Other SEC coaches fearing the rise of our proud program

And UF's had UT's number since 1954.

UF has managed to win a lot more than us but I wouldn't go that far. Many of those games were close and either team could've won. We've just been on the bad end of that but again since 1954 is kinda stretching the regularity of meetings as well. UF has a great deal to be proud of but it's not accurate to underrate how epic the majority of these battles were.

I hope both UF and UT can elevate the rivalry to what it was under Spurrier-Fulmer. It was just so much fun then.

UF has managed to win a lot more than us but I wouldn't go that far. Many of those games were close and either team could've won. We've just been on the bad end of that but again since 1954 is kinda stretching the regularity of meetings as well. UF has a great deal to be proud of but it's not accurate to underrate how epic the majority of these battles were.

I hope both UF and UT can elevate the rivalry to what it was under Spurrier-Fulmer. It was just so much fun then.

It was fun with the media hype, but UT was 4-8 vs UF while Spurrier was there and most of those weren't close.

1991 35-18
1993 41-34 (close but UT made a late rally)
1994 31-0
1995 62-37 (close for a half)
1996 35-29 (down 35-0)
1997 33-20
1999 23-21 (Truly a close game)
2000 27-23 (Another close game)

Out of those 8 losses to Spurrier 4 were within 1 score.

It was fun because UT and UF were generally the best 2 teams in the SEC and the winner of that game usually went to the SEC CG.

UT is 9-24 against UF since 1954. I understand we didn't play each other regularly until 1990, but we can only play each other when games are scheduled. And whether you beat us 45-3 or 34-32, whether we beat you 59-20 or 21-20...a win is a win.

I respect UT's history. UT has a great deal to be proud of also, but I wouldn't trade UT's history prior to 1990 for what I've been able to witness UF accomplish since then.

Over the last 7 years Alabama has played the 9th toughest schedule in the FBS. And we've had to do it without any assistance from you guys.

Bout time y'all tighten up.

You know when your program is beginning to take a turn downward???

It's when fans start quoting stats from the past 5 years or more that are so obscure that they are meaningless that nobody cares to check and has zero relevance to tomorrows games.

The immediate fact that I offer in the present is that Alabama is on a TWO game losing streak.

It's when fans start quoting stats from the past 5 years or more that are so obscure that they are meaningless that nobody cares to check and has zero relevance to tomorrows games.

The immediate fact that I offer in the present is that Alabama is on a TWO game losing streak.

This is stupid. Then what do you call fans who have to start quoting all time wins, being a "historically national power", and going back to the 90s to brag about how great we were?

Reactions: 2 people

Alabama ended the '08 season on a two game losing streak, including a loss in the Sugar Bowl.

Can you remember what happened in '09?

What is that winning streak against us? Some of you are just plain retarded.

Reactions: 1 person
As I watched numerous SEC coaches making their espn rounds, I couldn't help but notice some changes in their demeanor. Saban and Spurrier were markedly different from previous demeanor in the media. Forgive my orange glasses, but I truly believe they are adjusting as Butch's influence swells in the SEC. I'll provide a couple examples of what I'm referring to.

First, Saban has been far more positive in his interaction with media. My theory is that he has recognized Butch's positivity having an overwhelming impact on recruits and their families. In previous years, he seemed to have a my way or highway mentality. Now he's talking about treating the kids like family. Not to say that he never did before, but it has certainly increased this year. Butch's positivity is working and others are following suit.

Now for the old ball coach. This year Spurrier has routinely mentioned/plugged their recruiting rankings, namedropping players drafted, etc. We all know Butch uses these tactics in the media often to plant seeds with recruits. This is the first time I've ever seen Spurrier have anything but a dismissive attitude in interviews. In the past he was just itching to get to the nearest golf course and saw little value in the media appearance.

To sum up: Butch is having success by out working other coaches and they are taking notice and are adjusting to try and hold him off. To me that is the greatest verification that Butch's process IS working.

