Oregon State reached out to Butch Jones!

His buyout supposedly requires him to reasonably seek employment elsewhere. If he overtly turns a job down, I think he loses money from the buyout. Legit legal minds please intervene here.

I, too, would like to know the details on this. Anyone know specifics?

Take it butch!!!
Save us some money, and when you are coaching for someone else it will be entertaining.
Comedic value

Good god. Why would he do that

Like so many in our society, he obviously knows how the game is played. Why work for it when you can have it given to you. You really think Butch is a competitor? Hell, he won the lottery. IMO, he won't work again until the payments from UT run out at the earliest. Won't be surprised if he never coaches again.

Reactions: 4 people
Dated Nov. 19. "there’s the complicated matter of Jones’ buyout at Tennessee" Wasn't Butch fired on the 12th?

That job offer was actually to the Trash Can to be head coach with the caveat that Shy Tuttle's helmet be the defensive coordinator.

Reactions: 3 people
I think he's required to reasonably pursue comparable employment but I don't think that means "He rejected the first offer that came along, so now we owe him nothing!"

Reactions: 1 person
Doesn't the contract REQUIRE him to pursue comparable work?

It does, but it does not require him to take any job. It has to be one that appeals to him and his family. Perhaps he doesn't want to move west? Maybe the high tax rates don't appeal to him? Maybe he simply doesn't want to coach and prefers to simply relax and let UT pay him?

It does, but it does not require him to take any job. It has to be one that appeals to him and his family. Perhaps he doesn't want to move west? Maybe the high tax rates don't appeal to him? Maybe he simply doesn't want to coach and prefers to simply relax and let UT pay him?

Honestly on reading the contract paragraph it seems totally unenforceable. How do you prove he hasn’t seeked gainful employment to offset his payout. To your point what we consider gainful may not meet his expectations

He is smart. He wants to retire on our buyout.

He can't just retire. It's part of the agreement that he will seek out employment as a head coach. I don't remember the exact wording, but it's clear he doesn't get paid if he doesn't try to find work

VN Store

Back