Official Depth Chart for BG

All that talent you're pining for to start?...WHO RECRUITED IT? :hmm: You already answered the question...but actually listen to it. A guy that actually procures this much talent has to have a better clue about how ready and developed that talent is as opposed to a MESSAGE BOARD POSTER. You keep throwing "clearly" and "obviously" around in such volume that must think that'll ensure it'll stick. Butch has to live by his decisions...you don't make em and don't issue judgements until after things happen...heckuva gig. :thumbsup: Just keep thinking you have any merit...you're a revisionist hindsight history undefeated wannabe football genius. :clapping:

When Chicken Little calls you out, you know you messed up.

As a black man, I want to apologize for Dobbs 4 Heisman. Apparently he was dropped on his head as a baby or he did not venture outside of his neighborhood enough to see that athletic ball players come in all colors. I bet his head would explode if Dat Nguyen was our middle linebacker.

Hell, I would take 5 Larry Birds and Kevin McHales over some of the players they have playing today in the NBA.

Luckily, I think most if not all of us understand that this is D4H's problem/issue and we don't hold you accountable for his actions. :hi:

Reactions: 1 person
Folks jumping on Jumper like Butch made some kind of mistake. Kirkland had a chance to win the spot. So far, he hasn't. Maybe he will, maybe he won't.

I'm more surprised with Jennings over Pearson.

It's Butch making Von work his way back the last little bit Butch can get it in before the big games start.

I hope Jumper is all SEC and serves crow at his celebration dinner.

You know some people are just classless hating on Jumper and need their VFL cards revoked. "I'm a VFL until a VOL walk-on who played one game last year wins the starting MLB spot."

Hate to break it to you but seeing a walk-on start at MLB doesn't have me jumping for joy. Butch Jones has had a questionable history when it comes to player personnel decisions. (1) He had Dobbs buried on the depth chart last year eventhough he was clearly the best QB on this team given the system Butch runs. (2) He started a 3 star true freshmen whose natural position was center at RT last year even after he was turned into a turn-coat. (3) He started a true freshmen at MLB against Missouri that is now playing TE for us.

Until Butch Jones wins a marquee game, I'm gonna be doubtful. Butch is a great recruiter and seems like a good motivator. However, his personell management is a question mark and so is his in-game coaching until we see actual results.

Just think about it this way. When's the last time a walk-on started for Alabama? Having walk-ons start for you is not the forumula for winning championships in the SEC.

I don't really like this post. And I would add "as a rule" to the last paragraph.

Otherwise I have to agree with it if I take off my heavily orange shaded glasses.

Everyone knows D4H's agenda. I don't understand why people even respond to him.

As soon as I saw the depth chart (MLB specifically) I knew this was coming.

Interesting turn this thread has taken. Since the theory is I have an agenda against white players. Could you pull up my quotes on Dillon Bates? I wanted him as starting MLB in the spring. I've also been very high on his NFL potential.

I know this might be a shock to you guys, but I respect TALENT. Sorry but unless this Colton Jumper kid proves his worth, he's a walk-on to me. And nothing this staff has done gives me faith they know what they're doing when it comes to personnel decisions.

Just watch how much better TKJ is at safety than McNeil. And if not for an injury, the staff woulda kept McNeil's slow butt on the field.

As a black man, I want to apologize for Dobbs 4 Heisman. Apparently he was dropped on his head as a baby or he did not venture outside of his neighborhood enough to see that athletic ball players come in all colors. I bet his head would explode if Dat Nguyen was our middle linebacker.

Hell, I would take 5 Larry Birds and Kevin McHales over some of the players they have playing today in the NBA.

Yep argument is so ignorant. Best linebacker on the planet right now is Luke Kuechly.

Wait to see how Jumper actually looks out there in a game before passing such harsh (racist) judgement folks.

I honestly think it was a very close race, and end the end, the coaches went with the older guy to start out. Kirkland Jr. will still play a ton.

