Offensive Breakdown: Utah State

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQoakdI3URc[/youtube]

In the first half we called a lot more run plays than we actually ended up running. A lot of that is because of how agressive their outside linebackers were playing. On this one the lb steps inside for qb, and the qb does a great job of seeing that and getting the ball out to the bubble.

The corner does a horrible job. A corner should never come inside a block. But pig also has a decent block. Because the corner goes inside, the ball gets to the sidelines and we are gone.

Reactions: 1 person
A couple of things to notice about the previous diagram:

1. I didn't draw us blocking the MLB or SLB. On inside zone you double team the two tackle to the lbs. One problem we had in the running was getting off the double team and getting to the lbs. This one reason the running game struggled tonight, and it is something that simply takes reps. The other issue I saw in the running (and I don't like to put our players down, but) was that Jackson and Gilliam played awful.
I vehemently disagree with that last statement.

That's a practice 1 concept Gilliam screwed up that prevented a touchdown. It was blocked good enough playside, yet Gilliam is lost and doesn't realize as soon as his gap is clear, he needs to climb the ladder and chop his feet the the lb. As a coach, that's aggravating to see.

Also, as a fellow X's and O's junkie, I really appreciate this thread and will continue to post.

In the first half we called a lot more run plays than we actually ended up running. A lot of that is because of how agressive their outside linebackers were playing. On this one the lb steps inside for qb, and the qb does a great job of seeing that and getting the ball out to the bubble.

The corner does a horrible job. A corner should never come inside a block. But pig also has a decent block. Because the corner goes inside, the ball gets to the sidelines and we are gone.

Vol8188 -- I'd love to bring you in on my Give Him Six articles in the blog section. I think we could combine our stuff and make something really kick ass. If you might interested in collaborating, please let me know. What you're already doing is fantastic, so keep it up either way!

GIVE HIM SIX -- Utah State Tennessee Football

Last edited:
Because? Did you watch the film?

Yes, Mack Crowder spent the first quarter and a half getting physically abused and screwing up combo blocks. Gilliam and Jackson each had a few plays where they made mental mistakes, but neither of them had that consistently happen coupled with being physically outmatched, and Gilliam was up against their best DL in Larsen all night.

Yes, Mack Crowder spent the first quarter and a half getting physically abused and screwing up combo blocks. Gilliam and Jackson each had a few plays where they made mental mistakes, but neither of them had that consistently happen coupled with being physically outmatched, and Gilliam was up against their best DL in Larsen all night.

I vehemently disagree with your statement. You obviously watched another film. You write, "Spent the first quarter and a half," is a ridiculous statement. What you did see was one single play where step and body position was off during a drop back pass that didn't handle a bull rush. What you also noticed if you really watched a film were several pancakes and key blocks. I'm not sure of your motive but whatever it is how about getting on board with our team OR are you a Troll? lol

P.S. I looked at one of your posts from last year where you stated, "We couldn't get the yards because our O-Line is soft as whipped cream." LOL ... All 5 of those guys are NFL players now. ...

Last edited:
Okay I definitely let one play define my stance too much.

It happens. That one horrible play of Gilliams left a large impression on me. But like the previous poster said, Crowder had some key blocks. One of them was that 3rd down run by Hurd.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrVNcjnoqMg[/youtube]

This is jet sweep is one of the first played mentioned in the thread. We out number them by having four skill guys on one side of the football. Hurd also throws a pretty good cut block.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRKwJbxfRTc[/youtube]

This is the boot play we talked about earlier. It's a favorite of all zone teams. Even when we were running zone from under center under Kiffin, we ran this a ton. The reason is that inside zone has a natural split flow (the two backs go in opposite directions). So it's easy to boot away and hit that h-back in the flats. Also the TE in place of the slot makes it look more like a run.

This is jet sweep is one of the first played mentioned in the thread. We out number them by having four skill guys on one side of the football. Hurd also throws a pretty good cut block.

That play and block by Hurd is one of my favorites of the game.

One more interesting play. This is the reverse pass play we ran for Pig to throw to ball back to Devrin Young late in the 2nd quarter. This didn't get much attention because it was incomplete, but it was a nicely designed play by the coaches and if the pass had been better we easily could've scored on the play.

