Ranking UT Running Backs: James Stewart to present

I can't help but include a few from the years before James Stewart's time that I remember seeing in their prime.

My completely subjective (and not necessarily scientific) list:
1. Chuck Webb
2. Jamal Lewis
3. Charlie Garner
4. Travis Henry
5. Reggie Cobb
6. Jay Graham
7. James Stewart
8. Alvin Kamara
9. Travis Stephens
10. Montario Hardesty

No argument from me. I would list in that exact order.

Reactions: 1 person
Chuck Webb. Tony Robinson. Bernard King. Three VFLs that were ________. It's impossible to pick just one word to describe their brilliant performances. Legends.

I really dont see a valid argument of putting Kamara anywhere but 10. The guy just didnt have the opportunity to show enough. And in no way shape or form should he be ranked ahead of Stephens.

Always wondered what would of happened if Jamal Lewis hadn’t of blown out his knee.

1 Jamal Lewis,2 Arian Foster,3 Charlie Garner,4 Travis Henry,5 James Stewart,6 Jay Graham,7 Travis Stephens,8 Alvin Kamara,9 Jalen Hurd,10 Cedric Houston,11 Montario Hardesty,12 Gerald Riggs Jr.

I know the thread title says...

But like many others have said, Chuck Webb is the best back we've had
Cobb was great too..

What about the guy that stepped up when they went down? Thompson? No idea what his stats are. Just remember him being next man up.

Yeah, I believe you're thinking of Tony Thompson. He stepped up and kept it going.

Garner is my #1. If he had been here more than 2 years it wouldn't even be a debate.

6.7 YPC is insane and, as he showed in the NFL, he was ridiculously undertilized as a receiver.

Tennessee truly has been blessed with gifted backs.

@Marcusluvsvols, you brought up Tony Thompson who definitely earned his spot as one of the greats. You mentioned how he was that next man up who "stepped up" when Cobb-Webb went down and I said he stepped up and kept it going, but that doesn't even begin to give it justice, so I figured I'd share a little about his time as a Vol for those younger fans or newer VFLs to see a great tailback who gets slept on when it comes time to mention the Who's who of the great Tennessee running backs.

He was next man up when Cobb got injured and ran over a hundred and twenty yards that game and then when Webb got injured he stepped up and ran over a hundred twenty yards in that game too.

When it was time for him to start, he picked right up where they left off and ran over a thousand yards (1260+ 1st in SEC) and led the SEC in rushing and scoring that season as well as earned 1st Team All SEC honors...and the SEC Player of the Year.

Tennessee won the SEC Championship that year for the second year in a row and also led the whole conference in scoring for the season.

Here's a brief fan made highlight video I found:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiO0jvghUuU[/youtube]

Then as if that wasn't enough, after already running for over 150 yards in the New Year's Day Sugar Bowl against Virginia on 01/01/91, he scores the come from behind game-winning touchdown with just 31 seconds left in the game to lift the #10 ranked Vols to victory in the Sugar Bowl.

Tennessee was down the whole game until his last touchdown. For any who haven't seen it, it's an entertaining one. I'll post the video to it so you can check out Tony Thompson's dive into the end zone. Greg Amsler played fullback and pretty much took over in the second half with his own contributions.

The final play, Tennessee lines up in the Power I formation and imposes Volunteers victory at will. This is a callback to the brand of football played when Tennessee football was at least respected if not downright feared by opposing teams. Coach Majors kept his cool despite some questionable penalty calls and both the offensive line and defensive line stepped up like men among boys and willed the win to happen in that second half. Tennessee simply refused to give up and broke Virginia's spirit in the end.

I found the video to that full game here:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF5sDMMmlTQ[/youtube]

The exciting part is with the current roster of backs this season Tennessee can put together that kind of rushing attack like you see with Thompson and Amsler in the same game. You see Thompson run over a hundred and fifty and yet also see production from Amsler with meaningful carries as well as receiving yards out of the backfield too.