Hate to break it to you but seeing a walk-on start at MLB doesn't have me jumping for joy. Butch Jones has had a questionable history when it comes to player personnel decisions. (1) He had Dobbs buried on the depth chart last year eventhough he was clearly the best QB on this team given the system Butch runs. (2) He started a 3 star true freshmen whose natural position was center at RT last year even after he was turned into a turn-coat. (3) He started a true freshmen at MLB against Missouri that is now playing TE for us.

Until Butch Jones wins a marquee game, I'm gonna be doubtful. Butch is a great recruiter and seems like a good motivator. However, his personell management is a question mark and so is his in-game coaching until we see actual results.

Just think about it this way. When's the last time a walk-on started for Alabama? Having walk-ons start for you is not the forumula for winning championships in the SEC.

I stopped reading after the word "Hate"

Yep argument is so ignorant. Best linebacker on the planet right now is Luke Kuechly.

Wait to see how Jumper actually looks out there in a game before passing such harsh (racist) judgement folks.
I honestly think it was a very close race, and end the end, the coaches went with the older guy to start out. Kirkland Jr. will still play a ton.

No one has been clamoring for Hunter Johnson and Trevor Lawrence more than I have. Check the recruiting threads and how often I've posted in there.

I know you white people get uncomfortable when someone black calls ya'll out on possible racial bias. But don't pass your own prejudices onto me. I support TALENT. Nothing else. I didn't join this site with the screen name Dobbs4Heisman last year at this time. I joined this site with that name after Dobbs turned around our program and began getting buzz outside knoxville as a potential star of the future.

I respect TALENT. period. and if Colton Jumper plays like a star, I'll be his biggest fan. Just don't expect me to run in the streets for joy today when I hear news that a walk-on is starting for a team I had hopes could challenge for a SEC championship.

Interesting turn this thread has taken. Since the theory is I have an agenda against white players. Could you pull up my quotes on Dillon Bates? I wanted him as starting MLB in the spring. I've also been very high on his NFL potential.

I know this might be a shock to you guys, but I respect TALENT. Sorry but unless this Colton Jumper kid proves his worth, he's a walk-on to me. And nothing this staff has done gives me faith they know what they're doing when it comes to personnel decisions.

Just watch how much better TKJ is at safety than McNeil. And if not for an injury, the staff woulda kept McNeil's slow butt on the field.

See, this is usually where people see if he's good before they insult him. Going about this a little bass ackwards aren't you?

Reactions: 3 people
Plus no one has been clamoring for Hunter Johnson and Trevor Lawrence more than I have. Check the recruiting threads and how often I've posted in there.

I know you white people get uncomfortable when someone black calls ya'll out on possible racial bias. But don't pass your own prejudices onto me. I support TALENT. Nothing else. I didn't join this site with the screen name Dobbs4Heisman last year at this time. I joined this site with that name after Dobbs turned around our program and began getting buzz outside knoxville as a potential star of the future.

I respect TALENT. period. and if Colton Jumper plays like a star, I'll be his biggest fan. Just don't expect me to run in the streets for joy today when I hear news that a walk-on is starting for a team I had hopes could challenge for a SEC championship.

I get your concerns...I really do. But your reaction to Jumper getting the starting nod is disappointing. There has been a lot of stuff on this board, from quoting coaches, discussing highlights, talking about measurables, and so on, that combine to suggest that Jumper is actually very far from the norm when it comes to underclass walk-ons.

Moreover, it isn't like the staff has been talking down Kirkland, or that Kirkland hasn't looked good as well. Darrin has been getting some pretty solid reviews, has apparently put in the work, and has looked pretty good. For him to get beaten out says some pretty good stuff about Jumper. If the staff had been dismissive of Kirkland, or if we had reason to believe that he was a bust, then we should start to get concerned. But neither of those have been the case.

You should be cautiously optimistic about Jumper. He beat out a very good freshman LB. And, as almost everybody has said, this isn't a "run away with the starting job" nod. This is likely to be a situation where Kirkland and Jumper basically split time. Kirkland will get his plays in, and if he shines, or if Jumper falters, the playing time will adjust accordingly.

Edit: this isn't just about you either, Dobbs. This is a problem that is pretty rampant on this board. We have a lot of people who make snap judgments, or who whine and moan about coaching decisions, without having done a moments research, or without having evaluated the evidence with anything approximating a level head.

