Put a fork in him - Riley Ferguson is DONE. [attempted sarcasm]

Thats a pre recorded episode of talking football. Episode is like a week old. They are usually wrong about a lot of stuff. They think hes the starter because he was the starter at the end of last season. I watch that show from time to time, and they are homers and dont know much about programs that arent UF, Bama or Big10 schools

oh ok , gotcha. I just happen to turn it over there and caught that. I usually don't watch it.

Long time viewer of Volnation and first time posting. The QB situation is somewhat up in the air right now for us. I think Worley does all the little things right and possesses great leadership as a senior, but arm strength is a problem and seems never to be willing to take shots downfield. With that being said I think it's time to move on to our younger guys dobbs/ ferguson and let them gain experience and build toward the future. I feel like with Worley being at QB we still finish with he same record as dobbs/ ferguson back there. So no point in wasting a full season with Worley and find ourselves in the same situation next year with more question marks with a QB with no great experience.

Reactions: 3 people
NOT!

I wish we had the internet during the Peyton Manning / Brandon Stewart freshman year. I would love to know if Volnation would be as polarized about a QB then as it is now.

An Orange and White game NEVER makes or breaks a player. Period. Riley might have had the roughest day, but it also sounds like the coaching staff were trying to relay a message with some tough love. Kudos to them.

From my personal perspective - I believe in Seniors, and Worley grew into the QB last year before the injury. He showed a lot on Saturday. Having said that, you ALWAYS play the guy who gives you the best chance to win.

Whoever wins the starting QB in the Fall, I know I feel really confident in the two guys behind him. Things are starting to look up on the Hill.

GBO!

We had talk radio and it was worse.

Colquitt, Helton, Stewart and Manning.

Ferg had a rough spring game. He is green but there is a long way to go until fall. Dobbs looks to have the best chance of passing Worley currently but that can change. At present I still see Worley as the likely starter.

Reactions: 1 person
Could you guys please show the quotes that said RF was as good as Manning. I haven't seen them. Thanks in advance.

It was just conjecture. Last season there were people on VN that said RF was so much better than any QB we had. That he was going to be the starter if he got a chance. Reading some comments about RF last season people would have thought that he was the greatest QB we have had since PM. Point is some made it sound like RF was clearly the best QB we had before he even took a snap.

Reactions: 4 people
not!

i wish we had the internet during the peyton manning / brandon stewart freshman year. i would love to know if volnation would be as polarized about a qb then as it is now.

An orange and white game never makes or breaks a player. Period. Riley might have had the roughest day, but it also sounds like the coaching staff were trying to relay a message with some tough love. Kudos to them.

From my personal perspective - i believe in seniors, and worley grew into the qb last year before the injury. He showed a lot on saturday. Having said that, you always play the guy who gives you the best chance to win.

Whoever wins the starting qb in the fall, i know i feel really confident in the two guys behind him. Things are starting to look up on the hill.

Gbo!

lol.

Yeah, Fergie looked great 3 sacks, 1 fumble & 1 pick.

You cant 100% fault a QB for getting sacked.

Besides, Dobbs had similar games to that last year. Should we write him off too?

How about the Vandy game where he went
11/19 for 53 yards and threw 2 INTs. He was sacked a few times too. Had 11 rushes for 23 yards with a long of 14.

You cant judge QBs based off of 1 performance

Last edited:
Josh Dobbs is bigger, faster, smarter, more accurate, more experienced, and less turnover-prone than Riley Ferguson, but Ferguson is still the better quarterback because... ?

How could you possibly know this? Ferguson has never played in a game. Dobbs was a true Freshman but he did throw 6 interceptions before he threw his first touchdown last year.

I have absolutely no preference who the starting QB is. My guess is at least three of them will get quality snaps this season regardless of who starts against USU.

Last edited:
33yu20502sw.gif

I seen a lady at dollywood that looks like this one time... half carp the other half trailer park.

I think if we had a game this week they'd start Worley, period.

Everybody else is playing for 2nd string right now. Josh & Riley both had good days and bad ones. NP is clearly the odd man out.

I just hope one steps up

Tired of subpar QB play

I think you can count on sub par play from whoever we start at QB. I am not excited any of our choices right now.

