Please tell me Jones didn't say this...

Dumbass fan base. Any intellectual football mind can see progress in this team since the day he has taken over

I was gonna just hit like but wanted to make sure this post got seen a bunch more times.

Some fans think he is talking to them, but nope he is not, he is speaking to the players and coaches.
Go Vols! Beat Georgia !

No, no.......my "schtick" is to call BS when I see it. I enjoy the %$#^ out of it, for sure.:)

For instance, you have a button that is easily pushed. That one is labelled "Arrogance." :)

I'm out......back to work........keep those cheap shots coming.:good!:

images

Reactions: 3 people
"Sometimes you see results that maybe outside people don't see because you're gauged on wins"

If so, I'm about ready to lose my mind. Why win when you can just prattle on about some nonsense regarding "progress",then tell everyone they can't see it, but I can?

Do you linger on every quote Butch makes looking for some reason to get your pink panties in a wad because it sounds like it.

Reactions: 1 person
:lolabove: It's getting more and more obvious which segment of the fanbase Butch is attempting to appeal to with this type of logic.

The majority? Because the majority want to see progress year over year and don't expect immediate success.

Butch is causing a lot of his own suffering by continuing with his ill-timed, and ill-advised chronic diarrhea of the mouth. I'm beginning to sense he is a very proud, stubborn individual who doesn't like to be questioned. And he's short...may have something to do with it. Also he has little tiny baby feet., which has no real bearing on anything, I just thinks it's a funny fact.

The first part is very true. The second is hysterical. I listened to the presser and in all fairness he knows he has to notch W's. He was talking about the progress and development of some players particularly in practice - hence "results ...outside people don't see". If you get partial quotes out of context and put them before people who are angry and looking for stuff to throw this is the kind of responses you get: a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing.

By the way, if you listen to the presser backwards you can hear him saying: "I want to destroy UT and my career and I framed Pig. Bwahahaha"

I'll agree, you can see progress in losses sometimes, but when you have three meltdowns already that's something to be concerned about. Going 2 of 3 in the losses would have NOBODY questioning Jones.
There are very few who are not questioning him to some degree. The issue that I have is that everything he says gets bashed beyond belief. I am not sure if we are really this clueless as a fanbase, or if the idiots on the extreme of either side are just that much more vocal.

The first part is very true. The second is hysterical. I listened to the presser and in all fairness he knows he has to notch W's. He was talking about the progress and development of some players particularly in practice - hence "results ...outside people don't see". If you get partial quotes out of context and put them before people who are angry and looking for stuff to throw this is the kind of responses you get: a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing.

By the way, if you listen to the presser backwards you can hear him saying: "I want to destroy UT and my career and I framed Pig. Bwahahaha"

For the record...I think Butch only wants the best for UT, he loves it like we do. But his shortcomings as a coach are being exposed week by week, as is his stubborn, unwavering nature. That does not bode well for long term improvement.

Reactions: 2 people
I believe a lot of people are mistaking "improvement" for "Achievement". It is a lot more black and white then everyone is making it out to be.

Has Butch improved the team and talent from when he became coach? Absolutely

has Butch ACHIEVED the goals and standards that we have at UT? Not close.

Again does that mean he won't or can't achieve those goal? No.

Now most will still argue about improvement and that is fine, that is what this board is for but the simple truth is he has improved this team and everything about it. Now it is time to start achieving the goals for UT and that is winning and championships, nothing less.

You are right. That's what many like Boro and I have issue with. We agree with things have improved. The irony is the people stuck on just the idea of improvement are also pointing out how bad we were before. And we were really bad before he got here, so did you not expect progress? Not trying to undercut Jones progress, he's done a great job in many areas including getting us here.

We are here now, so what's the future hold? Many said it before the season, and thru this season so far, that we hope to see improvement in the coaching and development. We weren't happy with the coaching not to lose mentality and although those qualities are hard for coaches to overcome, we hope they do. I've all along said the best possible outcome is for coach to correct this one area for the sake of the team. Well what happens? Instead of it happening once a season like before it's happened 3 times thus far in 5 games.

I look at track history. And the track history here speaks volumes. And I agree with many who thinks he lost the team. They looked great against OK and have actually gone down hill in general performance since then. Sure you can blame the players for that if you so feel like it, but like my dad always stressed to me, I try to look at it from their point of view. They've put their heart and soul into performing for this staff and what has it gotten them? The WR haven't gotten looks or passes, JH is getting abused on the field(and I pray he doesn't get hurt, even if just for his future in the NFL). I could go on and on with examples.

If he really wanted all of us to be back on board and the team he just has to rethink his coaching on game day approach whether he wins or loses at this point. Just show your willing to make progress in yourself.

Maybe it's just me but I don't like his set in stone plan before the game, it should be just a guide line. He tries to take any thought out of game day before hand when he should play off the feel of where the games at.

