Please tell me Jones didn't say this...

Last year, same stats

Total Passing ----- 65th NCAA
Total Rushing ----- 83rd NCAA
Total Offense ----- 83rd NCAA

Total defense ----- 32nd NCAA
Run Defense ----- 63rd NCAA
Pass Defense ----- 27th NCAA

So, our defense has struggled, but it's missing Curt Maggitt and a middle linebacker presence. Losing AJ hurt pretty badly, but it was going to be okay because Curt was still here. Now Curt's hurt, and the defense has been pretty bad since then. But overall offense is way up from last year. It's very clear that defense is the issue, but the defense is pretty hampered with injuries. I think using statistics to say that the team hasn't made progress is not a good idea, because it kinda backfires when you take into consideration how much better the offense is with pretty much the same players.

Passing game is abysmal, plain and simple. Rushing is better which I attribute to the individual running talent of Hurd, Dobbs and AK. You probably disagree with my opinion but that's ok... I think Hurd is a beast and if line was better he might be leading the league in rushing.

The defense is bad - really bad - and as another poster said, every team has injuries. The defense in my opinion does not look like well coached unit - they do not align properly, they miss assignments, miss tackles, take bad angles and are put in bad rush packages by the coordinator. So I do not think they really have improved much if at all.

Boro, you must be reading my mail. Dude, everything you have said about CBJ in this thread has been exactly my thinking. I'm gonna leave you with what I think is CBJ's #1 and #2 priorities going forward. I want to see if you agree. #1, and above all, He must fix our passing attack. It has been average at best and trash at it's worst during his tenure. We do not take advantage of one on one matchups in the pass game. On top of that, in the Arkansas game, what happened to the play action pass game that has been Josh Dobbs best friend? #2, losing Maggitt was a major blow to our defense. I think our problems on defense have more to do with injuries than coaching. Losing Gaulden probably hurts too. So, priority #2 is recruiting and developing more pass rushers!!! Barnett needs help!!! Would you agree?

I certainly agree on the passing game issue....but I believe it's a combination of factors. The play calling is horrendous....they don't stretch the field, and they don't use the middle of the field. I'm afraid the calling is the way it is because of a perceived shortcoming in Dobbs passing ability. That's just my opinion.

The defensive issues are personnel limitations due to injuries, and tackling deficiencies. Also, just my opinion.

All of it goes back to coaching, either from an instruction standpoint, personel decisions, or play calling.

Because Butch is a loser.

Nothing matters but wins... and if he is to dumb to realize that, then it just reiterates how stupid our AD is for hiring him.

Butch Jones is not a loser.

He's recruited some awesome players in his short time here. He changed the culture of our program that Dooley took to new lows. He didnt have tons of punks getting arrested nor taught players how to quit. He was a great face for a sick (and possibly dying?) program. He just so happens to lose a lot of games.

So therefore, when you consider EVERYTHING, he is definitely a loser.

I certainly agree on the passing game issue....but I believe it's a combination of factors. The play calling is horrendous....they don't stretch the field, and they don't use the middle of the field. I'm afraid the calling is the way it is because of a perceived shortcoming in Dobbs passing ability. That's just my opinion.

The defensive issues are personnel limitations due to injuries, and tackling deficiencies. Also, just my opinion.

All of it goes back to coaching, either from an instruction standpoint, personel decisions, or play calling.

I agree. I got really aggravated in the Florida game, when Sutton went for a tackle on the sideline in the 3rd qtr, instead of wrapping him up and driving through the tackle, he gave a little shoulder bump that turned into 4 more yards on the sideline. If I was Butch, his ass would have been sitting on the bench for awhile! For such a big game, you would think that some of the players would have given 110%.

Last edited:
Living in middle Tennessee that's the Vandy way. Heard that crap for 50 years. I dont blame many of the younger fans as they are brain washed into this line of thinking. They have no idea what it feels like to have a 9-3 or 10-2 season.

you cant blow three 14+ point leads. get beat by a florida team that has 53 freshman playing and get steamrolled by a pitiful Arkansas team.

improvement is there but you CANNOT blow those games. if they were down and fought back that's one thing but they had COMPLETE control of all three of those games.

don't care about stats, bricks or any of the s***

YOU CANT DO IT!