People see a walk-on starting and freak out. People see a 2/3 star offered and freak out. Some of our fans have all the subtlety and nuance of a stick of dynamite. And there's something a bit funny about a drive-by evaluation of a walk-on player.

Last edited:

You do know that Dillon Bates is best suited for OLB though right? Why do you want him to play in the middle? Not only are you embarrassing, but your football IQ is pretty low.

It won't surprise me if Kirkland ends up being the starter before the season is over and I agree with you, it was probably a close race that was given to the older guy that has practiced in the system longer.

I believe most everyone's hopes are that Jumper turns out to be a stud so that we have two great MLB's to rotate in and out when necessary.

I get your concerns...I really do. But your reaction to Jumper getting the starting nod is disappointing. There has been a lot of stuff on this board, from quoting coaches, discussing highlights, talking about measurables, and so on, that combine to suggest that Jumper is actually very far from the norm when it comes to underclass walk-ons.

Moreover, it isn't like the staff has been talking down Kirkland, or that Kirkland hasn't looked good as well. Darrin has been getting some pretty solid reviews, has apparently put in the work, and has looked pretty good. For him to get beaten out says some pretty good stuff about Jumper. If the staff had been dismissive of Kirkland, or if we had reason to believe that he was a bust, then we should start to get concerned. But neither of those have been the case.

You should be cautiously optimistic about Jumper. He beat out a very good freshman LB. And, as almsot everybody has said, this isn't a "run away with the starting job" nod. This is likely to be a situation where Kirkland and Jumper basically split time. Kirkland will get his plays in, and if he shines, or if Jumper falters, the playing time will adjust accordingly.

Edit: this isn't just about you either, Dobbs. This is a problem that is pretty rampant on this board. We have a lot of people who make snap judgments, or who whine and moan about coaching decisions, without having done a moments research, or without having evaluated the evidence with anything approximating a level head.

People see a walk-on starting and freak out. People see a 2/3 star offered and freak out. Some of our fans have all the subtlety and nuance of a stick of dynamite. And there's something a bit funny about a drive-by evaluation of a walk-on player.

thats the problem. I DON'T TRUST THESE COACHES. They made one dumb personnel decision after another last year.

Why start Worley and Peterman over Dobbs?
Why start Coleman Thomas over Kendricks?
Why start Jakob Johnson over Kenny Bynum?
Why start McNeil over Todd Kelly?

I've seen too many backups outplay the guys who originally were pegged as starters.

Until this staff wins a meaningful game, I will be suspicious of any decision they make.

You do know that Dillon Bates is best suited for OLB though right? Why do you want him to play in the middle? Not only are you embarrassing, but your football IQ is pretty low.

FYI, it wasn't just me. The coaches had him practicing at MLB all spring and fall camp.

I viewed him as the 2nd most talent linebacker on our roster. His physical attributes are NFL caliber. He's a legit 4.5 40 guy with a 40" vertical. He blew up the athletic testing at the opening two years ago.

thats the problem. I DON'T TRUST THESE COACHES. They made one dumb personnel decision after another last year.

Why start Worley and Peterman over Dobbs? Seniority. To redshirt Dobbs. To have a "tougher" QB behind a questionable offensive line. Because Dobbs was inconsistent in the preseason. And the list goes on.
Why start Coleman Thomas over Kendricks? I got nothing here. Thomas wasn't ready when he was thrown into action.
Why start Jakob Johnson over Kenny Bynum? Pure athleticism.
Why start McNeil over Todd Kelly? Experience. Kelly is athletic and will be great, but he was out of position a lot early on last year. He cost himself some playing time after the OK game last year.

I've seen too many backups outplay the guys who originally were pegged as starters.

Until this staff wins a meaningful game, I will be suspicious of any decision they make.

Reactions: 2 people

Funny.
I was just thinking how I don't trust anyone that shows up right after our extremely dominating bowl performance and starts telling us that the coaches are untrustworthy.

