Official Depth Chart for BG

D4H, I like you a lot man, you know I like you.

But you gotta come to realize that these coaches you don't trust, they know a WHOLE lot more than you about these players you're trying to out-evaluate them on.

I mean a WHOLE LOT more. Trainloads more. Like those trains you counted as a kid, with 145 cars behind the engines, all full of stuff. That much more.

They've forgotten, re-remembered, forgotten again, and gone back to their notes to refresh their memory on more stuff than you've ever known for the first time, about most of these young men.

You're a college freshman physics 101 student arguing with Albert about the (his) general theory of relativity.

You're a Guitar Hero basement champion arguing with David Gilmour about how the 5-minute solo in Comfortably Numb should be played.

You're...

...well, you're being a little silly.

You don't have to trust the coaches. That's your prerogative. But you really should open your eyes and accept the fact that you know almost nothing about which player is better at what, and they know almost everything.

Love you, man. You're wrong.

Now that's just refreshing.

This post oughtta be pinned by the mods as the ideal way to argue a point.

Personally, my most erudite responses usually involve name calling, questioning the legitimacy of the poster's birth and repetitive "**** you's"...

Reactions: 1 person
This gonna be good.
Two Centers and 2 LT's.
Are they both going to snap the ball?
Are we going to play with 2 balls?
Will they snap the ball on the same count?

Loving this out of the box thinking.

9 man line when we have both TE's in. Must be another loop hole Butch found in the rules like when he brought 95 freshmen in the 2014 class.

Butch ain't scared.

Jumper is the starting linebacker and out played many touted players for the spot. I'm tired of hearing all this hate on him. He is our starter and we should support him even if he is a walk on/ginger.. Go VOLS!! We will findout what exactly he steals Saturday!!

The only grief that Jumper has gotten has been from a troll with a dozen posts. No one of consequence has said anything negative - dudes trying to get a response - don't feed him.

D4H, I like you a lot man, you know I like you.

But you gotta come to realize that these coaches you don't trust, they know a WHOLE lot more than you about these players you're trying to out-evaluate them on.

I mean a WHOLE LOT more. Trainloads more. Like those trains you counted as a kid, with 145 cars behind the engines, all full of stuff. That much more.

They've forgotten, re-remembered, forgotten again, and gone back to their notes to refresh their memory on more stuff than you've ever known for the first time, about most of these young men.

You're a college freshman physics 101 student arguing with Albert about the (his) general theory of relativity.

You're a Guitar Hero basement champion arguing with David Gilmour about how the 5-minute solo in Comfortably Numb should be played.

You're...

...well, you're being a little silly.

You don't have to trust the coaches. That's your prerogative. But you really should open your eyes and accept the fact that you know almost nothing about which player is better at what, and they know almost everything.

Love you, man. You're wrong.
A+

The only grief that Jumper has gotten has been from a troll with a dozen posts. No one of consequence has said anything negative - dudes trying to get a response - don't feed him.

You need to read more posts (including on this thread). There have been some pretty negative reactions to Jumper jumping Kirkland.

People just can't handle things that aren't simple, or that aren't obvious. If we hacked Rivals, Scout, and 247 (if they use ESPN, they're too dumb to log into VN, let alone post), and changed Jumper to a 4* prospect, leaving his highlights, practice reports, and measurables the same, people would be drooling over this fast young kid with a feel-good story who managed to beat out Kirkland.

But, no. He's a lowly rated walk-on. He must be garbage. Butch must be drunk. We're throwing the game! Sh*t is just too complicated for them this way.

Reactions: 2 people
You need to read more posts (including on this thread). There have been some pretty negative reactions to Jumper jumping Kirkland.

People just can't handle things that aren't simple, or that aren't obvious. If we hacked Rivals, Scout, and 247 (if they use ESPN, they're too dumb to log into VN, let alone post), and changed Jumper to a 4* prospect, leaving his highlights, practice reports, and measurables the same, people would be drooling over this fast young kid with a feel-good story who managed to beat out Kirkland.

But, no. He's a lowly rated walk-on. He must be garbage. Butch must be drunk. We're throwing the game! Sh*t is just too complicated for them this way.

Or they could just, you know, be basing their opinions on how things work in college football about 95% of the time? Face it, those who are perplexed by Jumper being named a starter have history on their side. The Jumper apologists have Nick Reveiz to make their case of how the 2* walk on will a great one.