It's like doctors I know who say the straight A book smart doctors don't do so well in the field because they tend to not be good at thinking outside the box on the fly and figure things out.(not meaning to offend any possible doctors out there, no opinion is 100% factual). But it does open your mind up to what I mean hopefully. Football games are unpredictable, you have to play with your gut feeling that comes with experience. He's stated on many occasions he goes off his "controlled environment plan" made before hand. That's wrong!

Again I can't say it enough, the best possibly outcome is for him to get it together. If his flaws were fixed the sky is the limit for this program. I'm just not going to foolishly believe it. And abusive husband doesn't just stop because his wife keeps hoping he will.

Last edited:
Dumbass fan base. Any intellectual football mind can see progress in this team since the day he has taken over

The main area of progress would be talent. But who has Butch really beaten of relevance? One team, South Carolina 2 years ago. Keep settling for a coach that tries to talk over your head, is full of excuses, and lacking the coaching ability to be successful in the SEC.

Do you linger on every quote Butch makes looking for some reason to get your pink panties in a wad because it sounds like it.

No, because that would require me to labor upon layers and layers of useless and mindless cliches, gimmicks and gibberish. This isn't ending well and, if you want to spend the time defending this guy before he heads out to coach Purdue in the near future, be my guest. This quote, though, does indicate a problem whether you want to see it or not.

If you can say with a straight face that you think we played "awful" in two of our three losses, then I'll shake your hand. For the first three quarters against Oklahoma and Florida, we played better than any Tennessee team I've seen in the last 5 years at least.

I'm disappointed as well. I'm very disappointed. But the team has gotten tons better, that just haven't closed against great competition. It's unfortunate, and I want to win now like you all, but I can see flashes of a team that can compete for an SEC championship without much talent in the upperclasses. That's pretty promising.

Here are some statistical rankings:

Total Passing ----- 95th NCAA ----- 11th SEC

Total Rushing ----- 19th NCAA ----- 3rd SEC

Total Offense ----- 53rd NCAA -----7th SEC

Total Defense ----- 93rd NCAA ----- 7th SEC

Run Defense ----- 78th NCAA -----

Pass Defense ----- 88th NCAA -----

Rushing offense is much improved which I attribute to Hurd, Dobbs and AK individual talent rather than improvement in blocking. But the other categories do not reflect a great deal of improvement in comparison to previous year.

I think it's the way Butch talks that is killing him. Everyone sees the progress, and I think everyone wants him to succeed, but he has to stop making himself look and sound like an idiot.

He should just quit talking period and let his assistants speak to the media. Jancek, Mahoney, etc. have all done a great job being fairly straight forward, taking the blame, explaining the situation, yet remaining positive. If Butch would quit with the stubborn BS, it would take a lot of the pressure off.

Nah, it's the lack of wins.

He could replay the jive scene from Airplane in his press conferences and no one would care as long as he was winning games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXSLcYQHqFQ

Im sorry, but this clown is Derek Doolittle part 2. Always a catch phrase, excuses, defiant retorts, etc...Yeah, we have progressed and yes things are in much better shape than with the former loser, but its time to WIN for gods sakes!! I personally do not feel he is the right man for the job...in way over his head. If we go 6-6 or less, he needs to be canned.

For the record...I think Butch only wants the best for UT, he loves it like we do. But his shortcomings as a coach are being exposed week by week, as is his stubborn, unwavering nature. That does not bode well for long term improvement.

I don't disagree Boro, just hope that he can park his pride and adjust quickly. I do think he wants the best for UT. My last comment was to add a little humor. I am too old - most here no longer remember the backward masking nonsense from the 70's

I think Butch wants what's best for Butch. I don't mind this, actually, because, if he were a great coach it's good for UT, anyway. People buying this idea that the coach loves UT and will walk over hot coals for it isn't true. However, most coaches at this level have a healthy ego and know that UT's success is good for them and vice versa. On the other hand, a bad coach is going to be a big issue because they aren't here for UT, just like the good coach, but now are hurting the program and still looking out for themselves. I think that's where we are. People will be surprised, I think, at how "loyal" some of these guys are to UT once they stop getting paid by them.

Boro, long time buddy, hows life? I totally agree with you, his attitude stinks and he sure as hell cant coach worth a lick. Between my Lions and this team, Im freakin miserable! lol

I don't disagree Boro, just hope that he can park his pride and adjust quickly. I do think he wants the best for UT. My last comment was to add a little humor. I am too old - most here no longer remember the backward masking nonsense from the 70's

I do...I'm a child of vinyl.

Jones should just say............"hey guys, I messed up 2 or 3x already, but you know what, watch what happens for the rest of the year" and let is coaching ability speak for itself............

Boro, long time buddy, hows life? I totally agree with you, his attitude stinks and he sure as hell cant coach worth a lick. Between my Lions and this team, Im freakin miserable! lol

Good man...Lions huh? Talk about Legions of the Miserable.:)

We have lost 3 games by a total of 12 points. That is improvement. If he says he sees improvement, improvement is present. He is our coach, respect him. EJB.

VN Store

Back