Ranking UT Running Backs: James Stewart to present

Agreed. Jamal wasn't the same player after his injury. Fans speculated that he was going less than full speed to protect his NFL future and his subsequent career seems to have validated that belief.

The conventional wisdom is that a player won't be his old self until his second season back from surgery. Think about Nick Chubb in 2016 and Nick Chubb 2017. While you're at it also think about Shy Tuttle and Quarte Sapp. Don't be surprised if they don't have big seasons.

I remember telling people that Travis Henry was our best rb. After 1999 turned out to be a disappointment, some people were saying that Lewis was the worst first round draft choice ever. I told them that it was his second season back from surgery and he was going to tear it up his rookie season. Just following conventional wisdom is all.

Reactions: 1 person
Call me crazy but i like Rajion Neal on there over Hurd. 1100 yards, 12 TDs and 5.2 YPC in his best year. Over half a yard better per carry than any of Hurds years and a better actual SEC back.

Reactions: 3 people
I think Charlie Garner is among the best the Vols have ever had, so I think you have him too low.

I like these threads.

Hes as good as anyone on the list and better than most.

Physically Jamal had everything you would want.
Henry knew where to run and was hell to tackle.

I did this with the QB's about a week ago and several posters seemed to enjoy the discussion, so I thought we could argue about the RB's for a while. I know we have had many great RB's pre James Stewart but similarly to the QB rankings I would like to focus on the last 25 years or so with these rankings. Just rank your top 10. No need for tiers I just did it for fun.

Tier 1: Boss Hogs

1. Jamal Lewis
2. Alvin Kamara (flame away when he played he was incredible)
3. Travis Henry

Tier 2: Ballers

4. James Stewart
5. Arian Foster
6. Jay Graham
7. Travis Stephens
8. Charlie Garner

Tier 3: Solid RB's

9. Jalen Hurd
10. Montario Hardesty

Honorable mention:

Cedric Houston
Gerald Riggs Jr.

Travis Stephens should be in tier 1.

I did this with the QB's about a week ago and several posters seemed to enjoy the discussion, so I thought we could argue about the RB's for a while. I know we have had many great RB's pre James Stewart but similarly to the QB rankings I would like to focus on the last 25 years or so with these rankings. Just rank your top 10. No need for tiers I just did it for fun.

1. Jamal Lewis
3. Travis Henry

4. James Stewart
5. Arian Foster
6. Jay Graham
7. Travis Stephens
8. Charlie Garner

9. Jalen Hurd
10. Montario Hardesty

Honorable mention:

Cedric Houston
Gerald Riggs Jr.

1. Lewis
2. Henry
3. Garner
4. Kamara
5. Stewart
6. Stephens
7. Graham
8. Foster
9. Hardesty
10. Houston

Without ranking them I'd happily take these 10 as a featured back:

Hardesty
Garner
Riggs Jr.
Stephens
Henry
Stewart
Kamara
Graham
Lewis
Hayden

1. Jamal Lewis
3. Travis Henry

4. James Stewart
5. Arian Foster
6. Jay Graham
7. Travis Stephens
8. Charlie Garner

9. Jalen Hurd
10. Montario Hardesty

Honorable mention:

Cedric Houston
Gerald Riggs Jr.

Chuck Webb is the best UT running back I’ve ever seen. Reggie Cobb belongs on the list, Garner belongs higher up the list imo. Wouldn’t put Hurd in the top 10.

Reactions: 2 people
The conventional wisdom is that a player won't be his old self until his second season back from surgery. Think about Nick Chubb in 2016 and Nick Chubb 2017. While you're at it also think about Shy Tuttle and Quarte Sapp. Don't be surprised if they don't have big seasons.

I remember telling people that Travis Henry was our best rb. After 1999 turned out to be a disappointment, some people were saying that Lewis was the worst first round draft choice ever. I told them that it was his second season back from surgery and he was going to tear it up his rookie season. Just following conventional wisdom is all.

Yep.

I can't help but include a few from the years before James Stewart's time that I remember seeing in their prime.

My completely subjective (and not necessarily scientific) list:
1. Chuck Webb
2. Jamal Lewis
3. Charlie Garner
4. Travis Henry
5. Reggie Cobb
6. Jay Graham
7. James Stewart
8. Alvin Kamara
9. Travis Stephens
10. Montario Hardesty
Much better imo.

I would move Arian Foster down the list - I'm wondering if his NFL stats influenced that. Aside from 1 good year, I don't think Foster should be that high. Definitely not above Charlier Garner and Stephens. Perhaps if he had eaten more tacos the other 3 years they would have been stellar too :)

Last edited:
I can't help but include a few from the years before James Stewart's time that I remember seeing in their prime.

My completely subjective (and not necessarily scientific) list:
1. Chuck Webb
2. Jamal Lewis
3. Charlie Garner
4. Travis Henry
5. Reggie Cobb
6. Jay Graham
7. James Stewart
8. Alvin Kamara
9. Travis Stephens
10. Montario Hardesty

It's hard to not put Stephens higher just based on 2001 where he destroyed UF.

Went to HS with Gerald Riggs Jr. He was really only a best in the SECCG against LSU, he ran all over them, wish he could have played that well his entire career.

You might be thinking of the game against Auburn in 2004

This is a solid list. I totally agree with the top 3.

I would like to put Stephens and Stewart a little higher but I dont know who I would move down. I think Graham and Kamara would move down.