I think we will see 2 or 3 at most positions including MLB - it's nice to have a little depth. if Jumper is in the conversation with our other lb.'s and defensive players he is to be commended because last I checked successful teams, especially the ones that go through the gauntlet that we do - will need a lot of players. Last I checked we were already down a couple of db's and a couple of linemen. Any complaints of Jumper is just static by trolls or the Legion of the Miserable who really don't have a clue. I view this much like our 1's and 2's at WR. Who really cares, they will all play and contribute. Nothing to see here - Jumper slotted to start, haters slotted to hate. Let's find another dead horse to beat.

Cancel the Program

Funny I was thinking the same. I saw 2 negative post and somehow that turned into everyone bad mouthing Jumper.

Funny I was thinking the same. I saw 2 negative post and somehow that turned into everyone bad mouthing Jumper.

Maybe two TODAY...when LWS first named him the MLB frontrunner, I counted eight different posters having major problems with it.

Colton graduated from Baylor while playing football and got into Annapolis. I am a McCallie guy but I know from experience how tough some of those boys are and I'm here to tell you that takes motivation and drive. This combined with his measurables, which aren't shabby, COULD lead to someone that at a minimum could help us with depth and quite possibly has significant upside.

If he doesn't make it playing ball I for one would give a kid like this a job. Let's just hope next time a sure fire pic hits him in the hands he grabs it and goes and gets us 6(spring game).

No one has been clamoring for Hunter Johnson and Trevor Lawrence more than I have. Check the recruiting threads and how often I've posted in there.

I know you white people get uncomfortable when someone black calls ya'll out on possible racial bias. But don't pass your own prejudices onto me. I support TALENT. Nothing else. I didn't join this site with the screen name Dobbs4Heisman last year at this time. I joined this site with that name after Dobbs turned around our program and began getting buzz outside knoxville as a potential star of the future.

I respect TALENT. period. and if Colton Jumper plays like a star, I'll be his biggest fan. Just don't expect me to run in the streets for joy today when I hear news that a walk-on is starting for a team I had hopes could challenge for a SEC championship.

FWIW I've often disagreed with you and I always assumed that, if you had some sort of bias, it had more to do with recruiting rankings than with race. Never got a racey vibe coming from any of your arguments.

I'm proud of Jumper, but I hope he's starting because he's a baller, and not because the guys behind him are busts.

It sounds like it's mostly a case of Kirkland Jr not quite being ready to take the bull by the horns. He'll be the guy before the season is over as long as he stays healthy. If he hadn't been set back in the spring, he would likely be right now.

FWIW I've often disagreed with you and I always assumed that, if you had some sort of bias, it had more to do with recruiting rankings than with race. Never got a racey vibe coming from any of your arguments.

every time he responds, his responses are tinged with race. that gets old after a while, and I'm black.

Reactions: 5 people
Appears to be a lot of racism IMO. But, I have a hard time telling these days.
One way to tell is generally speaking, saying someone is ginger is ok. Referring to someone as "a ginger" or "the ginger" is derogatory.

Anagram: Re-arrange the letters in ginger starting with n.

every time he responds, his responses are tinged with race. that gets old after a while, and I'm black.

I can't recall any of his posts I've seen that seem racially biased. I agree that his shtick gets old, but IMO it has more to do with him thinking that he knows more about football than the coaching staff and can tell which players are better for the team based off recruiting rankings and HUDL video.

I think Dobbs 4 Heisman is one of our most solid posters. I think he echoes legit concerns on personnel decisions the coaches have made.

We can say all we want about how much more the coaches know / we don't know the full story. I want the best guys on the field to put us in the best chance to win always. Dobbs was CLEARLY that guy and passed the eye test from his first Orange and White game. That decision CLEARLY cost us football games and I fully supported Worley and thought he did a great job in a system clearly not playing to his strengths.

I'm also the last defender of the Sullin twins, Nick Reveiz, et al. on Volnation. I love walk-on starters because 1. talent does matter (Usain Bolt eats 100 chicken nuggets a day at the Olympics), 2. I love an underdog story. I can relate to no-talent bums who keep trying.

