Offensive Breakdown: Utah State

The play appears to be a basic zone read with a bubble to the trips side. Gilliam steps out on the DE (the read man) instead of blocking his playside gap. This allows the b gap defender to make a play in the backfield.

Gilliam made several mistakes I wouldn't have expected from a redshirt sr. The only excuse I can think of for this, is that he thought the play was zone left instead of right.

That was probably Jacksons man. Vigil was an A-gap player

Great stuff, Vol8188. Thanks for all this. I knew I'd become pretty ignorant on the intricacies, but now I feel downright stupid. Much more educated, but still stupid.

Sorry for the late bump, but I just stumbled across this thread. Just wanted to say that all of this in depth analysis is proof how complex the game of football can be and that the average fan has no idea what all goes into each play, each game, each off-season. Not only to learn your own playbook, the nuance of each play, and your teammates tendencies, but each opponent's as well. My point is that us armchair coaches who think we know everything and exactly what to do and what play to call and which personnel needs to be in there just really need to let the coaches do their thing. Not that we can't ever question anything or have our own opinions, but understanding that 99 percent of us, as much as we think we know, really don't know what goes into it all and what it takes to be successful.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back