Reactions: 3 people

It definitely all goes back to coaching, it always does.

I seem to remember Bill Belichick on more than one occasion tell the media after a loss, that he has to coach better. He takes full responsibility and says its his fault and that he has to coach better. He rarely blames players if I recall correctly.

This man is arguably the greatest coach to ever coach the game of football. I have always been impressed with how he takes responsibility and says that HE has to do a better job. IMO, his secret to being so great, he learned somewhere along the way to humble himself and change/improve things ( scheme, players, coaches, teaching of fundamentals ), that aren't working, and work his rear end off to best exploit the opposing team in all 3 phases.

Reactions: 1 person
If you don't realize this program is light years ahead of when Dooley was in control, you are just being irrational.

Yes light years . Dools less talent is equal to Butch's loads of talent as far as wins and loss's .

Take out the fact I want Butch to succeed . I think the 2010 team was a better coached team ,not a more talented team just better at getting the most out of what they had . That was done by the OC and DC in spite of the HC Dooley with what 7 freshman starting on o at the end of the year . I hate this sh!& when its this low .

I begging to be able to start a I AM EATING CROW PAGE .

It definitely all goes back to coaching, it always does.

I seem to remember Bill Belichick on more than one occasion tell the media after a loss, that he has to coach better. He takes full responsibility and says its his fault and that he has to coach better. He rarely blames players if I recall correctly.

This man is arguably the greatest coach to ever coach the game of football. I have always been impressed with how he takes responsibility and says that HE has to do a better job. IMO, his secret to being so great, he learned somewhere along the way to humble himself and change/improve things ( scheme, players, coaches, teaching of fundamentals ), that aren't working, and work his rear end off to best exploit the opposing team in all 3 phases.

Couldn't agree more...and I can't stand Belichick!

"Sometimes you see results that maybe outside people don't see because you're gauged on wins"

If so, I'm about ready to lose my mind. Why win when you can just prattle on about some nonsense regarding "progress",then tell everyone they can't see it, but I can?
Whenever coaches aren't getting wins, they naturally try to cover their backside....so most of what came out of Fulmer's mouth (his last few years), Dooley's mouth and now Butch's...is CYA talk, and maybe an injury update. That's about it. It's why I've pretty much stop listening to his press conferences.

Pretty sad that many of these folks only have Coach Dooley as a measuring stick. Take a history lesson and go back to Bill Battle and see bad.

Yes light years . Dools less talent is equal to Butch's loads of talent as far as wins and loss's .

Take out the fact I want Butch to succeed . I think the 2010 team was a better coached team ,not a more talented team just better at getting the most out of what they had . That was done by the OC and DC in spite of the HC Dooley with what 7 freshman starting on o at the end of the year . I hate this sh!& when its this low .

I begging to be able to start a I AM EATING CROW PAGE .

Your absolutely correct about the utilization of talent from 2010 to now. Great point!

Never thought I'd give Dooley the edge on anything....but he was smart enough to get out of the way and let Cheney do his job.

Please don't make excuses for injured players as EVERY team has MAJOR injures during the course of the year, I mean our O-Line guys have been in the system 3 years now and I don't think they are any further ahead than they were 3 years ago.............but look at florida o-line as they are a bunch of freshmen and walk-ons and they are doing GREAT right now............

Every major team doesn't have Lane Kiffin come in and run everyone off before hiring Derek Dooley to slack off in recruiting and bring the program to its worst depth in program history.

And not all of our oline guys have been in the system 3 years. You're reaching.

Curt was our best player and leader. Please point to another team that loses its best player and leader that performs to championship standards?

Wouldn't it be great if winning were as easy as pushing that imagined switch marked "success." Jones has himself in a race to succeed before the hounds catch up and he knows it. Lately, the hounds have been gaining ground.