The commentators even said, "And guess who made that big block to allow Andy Kelly time to complete the pass for the important first down? That's right, Greg Amsler."
(It kept the drive alive in the 4th quarter with the game on the line.)

This game was won at the line of scrimmage on offense and defense.

Dale Carter (#18 Nigel Warrior's father) came through with the interception on the last play of the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people

@Marcusluvsvols, you brought up Tony Thompson who definitely earned his spot as one of the greats. You mentioned how he was that next man up who "stepped up" when Cobb-Webb went down and I said he stepped up and kept it going, but that doesn't even begin to give it justice, so I figured I'd share a little about his time as a Vol for those younger fans or newer VFLs to see a great tailback who gets slept on when it comes time to mention the Who's who of the great Tennessee running backs.

He was next man up when Cobb got injured and ran over a hundred and twenty yards that game and then when Webb got injured he stepped up and ran over a hundred twenty yards in that game too.

When it was time for him to start, he picked right up where they left off and ran over a thousand yards (1260+ 1st in SEC) and led the SEC in rushing and scoring that season as well as earned 1st Team All SEC honors...and the SEC Player of the Year.

Then as if that wasn't enough, after already running for over 150 yards in the New Year's Day Sugar Bowl against Virginia on 01/01/91, he scores the come from behind game-winning touchdown with just 31 seconds left in the game to lift the #10 ranked Vols to victory in the Sugar Bowl.

Tennessee was down the whole game until his last touchdown. For any who haven't seen it, it's an entertaining one. I'll post the video to it so you can check out Tony Thompson's dive into the end zone. Greg Amsler played fullback and pretty much took over in the second half with his own contributions.

The final play, Tennessee lines up in the Power I formation and imposes Volunteers victory at will. This is a callback to the brand of football played when Tennessee football was at least respected if not downright feared by opposing teams. Coach Majors kept his cool despite some questionable penalty calls and both the offensive line and defensive line stepped up like men among boys and willed the win to happen in that second half. Tennessee simply refused to give up and broke Virginia's spirit in the end.

[youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF5sDMMmlTQ[/youtube]

The exciting part is with the current roster of backs this season Tennessee can put together that kind of rushing attack like you see with Thompson and Amsler in the same game. You see Thompson run over a hundred and fifty and yet also see production from Amsler with meaningful carries as well as receiving yards out of the backfield too.

The commentators even said, "And guess who made that big block to allow Andy Kelly time to complete the pass for the important first down? That's right, Greg Amsler."

Dale Carter (#18 Nigel Warrior's father) came through with the interception on the last play of the game.

[youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF5sDMMmlTQ[/youtube]

Nice.

I would have to put Aaron Hayden in there. IMO, Hayden ran the ball down the field and Little Man Stewart scored the TD.

Glad you wrote this. Was thinking about AH too! AH played about 7-8 years in the NFL too if I'm not mistaken.
He was a VERY talented RB that was probably overshadowed a bit by Little Man.

Say what you want about the guy and I’m not an apologist towards him but Hurd has to be on the list. I’ve forgiven him for what he did and have moved on. Before his meltdown he was on pace to obliterate Henry’s yardage record and probably would’ve never been broken in my lifetime. It’s pretty hard limiting it to 10 because we’ve had so many great backs and I didn’t want to leave anyone off the list.

1. Jamal Lewis
2. Chuck Webb
3. Alvin Kamara
4. Reggie Cobb
5. Travis Henry
6. Jalen Hurd
7. Travis Stephens
8. Jay Graham
9. Arian Foster
10. James Stewart

Honorable Mention: Charlie Garner, Cedric Houston, Montario Hardesty, Tony Thompson, Josh Dobbs (Many may not know but he is actually 3rd on our all time rushing TDs list and saved us countless times with his legs so not technically a RB but I just wanted to give him a mention because he was like a wizard getting us out of sticky situations sometimes.)

Last edited:

Tennessee won the SEC Championship that year for the second year in a row and also led the whole conference in scoring for the season.