Granted much of this post is based in theory, but the adjustments other coaches are making is striking to me. You certainly don't have to agree, but I take it as a sign of great things to come for the Big Orange.

Go Vols! #believe

haha satan said dooley was a great coach to and would lead the vols to the promise land. the squirrel is just being the squirrel. think you are looking in to it a little to much. i really don't think satan is afraid of the vols no matter what he utters. the squirrel is scared because jones is catching him in talent. all that being said the vols will be underdogs in both games.

This is stupid. Then what do you call fans who have to start quoting all time wins, being a "historically national power", and going back to the 90s to brag about how great we were?

Those Fans,

I call them "Old fans", "Ole Farts" that enjoyed the hay days of Volunteer Football....

What good does past stats do moving forward...Not Much.

We were a historical national power house until the wheels started falling off 2003 SEC Championship. We are still an "Historical Powerhouse" and will be for years to come but what is that doing for us in the present day. Nothing, except for talk.

I can go back to the 60's but what difference does that make today.

Talk is cheap, when talking about the good ole days, however when speaking in presence tense it is cheaper. It was an Alabama Fan that was resorting to throwing out historical data to prove his point in the present. What good does that do in the present....Was he invalidating the OPs statement that Saban was following Tennessee lead by changing his style of addressing the media. Where does this fact come into the argument.

On paper vs reality argument. We beat Alabama several years in a row under Fulmer. He is gone, they had Shula. There was a period in the 70's to the 90's we were 4-18-1 versus Bama. Bama's streak was 11. Current streak is 7.

Last edited:
What is that winning streak against us? Some of you are just plain retarded.

Its 7....you miss my point....and it will probably grow.

I am not going to sugar coat it with historical data and say we were once great then and therefore we are great now.

Take a step back....Alabama has lost two games and start the year with some unknowns...is this the beginning of the end. Who cares the bottom line is we need to step up to the plate. We are getting there but it will take time.

Its 7....you miss my point....and it will probably grow.

I am not going to sugar coat it with historical data and say we were once great then and therefore we are great now.

Take a step back....Alabama has lost two games and start the year with some unknowns...is this the beginning of the end. Who cares the bottom line is we need to step up to the plate. We are getting there but it will take time.

Based on Alabama's last several recruiting classes, I think it's a stretch to suggest their run is over based on losing two straight games.

As I watched numerous SEC coaches making their espn rounds, I couldn't help but notice some changes in their demeanor. Saban and Spurrier were markedly different from previous demeanor in the media. Forgive my orange glasses, but I truly believe they are adjusting as Butch's influence swells in the SEC. I'll provide a couple examples of what I'm referring to.

First, Saban has been far more positive in his interaction with media. My theory is that he has recognized Butch's positivity having an overwhelming impact on recruits and their families. In previous years, he seemed to have a my way or highway mentality. Now he's talking about treating the kids like family. Not to say that he never did before, but it has certainly increased this year. Butch's positivity is working and others are following suit.

Now for the old ball coach. This year Spurrier has routinely mentioned/plugged their recruiting rankings, namedropping players drafted, etc. We all know Butch uses these tactics in the media often to plant seeds with recruits. This is the first time I've ever seen Spurrier have anything but a dismissive attitude in interviews. In the past he was just itching to get to the nearest golf course and saw little value in the media appearance.

To sum up: Butch is having success by out working other coaches and they are taking notice and are adjusting to try and hold him off. To me that is the greatest verification that Butch's process IS working.

Granted much of this post is based in theory, but the adjustments other coaches are making is striking to me. You certainly don't have to agree, but I take it as a sign of great things to come for the Big Orange.

Go Vols! #believe

I would imagine that there are a few other programs that they're worried more about, if at all, at this point. AU's offense might be remotely on their radar. Spurrier has to contend with UF, UGA, etc. but these guys are uber proven and not really "worried" about any program, especially at media days. We all like to think that our team makes other coaches lose sleep, but I don't think that's the case here.

Reactions: 2 people

Would you trade records with Bama?

VN Store

Back