Oregon State reached out to Butch Jones!

Butch is waiting for Gruden to take the HC job at UT so he can become Grudens O Coordinator and top recruiter.

Blue font intended.

VFL...GBO!!!

You have to look. You don't have to accept. To say you have to accept is like saying a CEO of a company has to take an offer to be a cashier at Wal-Mart.

Id like to get a better picture of what the settlement requires.
Pursuing means he has to seek work with the intention of employment.

funny they run Butchs offense. only game i watched i was like WTF no wonder their coach quit...

This is just Jimmy Sexton working on his Butch Reputation Recovery Project. Leak that somebody was interested, but of course Butch turned it down. Of course.

Id like to get a better picture of what the settlement requires.
Pursuing means he has to seek work with the intention of employment.

Agree but it doesn't imply one has to take any old job. He has the right to pursue like employment for similar pay that he was making before being fired.

He is no longer coach. Tennessee owes him his buyout. Some of you need to just get over that and let this go.

UT paid Fulmer. UT paid Dooley. They will now pay Jones. When they hire the new coach and fire him in 3 to 4 years, that will pay that guy too.

Reactions: 1 person
Honestly on reading the contract paragraph it seems totally unenforceable. How do you prove he hasn’t seeked gainful employment to offset his payout. To your point what we consider gainful may not meet his expectations

Jones basically has to listen to offers and occasionally interview for an opening. If he ever wants to coach again he'll probably need to look at some lesser options though.

Without knowing dollar amount, it seems like a terrible decision for Butch to decline. No way he gets another Power 5 offer this offseason. And he's unlikely to get an offer from any school as good as Oregon State either (i.e UCF or USF if Frost/Strong leave). Best he can hope for now is that MacIntyre leaves Colorado.

Last edited:
"Coach is required to to use his reasonable best efforts to mitigate the University's obligation to pay liquidated damages under this Section 3.1 by making reasonable and diligent efforts as soon as practicable following termination to obtain another comparable employment or paid services position. ... (including but not limited to) assistant or head football coach (college or pro); athlet dir."

Some fortunate organization, in-need-of-a-6-7-year-program-build, is going to pick up this coach, SOON !

"Coach is required to to use his reasonable best efforts to mitigate the University's obligation to pay liquidated damages under this Section 3.1 by making reasonable and diligent efforts as soon as practicable following termination to obtain another comparable employment or paid services position. ... (including but not limited to) assistant or head football coach (college or pro); athlet dir."

Some fortunate organization, in-need-of-a-6-7-year-program-build, is going to pick up this coach, SOON !

For the lawyers out there, is him turning down a job (if true) a reasonable and best effort?

For the lawyers out there, is him turning down a job (if true) a reasonable and best effort?

You all are poking at something that does not and should not concern you at all. Let it go. Or would you rather have a lawsuit situation with UT ending up having to pay his entire salary for those years?

And you can rest assured that the new HC will have the clause that says pay it regardless like other coaches have.

You all are poking at something that does not and should not concern you at all. Let it go. Or would you rather have a lawsuit situation with UT ending up having to pay his entire salary for those years?

How is message board posters asking questions going to enact a legal process? :lol: Easy boy!

Why did Fulmer not have to seek comparable employment? Was that language not written into his buyout?

It's really more of a curiosity thing for me, I don't expect (nor want) them to pursue it if it's more trouble than it's worth. On the other note, I thought he was paid his full salary remaining? I really don't know, that's why I'm asking.

Why did Fulmer not have to seek comparable employment? Was that language not written into his buyout?

Correct. Contracts have changed. the buyout crap is ridiculous. the NCAA is a governing body but they govern nothing in these regards, which is ridiculous if you ask me. Also, unlikely UT would have enforced it if it was.

VN Store

Back