Yet McElwain in year one while installing a new system (folks here assured us that was a good excuse for Jones) and playing with the signees of an incompetent coach (another sure fire reason not to win) and revamping a rotten culture and playing young, inexperienced players and.... on and on.... is 5-0, has beaten a top 10 team, and has his team ranked just outside the top ten.

Once considered a throw away year, UF could very well win the SEC East.

I guess he found that switch.

For that matter, Bielema who took over a mess at the same time Jones did and radically changed the Arkansas O just found that switch in Neyland of all places.

There are no hounds after Jones. No Vol fan that I've seen wants him to fail... but unlike you.... they aren't blind to the fact that he IS failing right now and doesn't seem to be changing course.

Reactions: 5 people
No, no.......my "schtick" is to call BS when I see it. I enjoy the %$#^ out of it, for sure.:)

For instance, you have a button that is easily pushed. That one is labelled "Arrogance." :)

I'm out......back to work........keep those cheap shots coming.:good!:

:lolabove:

This coming from someone absolutely blinded by their own arrogance... and who can't have a discussion without taking personal cheap shots.

You are a classic...

Reactions: 3 people
:lolabove:

This coming from someone absolutely blinded by their own arrogance... and who can't have a discussion without taking personal cheap shots.

You are a classic...

I see you two have met. :lolabove:

Every major team doesn't have Lane Kiffin come in and run everyone off before hiring Derek Dooley to slack off in recruiting and bring the program to its worst depth in program history.

Curt was our best player and leader. Please point to another team that loses its best player and leader that performs to championship standards?

With the exception of Tajh Boyd, name one quality player Kiffin ran off.

If you don't realize this program is light years ahead of when Dooley was in control, you are just being irrational.

I think someone mentioned this mentality already. Something about getting beat by 7 is better than getting beat by 17. And then calling that progress. To bad in this game you are scored on if you win or lose. Maybe we can talk the NCAA into considering point spread difference from past years.

Nobody expects a championship this year...especially with the injuries we've incurred. We really are just looking to finish games we are competative in and not choke away two touchdown leads due to errors a high school coach can avoid.

Reactions: 2 people
Last year, same stats

Total Passing ----- 65th NCAA
Total Rushing ----- 83rd NCAA
Total Offense ----- 83rd NCAA

Total defense ----- 32nd NCAA
Run Defense ----- 63rd NCAA
Pass Defense ----- 27th NCAA

So, our defense has struggled, but it's missing Curt Maggitt and a middle linebacker presence. Losing AJ hurt pretty badly, but it was going to be okay because Curt was still here. Now Curt's hurt, and the defense has been pretty bad since then. But overall offense is way up from last year. It's very clear that defense is the issue, but the defense is pretty hampered with injuries. I think using statistics to say that the team hasn't made progress is not a good idea, because it kinda backfires when you take into consideration how much better the offense is with pretty much the same players.

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but are these end of year stats? If so, they will be skewed if you are comparing against this year through 5 games. As of now, 40% of our schedule has been comprised of teams that are not Power 5 teams. Obviously as this season progresses, our total level of competitions will rise.

Your absolutely correct about the utilization of talent from 2010 to now. Great point!

Never thought I'd give Dooley the edge on anything....but he was smart enough to get out of the way and let Cheney do his job.

That is the point . Has anyone thought how easy it could be for to us a lot of triple option in this O . Would that not open up some of the middle of the field . Fake Hurd on the dive (we already do this) swing wide with AK with JJ coming back at you from the slot on a skinny post . 4 options on 1 call . Very easy to read and we already run all of this plays ,just not as a triple option . If you cant throw it use what you have . We know the line cant block so Dobbs gets a roll out with AK to the side we have trips on . This is X's and O's 3 rec's 1 post 1 fly and 1skinny post . If they stop the run the pass is open .
Dear lord this one set that has more possibilities than all the set dabord has used all year . I'm just saying there are so many more ways to use the talent we have by tweaking the system that's in place . THE SYSTEM . I hate that term now.

We are also light years away from having the passing game Dooley had. All coaches have peaks and valleys, but Butch is really ticking me off with these moral victory quotes.

VN Store

Back