Oregon State reached out to Butch Jones!

Correct. Contracts have changed. the buyout crap is ridiculous. the NCAA is a governing body but they govern nothing in these regards, which is ridiculous if you ask me. Also, unlikely UT would have enforced it if it was.

Correct....this is what the “open up the vault and throw the bank at the new coach” crowd doesn’t seem to understand these days.....it’s really more about contract length and buyout clauses nowadays.....we’ve lost out on a few coaches in other sports in the last few years because of the buyout clause.....I’d want guaranteed money long term too....it’s just smart...and those wanting to villianize Jimmy Sexton don’t get contractual negotiations...he’s one of the best....

Bumping this to add a note from today: I have a client who is a University of South Alabama booster. This guy has been involved as a booster since they started a team for the first time about 10 years or so ago. They've had only one coach since the beginning, and he's been pretty good. Beat MS State last year, in fact.

That coach resigned this week. This guy says he believes that Butch will be one of the calls they make.

Yes, even though I want Butch's buyout mitigated by another job, I still warned him about vetting b/c I still don't think all of the crap about Butch has come out yet.

Anyway, just passing along for the curious.

He improved the program off the field tremendously. I know some do not want to admit it, but he did. He proved to be a very good recruiter. Once again, I know that many do not want to admit it, but it is true. In the two 9-4 seasons the team was competitive in all but one game against Bama. Once again, some will ignore that.

This year was once again filled with injuries and the injuries came in a year that was already slated to be a year with inexperience at key positions. It happens to even the best - look at Fisher at FSU - he lost the starting QB and their season tanked. Not saying this as an excuse - because a lot of the fired coaches have had a similar year.

I know that many of you feel the need for Jones to be ignored so that you can continue to slam the man and avoid the good things he did for the university. Some of you feel that validates your position.

The man will get offers. He does not have to accept the offers. He merely has to look.

If I was him I would take the time to wind down. I suspect he is looking for a place that does not require a massive rebuild or has craziness in the fan base. The last 5 years of trying to appease a fan base that no coach will ever appease has had to take its toll on him and his family.

I think you forgot the blue font. Or did this come from the Onion?

He is greatly needed at any school where locker room discipline is a problem to help stop all of the players tripping amd falling on helmets all the time.

It does, but it does not require him to take any job. It has to be one that appeals to him and his family. Perhaps he doesn't want to move west? Maybe the high tax rates don't appeal to him? Maybe he simply doesn't want to coach and prefers to simply relax and let UT pay him?

He could take a job on tv get paid what $60,000 UT is still going to have to pay him a lot of money from his contract...Butch is a lot smarter than people are giving him credit for

Bumping this to add a note from today: I have a client who is a University of South Alabama booster. This guy has been involved as a booster since they started a team for the first time about 10 years or so ago. They've had only one coach since the beginning, and he's been pretty good. Beat MS State last year, in fact.

That coach resigned this week. This guy says he believes that Butch will be one of the calls they make.

Yes, even though I want Butch's buyout mitigated by another job, I still warned him about vetting b/c I still don't think all of the crap about Butch has come out yet.

Anyway, just passing along for the curious.

I doubt Butch's ego would allow him to take a step backwards and go to South Alabama.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back