Offensive Breakdown: Utah State

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRKwJbxfRTc[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilDSy0AldIA[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2e2LWIpQnE[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9huebZjUkY[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yb4n6slz7A[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJcPCVWvYm4[/youtube]

I'm going to post 12 individual videos that Vol8188 wanted to specifically comment on.

Here goes.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uib282YlJ6g[/youtube]

There's a lot to take in from this play. This is the first time we showed the flex defense with Weatherd playing the flex tackle.

The coverage looks a lot like cover 1, but normally the more players you have on one side of the ball, the less likely you are to play man to man. This is because they have more players to potentially cross. So I imagine it's a zone concept, or most likely a banjo concept. This would have two players banjo ing 1 and 2, and 2 players banjoing 3 and 4 (you count wide receivers from the sideline in, so 1 is farthest inside and 4 and closest to the qb).

Beyond the coverage the other interesting part of the scheme is how we attempted to create pressure from a 4 man rush using an isolation blitz. We isolate the flex player (Weatherd) by slanting the nose weak and putting the leo on a wide outside rush. This takes the center away with the nose and the tackle away with the Leo. What it leaves is an athletic mismatch. One of our most dynamic athletes 1 on 1 in space, with their offensive guard. Weatherd had a two way go on the guard, meaning he is allowed to go to either gap. And it's simply too much space and too big of a misrmatch for that guard to ever win.

Reactions: 4 people
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X0cCeVU8I8[/youtube]

The first thing I like here is the formation. We've set the RB and TE to the same side of the field. This widens the defensive end because of the 3 man surface on the offensive line (a 3 man surface means you a guard, tackle, and tight end to one side or two tackles and a guard). By widening the DE you prevent Worley from having the keep. Who would you rather have with the ball, Worley or Lane and Hurd? Later in the game the DE doesn't widen with our TE so we block down on him and Worley keeps.

The next thing to point out isn't so good. On inside zone an Olineman tries to stay relatively square. You should never get turned around like he does. He's also following a player backside. The defensive lineman slants away from the play and he tries to run with him for no apparent reason. He should have stepped play side, stayed square, and when no defensive lineman showed, climbed up to the lb (the guy who made the play). If he had done this, we would have had a huge play because their defensive tackle slanted across crowders face and there was noone in the Weakside a to b gaps (except the lb Gilliam didn't get).

Robertson makes more of a rookie mistake. You teach zone lineman to come off the ball harder than they've ever came off the ball when they are on a double team. This is because if the lineman tries to slant inside on you, you have help. Here he didn't have help so he should have been more under control. You also normally teach that guard to take his left arm and punch the guy in the stomach if he tries to come inside.

Reactions: 3 people
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPQagvqgQpQ[/youtube]

We did a great job of mixing up our rush schemes and getting off the field on 3rd down. This time we us a double flex look. This is very close to a double eagle look, except the 3 techniques are flexed lbs.

Our 2 flex players are Johnson and Maggit this time, and I believe it's Reeves-Maybin behind them. We run a cross stunt with Maybin and Maggit. Maybin is on a delay blitz through the B gap and Maggit aligns as the flex to the top and then makes an inside move to a gap.

The two things I really like here are the coverage and Johnson's technique. Johnson plays the flex and even contacts the guard, but if you watch him, he isn't trying blitz.
He's playing a spy but they want him to contact a lineman just to occupy a blocker. But he's just playing the qb. The other interesting thing is that noone is there to take the RB is he were to release.

This is a scheme most people call a check blitz. The edge rusher at the top of the screen (Vereen perhaps) is most likely responsible for him if he releases. But if not he goes. So check the RB, as you blitz. Coverage is probably cover 1, although I can't see the safety.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1ymCUe5OkY[/youtube]

Think I've watched this one like 50 times. If Hurd bounces the run outside to the right he's probably still running. Josh Smith got his guy turned inside and North is North on a block. Big open space on the right side after Kerbyson whips his man.

Understandable that Hurd went with the safe play to get the 1st down but man that blocking on the right side of the line with Smith and North up top was a thing of beauty.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPQagvqgQpQ[/youtube]

Another play where we do some great things.

1. The offensive staff doesn't actually call a play to start with. They give the team a formation only. Some people call it freeze or check with me. The qb uses his cadence to try and get them to jump, but the real benefit you gain is from forcing them to show their hand. Safeties and lbs are taught to disguise coverages and blitzes and to time it up with the qb's cadence (qb says "down, set" and then the defense starts moving). By not calling a play at first, you make the defense show their hand, then you call the play you want at the line.

The other thing I like about this is that it was the first time we saw 2 safeties all night. So the OC saw two deep safeties and even on 3rd down he had confidence that our running game could get a first.

Offenses count safeties to see if they have a numerical advantage in the running game. Because they have two deep safeties, we have enough bodies to block everyone in the box. If they have 1 safety you have to read it in order to block everyone, and against 0 safeties you have to both read and leave one man unblocked (power read, speed option, and trap read).

The other thing to be proud of here is the entire strong side of the line. Crowder does a great job of getting around Robertson and finding work, Kerbyson does a great job of blocking a lb in space, and Hurd has a nice run.

Reactions: 1 person
The first thing I like here is the formation. We've set the RB and TE to the same side of the field. This widens the defensive end because of the 3 man surface on the offensive line (a 3 man surface means you a guard, tackle, and tight end to one side or two tackles and a guard). By widening the DE you prevent Worley from having the keep. Who would you rather have with the ball, Worley or Lane and Hurd? Later in the game the DE doesn't widen with our TE so we block down on him and Worley keeps.