Why start Worley and Peterman over Dobbs?
Why start Coleman Thomas over Kendricks?
Why start Jakob Johnson over Kenny Bynum?
Why start McNeil over Todd Kelly?
QUOTE]

• Dobbs and his family wanted a redshirt year. Butch tried to respect that.
  • This is a big question. It was hinted that Kendricks was in the coaches dog house for one reason or another last year. But if Pig can get so many chances, why not Kendrick?
  • It's not like Bynum would have made a difference in that game. They took a chance on the more athletic, younger guy against a spread opponent.
  • As for 2014, McNeil knew the system much better and the coaches were at least confident that he wouldn't make they type of mental mistakes that lead to TDs (like Kelly made against Oklahoma in 2014). Also, McNeil was a much better hitter and Kelly hasn't shown himself to be a very tough run defender just yet. As for 2015, we have no idea how the coaches had planned to rotate Kelly and McNeil. As you can tell from the depth chart released today, depth charts don't mean very much to this coaching staff.

I'm not trying to say that Butch hasn't made any personnel mistakes while he's been here. I agree that he has made a couple head scratching decisions (mostly on the OL). However, I think you're looking at this a little too black and white. There is more to it than which guys are most naturally talented. The most talented MLB in football doesn't do a team much good if he has a mental lapse and misses an assignment.

Some guys progress more slowly than others. Sometimes a young guy is ready to contribute right away. Sometimes a light comes on mid-season. Sometimes it takes a year or two of acclimating to being an SEC student-athlete.

Has it not occurred to you that maybe the coaches feel better about Jumper right now, but expect Kirkland to take a bit of a leap once he sees some action? Or that Dobbs wasn't quite ready to start last season against USU, but started to hit his stride around the middle of his second season in Orange? Or that the thing you're criticizing the staff for now, starting the more steady veteran over a highly touted newcomer who isn't quite ready, is the exact opposite of what they did with Jakob last season? Maybe they learned from that experience and decided to go with the steady option over potential. You can't really criticize them for both. At least not unless Jumper struggles mightily.

Or they could just, you know, be basing their opinions on how things work in college football about 95% of the time? Face it, those who are perplexed by Jumper being named a starter have history on their side. The Jumper apologists have Nick Reveiz to make their case of how the 2* walk on will a great one.

Well, based on the measuring stick of "how things work in college football about 95% of the time," Colton has already beaten the odds.

Because 95% of the time, a walk-on doesn't get coaches so enthused about him that they name him the starter.

Colton Jumper did.

Now all that's left is to decide whether you trust our coaches or not. Whether you believe they want to win football games. Whether you believe they have the ability to judge talent. Whether you believe they're pursuing some personal agenda rather than the team agenda.

So don't question Colton any more, he's made the leap through the 5% hoop. From here on, just question the coaches, if you must.

Me, I trust them. I'm excited that our program has found a diamond lying among the rocks. I look forward to seeing Jumper help us win a lotta ball games.

Go Vols!

Reactions: 5 people
Dobbs 4 Heisman said:
No one has been clamoring for Hunter Johnson and Trevor Lawrence more than I have. Check the recruiting threads and how often I've posted in there.

I know you white people get uncomfortable when someone black calls ya'll out on possible racial bias. But don't pass your own prejudices onto me. I support TALENT. Nothing else. I didn't join this site with the screen name Dobbs4Heisman last year at this time. I joined this site with that name after Dobbs turned around our program and began getting buzz outside knoxville as a potential star of the future.

I respect TALENT. period. and if Colton Jumper plays like a star, I'll be his biggest fan. Just don't expect me to run in the streets for joy today when I hear news that a walk-on is starting for a team I had hopes could challenge for a SEC championship.

I don't know who brought it up but I'm freaking tired of the race card BS being thrown out period and I love the "You white people" comment. Like whites are the ones that can be racist. I could give to craps about race I want the best players to play period whether they're freshman or upper classmen. If the coaches named Jumper as starter over some very talented players then maybe he just might have earned it. I see it as a positive for depth at the position.

None of us fans know the reasons why Jumper was named starter only the coaches know. I am sure if the young man doesn't perform like they want they will replace him with one of the "talented" multi-starred players behind him.

Move on people there are more important things in life to worry about than a walk-on is starting over another player at a certain position. These starters are going to change.

VN Store

Back