in rushing this year. Missouri has none of their receivers back and a really good O-Line. They will feed him the ball. Watched him run for 199 yards against T A&M last year on just 20 carries that's right at 10 YPC. This does not make him the best back but whoever leads rushing usually makes 1st team SEC and have talking heads attention.

Has Hurd ranked #8.

1. Chubb
2. Leonard Fournette
3. Derrick Henry
6. Roc Thomas (Aub)
7. Alex Collins (Ark)
8. Hurd
9. Ralph Webb (Vandy)
10. Kelvin Taylor

Thoughts?

Dramatically underrating Hurd. Hurd should be at #3.

Chubb is definitely top-notch. I watched Fournette at the end of last season and he could end up being the best back in the SEC this year. I wouldn't argue with either of those guys behind ahead of Hurd.

But I have to agree with everyone else that points out that Hurd had monster yards with a terrible O-line. You look at Hurd vs all of our other backs, and he was simply on a different level, even playing under some of the worst of circumstances. Keep him healthy and give him a decent OL and he's definitely top 5 in the SEC.

It is patently absurd to posit that in a 14 team conference, Jalen Hurd ranks in the lower half--number eight--in that conference.

Stinchcomb is a typical dumb jock who is incapable of looking past UT's substandard offensive line and concentrating solely on what he's SUPPOSED to be ranking: running backs.

God bless that dumb ass if he had to get a real job to survive.

Stinchcomb may hate UT. His RB rankings may or may not be accurate but I can certainly assure you he is no dumb arse and he has actually had a real job and done quite well.

Stinch is also active in children's charities and spends his own money to support those causes. You may dislike Stinch because he's a Dawg. I get that but he is about as good of a guy as you will ever meet and your criticism of Stinch makes about as much sense as if I called Peyton a D/A.

Nah, that's Kinda like saying Brady is a better QB than Peyton because he has a better team around him and more SB rings?

Hurd put up great numbers last yr behind an awful line and if not for missing game time could have easily went over the 1000 yrd mark. 900 yards as a freshman behind that line is saying a lot.

lol. i hear ya. and i agree about Hurd. i think he does get shortchanged. but i do think it's b/c he didn't have the #'s some other guys did....whether it be games not played or the line he ran behind.

also let's not forget Worley didn't exactly scare opposing defenses. they would gear up to stop the run and see if he could beat them. he couldn't.

basically, i think Hurd earned what he got last year, and i'd love to see what he could do with a more balanced attack, better O line etc....

i'm not slighting Hurd here. i think he's good. really good.

I also think Hurd will get his respect this year. Most people don't watch the games, so they go simply by stats. Stats-wise Hurd doesn't have much of an argument against the likes of Chubb or Fournette. But IMO he's just as talented.

Just remember one thing. No one was talking about Ezekiel Elliot at this time last season. Alot can change in a year. I wouldn't be surprised if Hurd is being talked about next season the same way Ezekiel Elliot and Nick Chubb are being talked about right now.

Ez E is getting all the talk bc he came up big in big games. If Hurd wants to be mentioned in the same class as Chubb and Fournette then he'll have 4 games to get it. If he goes over 150 in the OU, UF, UGA, and Bama game then he'll get the recognition. People outside the program don't care how many yards he had against UK or Iowa.

Also only 5 rushing TD's, seriously Butch? You can't feed this kid in the red zone? We get within 5 yards and it's just jet sweeps, screen passes, and QB runs. Hurd needs to play to the level where the announcers are questioning the coaches any time he doesn't get the ball in goal to go situations.

When you're rating RBs you're essentially rating the OL and the RB. So in this case, this looks right.

This OL is the worst in the entire Tennessee Vol history so we don't really know the full potential of Hurd yet.

Based on the year 2015? We haven't kicked off yet, Einstein.

A REAL quote by Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"

Stinchcomb may hate UT. His RB rankings may or may not be accurate but I can certainly assure you he is no dumb arse and he has actually had a real job and done quite well.

Stinch is also active in children's charities and spends his own money to support those causes. You may dislike Stinch because he's a Dawg. I get that but he is about as good of a guy as you will ever meet and your criticism of Stinch makes about as much sense as if I called Peyton a D/A.

Having money, giving some to children, and being a dumb ass are not mutually exclusive. Now, Mr. Visiting Dawg, go visit somewhere else...preferably a place where you can find a soul mate to carry on your man crush for your beloved Stink.., I mean, Stinch.

Ez E is getting all the talk bc he came up big in big games. If Hurd wants to be mentioned in the same class as Chubb and Fournette then he'll have 4 games to get it. If he goes over 150 in the OU, UF, UGA, and Bama game then he'll get the recognition. People outside the program don't care how many yards he had against UK or Iowa.

Also only 5 rushing TD's, seriously Butch? You can't feed this kid in the red zone? We get within 5 yards and it's just jet sweeps, screen passes, and QB runs. Hurd needs to play to the level where the announcers are questioning the coaches any time he doesn't get the ball in goal to go situations.

One thing about Hurd is that he always falls forward.. When you have a 6'3" fall forward, a couple of yards are almost automatic. I agree he should get a lot more looks in close yardage situations this year. He will also get more TDs because he is just tougher to bring down with the extra weight, strength, and confidence.

VN Store

Back