Odds on Suburban Meyer

Of those 3 schools i feel Florida State makes the most sense. Im sure still has loads of high school connections for recruiting.

Reactions: onevol74
Yeah, if only there was someone with all the UT-hating Florida affiliation of Spurrier, combined with the arrogant lying Yankeesness of Schiano. Oh wait! There might be such a guy!

Reactions: SoFloVFL and hmhawk
Yes, he is. Extremely.

I hope Jermy gets it did, cause Leach, Meyer, Kiffin, Stoops nor any successful P5 head coach will be hired here if he doesn't. Everyone better be praying to whatever god they pray to that Jeremy Pruitt figures this out.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
I hope Jermy gets it did, cause Leach, Meyer, Kiffin, Stoops nor any successful P5 head coach will be hired here if he doesn't. Everyone better be praying to whatever god they pray to that Jeremy Pruitt figures this out.

I agree 100%. I donā€™t want to go through another search anytime soon. I was so pissed after the Ga St debacle that I wrote Pruitt off. I still think heā€™s over his head and probably wonā€™t last 2 more years. But with all my heart, I WANT HIM TO. I want him to become Dabo and embrace all that is TN, build his OWN legacy and become the second coming of General Neyland. Itā€™s in the best interest of our program that he gets at least 4 years unless the wins are few, the losses are bad and the recruiting tanks. If those things happen, call Stoops and offer him a Gruden contract. 10 years 100 mil and see if heā€™d take it.

Personally, I hope Pruitt is the guy and can get us where we want to be. A win tomorrow would go a long way to making sure he has the time to put a system in and take us to greatness.

That being said, if Pruitt isn't the guy, getting Urban Meyer would be the best thing that's happened to this program in a long time based on perception alone. He may be a slimeball, but at this point I'd let Hannibal Lecter coach this team if it meant we could get to the SEC championship again.

Not saying I think it's likely that A) Pruitt gets fired, or B) our bigwigs would shell out the money for a top tier coach like Meyer, but no one can argue that the product on the field would be better than it has been in a LONG time.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
Honestly, I think Pruitt gets this year and next unless he completely folds this year. If we get a bowl game this year, he's here next year. I would think that being in the mix for the SEC title would be the expectation starting next year. Suck again next year and he is gone.
I think Kiffy would be on the phone asking for the job if that happens. I doubt Fulmer would entertain the idea though. Urban would say no immediately.
My thinking is when Phil took over he just wanted to get a solid coach in place right away and did not really go all out to try and lure a top candidate. Pruitt is a solid guy. I think he knows football and seems to run a clean program. Right now I don't think he is, and maybe will never be, a top 10 coach. Time will tell.
I think Phil would have no problem paying a high price for a coach, however I don't have confidence he would choose wisely. I believe he has deep love for UT and wants it back to prominence. I also wonder how big his ego is and if he would hire someone who would challenge or exceed his legacy.
I don't know what his relationship is with the Haslams either and we all know how much influence they have.

Reactions: onevol74 and UTP69
This one tears me to the core. I really do think Meyer is a slimeball but I also really believe he is currently the 3rd best coach in the nation. He is the type of coach to get us out of our doldrums. I joked on another thread I would make a deal with the devil to be good again but was only joking. It looks like with Meyer the devil has met me at the crossroads.

I think we all have to realistically acknowledge that almost all college coaches have a certain degree of ā€œslime factorā€ to them.

People said the same thing about Chip Kelly. Just saying.
Kelly is about half the coach Urban is and USC has way more resources than UCLA, which despite being a big name/big market has not had a lot of historical football success. 3 titles at two different schools (including 2 in the SEC), not far removed from his last title at all.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
UT doesnā€™t know how to invest in high end football coaches.

We figured it out in basketball but for some reason football has alluded us.
With the exception of Johnny Majors and potential exception of Rick Barnes (him being a "high end" coach is debatable), Tennessee has never hired a football/basketball head coach that has already won at a high level at another prominent program. And in all likelihood, the only reason we were able to get Majors is because he was coming back home.

None of the post-Fulmer guys have, Fulmer hadn't, Battle hadn't, Dickey hadn't, Neyland hadn't, Bruce Pearl hadn't.

Meyer won't come back to the SEC until Saban's gone. Forgotten Timmy crying the SEC Champ game? I'm sure Meyer hasn't forgotten that beating either and will continue to flow to the place where it takes less effort to be on top.

Meyer beat Saban the last time they played. Bama fans were running their mouth for a month before that game about how Saban was going to beat Meyer so bad that it would force him to retire. Then Ohio State punched Bama in the mouth and shut them up for a month or so.

This is so exhausting. Every few years, what about this guy, what about that guy. For all the 'guys', we've gotten Dooley, Butch and now Pruitt. The chances are good we keep JP 3 years too long and then hire Chad Flobee. Who? Exactly

VN Store

Back