We all have our memories/opinions regarding these lists/rankings, it’s what makes the excersize worthwhile (here in mid-July).
So, for me it’s so easy, as Chuck Webb was without question the greatest tailback I have ever seen lace up on Shield Watkins field. Without the Pacific game injury, this would not even be a question, as Chuck would have likely gone on to ............. (much larger things).
Lewis and Garner round out the top 3, with everyone else contributing to out what makes for some great memories;
- Johnny Jones 3rd down run @ Legion Field v. Bama (for the youngsters, we used to play both Aub. & Bama in B’ham for away games)
- Hayden screen pass in South Bend
- Phillips screen pass against UF (it’s about time run)
- Hardesty torching Cal

I’ll end with this, I stand by my assertion that Webb is the best I have witnessed (i was in attendance for a 250 yd performance in the Cotton Bowl v. Arky, and I believe he did about same earlier that year out in LA v. UCLA. The guy was simply the best pure tailback I ever recall watching.
That said, the performance Jamal turned-in during his soph. campaign v. UGA in Neyland was special (toss sweep left, toss sweep right, he was getting his that night).

Agreed. Jamal wasn't the same player after his injury. Fans speculated that he was going less than full speed to protect his NFL future and his subsequent career seems to have validated that belief.

It was obvious. He just didn’t run as hard after the injury. He was the best back I had seen before the injury.

We all have our memories/opinions regarding these lists/rankings, it’s what makes the excersize worthwhile (here in mid-July).
So, for me it’s so easy, as Chuck Webb was without question the greatest tailback I have ever seen lace up on Shield Watkins field. Without the Pacific game injury, this would not even be a question, as Chuck would have likely gone on to ............. (much larger things).
Lewis and Garner round out the top 3, with everyone else contributing to out what makes for some great memories;
- Johnny Jones 3rd down run @ Legion Field v. Bama (for the youngsters, we used to play both Aub. & Bama in B’ham for away games)
- Hayden screen pass in South Bend
- Phillips screen pass against UF (it’s about time run)
- Hardesty torching Cal

I’ll end with this, I stand by my assertion that Webb is the best I have witnessed (i was in attendance for a 250 yd performance in the Cotton Bowl v. Arky, and I believe he did about same earlier that year out in LA v. UCLA. The guy was simply the best pure tailback I ever recall watching.
That said, the performance Jamal turned-in during his soph. campaign v. UGA in Neyland was special (toss sweep left, toss sweep right, he was getting his that night).

I was at the game against Ole Miss where Webb gained nearly 300 yards, he was simply amazing.

Not trying to offend anyone, but it is clear who the younger ones are on the board. Tennessee has been fortunate to have three of maybe the top twenty running backs in all of college football that have had limited careers at Tennessee:

Charlie Garner, Legends: Charlie Garner - YouTube

Chuck Webb, Chuck Webb's "relentless" day at the Cotton Bowl - YouTube

Jamal Lewis, Classic Tailback - Jamal Lewis Tennessee Highlights - YouTube

Garner had to compete with Hayden and Stewart for playing time and Lewis and Webb (who I think may have been on par with Barry Sanders) had devastating knee injuries.

Reactions: 3 people
Travis had the best stiff arm I've ever seen. It was against Vandy, I believe the linebacker was Jamie Winborne or something like that.

Not trying to offend anyone, but it is clear who the younger ones are on the board. Tennessee has been fortunate to have three of maybe the top twenty running backs in all of college football that have had limited careers at Tennessee:

Charlie Garner, Legends: Charlie Garner - YouTube

Chuck Webb, Chuck Webb's "relentless" day at the Cotton Bowl - YouTube

Jamal Lewis, Classic Tailback - Jamal Lewis Tennessee Highlights - YouTube

Garner had to compete with Hayden and Stewart for playing time and Lewis and Webb (who I think may have been on par with Barry Sanders) had devastating knee injuries.

I agree with you regarding able to tell ages of posters by who they put where on this list. However I'm not a fan of just starting with James Little Man Stewart. How 'bout we start with the Crossville Comet, Curt Watson?

Chuck Webb was UT's version of Barry Sanders.
Jamal Lewis was UT's version of Hershall Walker.

Been watching for 40+ years....none have come close.

Other favorites:
Charlie Garner
Reggie Cobb
Travis Stephens
Aaron Hayden
James Stewart

Now....how about this guy...?

Jeff Powell - former track guy from William and Mary - scorched Miami for 60 yards - straight up the middle - in the '86 Sugar Bowl. That was probably the best run I've ever seen a UT back break.

Reactions: 4 people
Chuck Webb was UT's version of Barry Sanders.
Jamal Lewis was UT's version of Hershall Walker.

Been watching for 40+ years....none have come close.

30+ years for me and I agree.

It was nice to see Webb come back to Knoxville a few years ago to be recognized by the fans. I hope he realizes how much he was appreciated (and still is).

A truly exceptional talent who would have undoubtedly been in the Heisman discussion if not for the knee injury that was 10 years too early to overcome.

I know the thread title says...

But like many others have said, Chuck Webb is the best back we've had
Cobb was great too..

What about the guy that stepped up when they went down? Thompson? No idea what his stats are. Just remember him being next man up.

It was obvious. He just didn’t run as hard after the injury. He was the best back I had seen before the injury.

Probably so, but they also say that the first year back is not close to 100%.

He was great with the Ravens.

VN Store

Back