The next thing to point out isn't so good. On inside zone an Olineman tries to stay relatively square. You should never get turned around like he does. He's also following a player backside. The defensive lineman slants away from the play and he tries to run with him for no apparent reason. He should have stepped play side, stayed square, and when no defensive lineman showed, climbed up to the lb (the guy who made the play). If he had done this, we would have had a huge play because their defensive tackle slanted across crowders face and there was noone in the Weakside a to b gaps (except the lb Gilliam didn't get).

Robertson makes more of a rookie mistake. You teach zone lineman to come off the ball harder than they've ever came off the ball when they are on a double team. This is because if the lineman tries to slant inside on you, you have help. Here he didn't have help so he should have been more under control. You also normally teach that guard to take his left arm and punch the guy in the stomach if he tries to come inside.

If Gilliam blocks the linebacker then that ball is taken to the house.

Another wrinkle I liked tonight was running the speed out with Pearson on our inside zone. I saw us do this on back to back plays, and each time Worley threw a great ball to Pearson for about 5 yards.

This is also why a lot of you guys kept asking "why aren't we running the ball more?". We were calling run plays, but the defensive alignment left our slots uncovered for easy catches that we couldn't pass up.

On this play Worley is reading the OLB (B) who is aligned halfway between Pearson and the offensive tackle. We are blocking the DE because he's playing so heavy inside (in B gap). Worley sees the OLB come inside for the zone play, and throws two great passes in a row with this unblocked LB in his face.
Just to add to this. I noticed the 2 receivers opposite Pearson were running hitch routes (spacing concept) and that appeared to be another option on the play. Worley never threw that, but we could see it in the future.

Attachments

• IZ Slot Out.jpg
    IZ Slot Out.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
One of my favorite wrinkles tonight was the jet sweep read. We brought Pearson in motion from the slot and blocked it like you would outside zone. Except we blocked the backside DE and left the Will linebacker. Worley read him. When a LB sees jet motion, they naturally want to run with it and we took advantage of that. The LB goes flying over the top to Pearson and Worley keeps the ball for about 7 yards and a first down.

When I watched the way this was blocked it looked like an inside zone to the left for the QB with a read on the middle linebacker and Lane blocking the strongside linebacker for the sweep on the right side. Kind of like a bash (back away) concept. The linemen are blocking it as if it's zone to the left for the QB But then you have the sweep to the right. I've not really seen any other teams running this jet motion like this. Most teams who option off a defender on the jet motion seem to be running inverted veer with the QB and motion guy both running to the playside. Here it appears the blocking is for the QB to go playside with the jet guy going backside. Is that what you are seeing?

Here's another interesting play I noticed (first picture). This is a packaged play with 4 options for Worley. We're lined up in a formation with the back, a tight end, and two receivers all to the field and a single receiver on the opposite side. The offensive line is blocking inside zone weak.

The middle linebacker is the key read. If he comes down to stop the run then Worley can throw the ball down the seam to the TE on a pop pass. If he drops to cover the TE then Worley can handoff on the inside zone because the LB wont be in position to make a play. If the nickel back starts creeping inside we also have the slot receiver on a bubble screen as an option. Lastly, If the cornerback on the single receiver side is playing way off then Worley could've thrown the hitch route.

The first time we ran this play (second picture), the middle linebacker comes down to stop the run but in doing so he leaves Wolf wide open. Worley makes the right read and throws the pop pass. The safety comes down to cover Wolf, but he gets there too early and we draw a pass interference flag.

Attachments

• IZ Y Pop.jpg
    IZ Y Pop.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IZ Y Pop 2.jpg
    IZ Y Pop 2.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: 1 person
Here's another interesting play I noticed (first picture). This is a packaged play with 4 options for Worley. We're lined up in a formation with the back, a tight end, and two receivers all to the field and a single receiver on the opposite side. The offensive line is blocking inside zone weak.

The middle linebacker is the key read. If he comes down to stop the run then Worley can throw the ball down the seam to the TE on a pop pass. If he drops to cover the TE then Worley can handoff on the inside zone because the LB wont be in position to make a play. If the nickel back starts creeping inside we also have the slot receiver on a bubble screen as an option. Lastly, If the cornerback on the single receiver side is playing way off then Worley could've thrown the hitch route.

The first time we ran this play (second picture), the middle linebacker comes down to stop the run but in doing so he leaves Wolf wide open. Worley makes the right read and throws the pop pass. The safety comes down to cover Wolf, but he gets there too early and we draw a pass interference flag.

Good stuff.

I wonder if Wolf has an option on that route. If he had cut the route off short to a hitch instead of a seam he may have had a chance to make a move after the catch.

I know it worked on the PI call but an option for Wolf there could make that an even more deadly play. For all I know he has an option there. Who knows.

Good stuff.

We did a great job with formation tonight. Most coaches (although not all) would call this formation king stack. King means the H-back (Wolf) is on the same side as the twins, stack tells the RB (Hurd) to align behind the H-back.

This set was our formation for our first TD. If you count, we have 4 of our 5 skill plays on one side of the football. This gives us a big advantage in the running game to that side of the field. So we brought Pig in motion and ran jet sweep to that side of the football, with both the H-back and RB leading the way.

:eek:lol:

VN Store

Back