Worley is a Senior that cannot clearly separate from the the rest. He may be our best choice, but I don't know anyone who thinks he is an SEC caliber QB. He can manage the game I guess. I think he got shafted with his development and is now like a square peg trying to fit into a round hole.

Riley may have a rocket arm and gunslinger attitude (that attribute is a mixed bag imo) but I question his ability to put it all together. I think he is the only one with serious raw talent. He is yet to prove that he can put it to use on the field though.

Dobbs might be brilliant with an abacus but I have seen nothing that shows his intelligence translates onto the field. Not when reading the D, not seeing wide open players, etc. Maybe he can run the ball for us and make things happen.

And Florida, that is all I will say about the last one other than seems like a nice kid.

I hope that with Worley gone next year we recruit someone over all the rest and get on with some TN level QB play.

Let Dobbs and Ferg both play and whichever one produces let him be the starter. Put Dobbs in for a designed run play and Ferg for slinging it down field. Confuse opposing defenses and switch them up. Butch is the coach and he will see enough by fall to determine who starts. I ain't really worried about it.

Last edited:
I think you can count on sub par play from whoever we start at QB. I am not excited any of our choices right now.

Worley is a Senior that cannot clearly separate from the the rest. He may be our best choice, but I don't know anyone who thinks he is an SEC caliber QB. He can manage the game I guess. I think he got shafted with his development and is now like a square peg trying to fit into a round hole.

Riley may have a rocket arm and gunslinger attitude (that attribute is a mixed bag imo) but I question his ability to put it all together. I think he is the only one with serious raw talent. He is yet to prove that he can put it to use on the field though.

Dobbs might be brilliant with an abacus but I have seen nothing that shows his intelligence translates onto the field. Not when reading the D, not seeing wide open players, etc. Maybe he can run the ball for us and make things happen.

And Florida, that is all I will say about the last one other than seems like a nice kid.

I hope that with Worley gone next year we recruit someone over all the rest and get on with some TN level QB play.

it never ends...VFL baby one minute then throw them all under the bus the next. Ferguson hasn't played a game yet and is a only a rs Freshman while Dobbs was throw in the fire to early out of necessity. Obviously they both suck. How about just support who we got and roll with it.

Josh Dobbs is bigger, faster, smarter, more accurate, more experienced, and less turnover-prone than Riley Ferguson, but Ferguson is still the better quarterback because... ?

One scrimmage does not a qb make. Did you see Dobbs last year? That guy turned it over a lot. Calm down, it's a scrimmage. It's his first live event.

Let Dobbs and Ferg both play and whichever one produces let him be the starter. Put Dobbs in for a designed run play and Ferg for slinging it down field. Confuse opposing defenses and switch them up. Butch is the coach and he will see enough by fall to determine who starts. I ain't really worried about it.

How about that could be a problem if Worley out produces them both?

More VN people writing of last years starter and only sign of hope.

Because Riley has an nfl arm which you cannot teach and Dobbs has very little arm strength also played against guys who might not see the field after Saturday especially with the freshman coming in.

wrong, Dobbs arm looked just fine in person saturday.

I don't think people on this board are jumping on Ferguson, because his first time in front of 68,000 fans wasn't perfectly smooth. They are jumping on the posters who anointed him the starter before they had seen him take a snap from center. Everybody here would be happy if he was the next freshman Heisman Trophy winner.

Tell that to the guy who wrote this....

" his weaknesses are understanding the system, the entire system. his reads are off, pass protections calls are off, and he takes too many risks. that's why butch clearly said that his type of qb play is not what is appropriate at the university of Tennessee"
-lexkyvol

Doubt he shares your sentiment.

I still see the depth chart as:

Worley
Ferguson

Dobbs
Peterman
I see it as reversing Dobbs & Ferguson above. Ferguson has never taken an SEC snap. It depends on point in the season and how it's going, if and when Worley goes down or totally flops. A seasoned coach in a tight game tight situation will put in a youngster that has taken SEC snaps and game experience over one who as not ... period. Ferguson could get the nod over Dobbs on down the line but not if we're in a tight game, we're playing .500 or better ball, in front of a hostile away crowd, and Worley goes down. In that situation you'll not see Ferguson trot out, it will be Dobbs.

VN Store

Back