Oregon State reached out to Butch Jones!

Butch’s complex system might work better at a school like Oregon State where players don’t expect to go pro and can dedicate 2-3 years to understanding his confusing offense. I don’t know why he would turn them down...

Butch Jones will be the next coach at Kent St. It really is the only place fitting for a coach like him. Zero expectations, plus he'll still get paid out the wazoo from our buyout.

Reactions: 1 person
Butch’s complex system might work better at a school like Oregon State where players don’t expect to go pro and can dedicate 2-3 years to understanding his confusing offense. I don’t know why he would turn them down...

Because he's got his eyes set on Kent St... duh!

His buyout supposedly requires him to reasonably seek employment elsewhere. If he overtly turns a job down, I think he loses money from the buyout. Legit legal minds please intervene here.

This would be nearly impossible to prove I’d think.

This would be nearly impossible to prove I’d think.

Ask the Oregon State AD and they confirm? Turning down chances to interview for jobs are nowhere near impossible to verify. Never had unemployment but they require you show your attempts at employment.

He improved the program off the field tremendously. I know some do not want to admit it, but he did. He proved to be a very good recruiter. Once again, I know that many do not want to admit it, but it is true. In the two 9-4 seasons the team was competitive in all but one game against Bama. Once again, some will ignore that.

This year was once again filled with injuries and the injuries came in a year that was already slated to be a year with inexperience at key positions. It happens to even the best - look at Fisher at FSU - he lost the starting QB and their season tanked. Not saying this as an excuse - because a lot of the fired coaches have had a similar year.

I know that many of you feel the need for Jones to be ignored so that you can continue to slam the man and avoid the good things he did for the university. Some of you feel that validates your position.

The man will get offers. He does not have to accept the offers. He merely has to look.

If I was him I would take the time to wind down. I suspect he is looking for a place that does not require a massive rebuild or has craziness in the fan base. The last 5 years of trying to appease a fan base that no coach will ever appease has had to take its toll on him and his family.

Reactions: 5 people
Ask the Oregon State AD and they confirm? Turning down chances to interview for jobs are nowhere near impossible to verify. Never had unemployment but they require you show your attempts at employment.

You have to look. You don't have to accept. To say you have to accept is like saying a CEO of a company has to take an offer to be a cashier at Wal-Mart.

You have to look. You don't have to accept. To say you have to accept is like saying a CEO of a company has to take an offer to be a cashier at Wal-Mart.

You have to SEEK. Turning down opportunities to INTERVIEW doesn’t meet that definition. And turning down a shot at a job that nets over 7 figures doesn’t meet your cashier analogy. :)

I really doubt that but if they did, and he turned them down, than he is even more foolish than I thought. That is probably going to be his only chance to catch on with a team that is in a power 5 conference this year.

Cost too much to move all those bricks to the left cost.

Good god. Why would he do that

He's filthy rich! He's been to the top of college football - the SEC. He did not succeed as success is measured in the SEC. Why would he go to Oregon State and have to recruit 24/7 when he doesn't need the money?

Love of the game? Perhaps.

But the dude looked like his blood pressure was so high I think I saw blood dripping out of his ears half the time he was being interviewed.

VN Store

Back