Reactions: 5 people

Dobbs and Bynum = why in the heck do people insist that coaches are supposed to MAGICALLY know these things? If they didn't practice as well as the other guys why the heck should they get a shot? How the heck.could you predict that? I've never been a coach and I know those questions are ridiculous.
Kelly: Do you kbow for a fact that Kelly shpuld be starting other than he's a little faster? Do you have any consideration that a guy who has started 31 games and won back his job last year in a great secondary might be smarter, better? Or that they are almost equal but someone has to start?
Kendrick* pretty sure there's no S... If you dont know how to spell his name how can you suggest to know where he should be playibg on the OL.
Jk, that was a cheap shot, but I had nothing to say on that one :)

I don't know what their reasoning was for many of those decisions. But, none of us have access to everything that goes on in practice, in meetings, or during film sessions. But one thing is obvious: if a bunch of message board nobodies think that the coaches are making an obvious mistake, we are almost definitely missing something. The coaches *can* be wrong, and we *can* catch them on it. But it will never be so egregious that a bunch of people who watch 3 minute highlight reels and have never coached anything above pee-wee football can easily tell.

Worley over Dobbs made sense at the time. Dobbs was (as everybody knows) not a great practice QB. He was also a true sophomore trying to take what I'm sure was a ridiculous courseload, and who had minimal game experience. Worley was a senior who had shown some flashes of solid play, and who could get the ball to our impressive group of WRs. They also wanted to redshirt Dobbs (some said a promise to the parents, some said respecting the wishes of the parents, and others said just to maintain 3 years of full elegibility as a starting QB, giving us the stability we have lacked). Peterman was, perhaps, a mistake. But, hindsight is 20-20, and we couldn't have known: a) how bad Nathan really would be in game or b) how good this young overworked QB who didn't dominate in practice would be. And, again, you hate to blow a vital redshirt if you can avoid doing so.

I have no idea what was going on with Coleman and Brett. Maybe Brett wasn't practicing hard, maybe he was doing something on campus to get in the doghouse. Maybe Brett looked even worse than Coleman in live action at practice. Maybe Brett didn't gel well with the rest of the O-line. Maybe Brett would have been similarly dominated. We just don't know. But the coaches *had* to have seen something that justified that decision.

Jakob over Bynum is a weird decision too. But, then again, we have little proof that Bynum can really game at MLB (he did just get beat out by a walk-on and a true freshman). He's a slow LB who would have possessed all ov the vices of AJ (to a a greater extent) without the virtues. And Jakob was a superb athlete. Maybe they should have seen that he wasn't game-ready. Maybe they didn't have any other choice. Who knows. But it wasn't like they started him over a potential pro-bowler. Bynum is a 3rd stringer at a weak position.

Finally...McNeil over Kelly is *not* a stupid decision. First, they would have split time. Second, McNeil is a very solid vet who helped out a ton in the run game, snagged 2 ints, and provided stability and experience in the secondary. He would have been a very good player for us this year, and would have complemented Kelly quite well.

But here's the real point. Nobody on VN denies that Butch and company are among the best talent evaluators in the country when it comes to HS recruiting. Now, what *possible* explanation could there be for them being among the best at evaluating HS talent with minimal experience, and by just watching their games and film, with them being among the worst in the country at identifying in-game talent after watching, coaching, and breaking down an entire offseason of practices? How does having more time, more intimate familiarity, and more control over their own players make them so much worse at evaluating who will be a good SEC starter?

Last edited:

It is apparent that Dobbs 4 has never been to a practice, evaluated football players, or know anything about the psychological make up of any of Tennessee's football players. Most of his posts are an embarrassment to anyone who understands football coaches, players, or making decisions based on performance. It may be time to stop answering his posts and let him continue to look misinformed.

The coaches make a living at evaluating talent. They will have some misses but they have had way more hits with the talent on the current roster. If Jumper is playing maybe he worked hard and did what he had to do to win the position. Maybe the coaches stumbled on a good player when he walked on. LWS said keep an eye on him. VFL34 and a lot of his coaches praised him so I am going to roll with what these folks have to say about him. Jumper just may server a big glass full of STHU juice to all these negative Nancy's.

VN Store

Back