DY is going to take the handoff on the sweep to the left and sell it as an outside run play. Pig is coming from the slot on a reverse and gets the pitch from DY. (Pic 1)

The reverse action causes the nickel back to follow Pig and leave the backside wide open. North is running a deep post and that clears out the corner and the free safety. DY runs a wheel route up the sideline and is wide open. (Pic 2)

The reverse action messes up the defense and no one follows DY up the sideline. North has cleared out the corner with his deep route so DY is wide open. If Pig had not underthrown the ball it probably would've been a touchdown. Really nice play drawn up by Bajakian regardless. (Pic 3)

Attachments

• H Rev Pass 1.1.jpg
    H Rev Pass 1.1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1
  • H Rev Pass 1.2.jpg
    H Rev Pass 1.2.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 1
  • H Rev Pass 1.3.jpg
    H Rev Pass 1.3.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 2
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilDSy0AldIA[/youtube]

Plays like this give me hope for the running game. Decent blocks all around, we just never came off of our combo blocks and we get neither lb blocked. If we get off either combo block and pick up either lb, we have a nice play.

Gettin to the second level is somethin that takes time. So hopefully we will see a major improvement in this going forward. It is def a something worth keeping an eye on.

I'm loving this thread. Thanks 8188 and everyone else who has participated. I'm looking forward to the same for the Arkansas State game.

:hi:

I think that we will struggle to throw deep because Worley simply doesn't have the arm for it--or maybe it his unusual, stiff-armed delivery. Either way, it shouldn't be a major problem as it is much smarter to throw shorter rather than longer routes. The key to the offense will be whether we can run the ball when we get to the meat of the schedule, and whether we can keep defenses off-balance as opposed to being predictable. What I like most about our team under Jones is that we are hungry and play hard--that can help make up for deficiencies, not entirely, but it helps.

I think that we will struggle to throw deep because Worley simply doesn't have the arm for it--or maybe it his unusual, stiff-armed delivery. Either way, it shouldn't be a major problem as it is much smarter to throw shorter rather than longer routes. The key to the offense will be whether we can run the ball when we get to the meat of the schedule, and whether we can keep defenses off-balance as opposed to being predictable. What I like most about our team under Jones is that we are hungry and play hard--that can help make up for deficiencies, not entirely, but it helps.

Almost every one we missed on last week was overthrown...

Almost every one we missed on last week was overthrown...

And just like the arm strength, this is overstated as well. Watching the film he was very accurate and had very few overthrows.

There was one play were the wide receiver ran a post and he threw it down the sideline, but I don't count that against him. Most likely the wr ran the wrong route considering how many young players we have there.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2e2LWIpQnE[/youtube]

The play appears to be a basic zone read with a bubble to the trips side. Gilliam steps out on the DE (the read man) instead of blocking his playside gap. This allows the b gap defender to make a play in the backfield.

Gilliam made several mistakes I wouldn't have expected from a redshirt sr. The only excuse I can think of for this, is that he thought the play was zone left instead of right.

Last edited:
And just like the arm strength, this is overstated as well. Watching the film he was very accurate and had very few overthrows.

There was one play were the wide receiver ran a post and he threw it down the sideline, but I don't count that against him. Most likely the wr ran the wrong route considering how many young players we have there.

I hear you...I was just saying that I don't think arm strength is the issue. Do you agree?

Or are you saying that if the receivers had run the correct routes, they would have been underthrown?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yb4n6slz7A[/youtube]

Here is the first time we aligned in an under front. We ran this anytime their personnel grouping added up to 3 (12/21). This is where Maggit will walk up as a 9 technique, putting us into a 5 man front. Vereen is inside of him as 5 technique. Vereen does a great job of getting pressure here.

I can't see from my phone, but if someone could tell me who the weak side de was, that would be appreciated.

I hear you...I was just saying that I don't think arm strength is the issue. Do you agree?

Or are you saying that if the receivers had run the correct routes, they would have been underthrown?

No, you and I are on the same page. I'm just making a general statement that many people have overblown the few overthrow he had.

VN Store

Back