UVA was ranked as high as #1 that year. Herman Moore was a super stud WR and Sean Moore was a Heisman candidate QB. Herman still holds the UVA single season receptions and TD record as well as the high jump record at UVA. Picked #10 overall by Detroit. UVA was a heckuva team that year.

Last edited:
I did this with the QB's about a week ago and several posters seemed to enjoy the discussion, so I thought we could argue about the RB's for a while. I know we have had many great RB's pre James Stewart but similarly to the QB rankings I would like to focus on the last 25 years or so with these rankings. Just rank your top 10. No need for tiers I just did it for fun.

Tier 1: Boss Hogs

1. Jamal Lewis
2. Alvin Kamara (flame away when he played he was incredible)
3. Travis Henry

Tier 2: Ballers

4. James Stewart
5. Arian Foster
6. Jay Graham
7. Travis Stephens
8. Charlie Garner

Tier 3: Solid RB's

9. Jalen Hurd
10. Montario Hardesty

Honorable mention:

Cedric Houston
Gerald Riggs Jr.

I would move Stephens up and Stewart down. Stephens always seems to be underrated by our fanbase. I also think you are ranking Lewis and Kamara more on their pro careers than what they did in college although both were very good in college.

Say what you want about the guy and I’m not an apologist towards him but Hurd has to be on the list. I’ve forgiven him for what he did and have moved on. Before his meltdown he was on pace to obliterate Henry’s yardage record and probably would’ve never been broken in my lifetime. It’s pretty hard limiting it to 10 because we’ve had so many great backs and I didn’t want to leave anyone off the list.

1. Jamal Lewis
2. Chuck Webb
3. Alvin Kamara
4. Reggie Cobb
5. Travis Henry
6. Jalen Hurd
7. Travis Stephens
8. Jay Graham
9. Arian Foster
10. James Stewart

Honorable Mention: Charlie Garner, Cedric Houston, Montario Hardesty, Tony Thompson, Josh Dobbs (Many may not know but he is actually 3rd on our all time rushing TDs list and saved us countless times with his legs so not technically a RB but I just wanted to give him a mention because he was like a wizard getting us out of sticky situations sometimes.)

Hurd ahead of Stephens (and Graham). SMH.

Last edited:
Hurd was a solid back but no way he should be mentioned with the great backs that have worn the T. Johnny Jones hasn't even been mentioned in this thread and he was a better runner than Hurd.

Reactions: 3 people
Hurd ahead of Stephens (and Graham). SMH.

I mean he was going to break the record before the end of his third season had he not checked out. It’s not a popularity contest. I’m not the NFL Hall of Fame trying to keep someone out because I don’t agree with what they did. Stats are stats and I’m trying to be objective. Fact is he was going to be the leading rusher in our program and sits right behind Jamal Lewis with only 2.5 years of playing time. Think what you want about him but he was one of the best backs we ever had.

Garner is my #1. If he had been here more than 2 years it wouldn't even be a debate.

6.7 YPC is insane and, as he showed in the NFL, he was ridiculously undertilized as a receiver.

I truly hate to say it, but "under-utilized offensive talent at the skill positions" seems to be a lasting UT trend.

Hurd was a solid back but no way he should be mentioned with the great backs that have worn the T. Johnny Jones hasn't even been mentioned in this thread and he was a better runner than Hurd.

Johnnie Jones was early 80s. OP wanted to keep it around 25 years.

Glad you wrote this. Was thinking about AH too! AH played about 7-8 years in the NFL too if I'm not mistaken.
He was a VERY talented RB that was probably overshadowed a bit by Little Man.

He had that REALLY UGLY Joe Theismann level leg injury in his last season...that slowed the beginning of his Pro career. :yuck:

I would move Stephens up and Stewart down. Stephens always seems to be underrated by our fanbase. I also think you are ranking Lewis and Kamara more on their pro careers than what they did in college although both were very good in college.

Nah on the Lewis Kamara thing. I jut based it on their ability to make people look silly in college. My rankings were based on a mix of talent, stats and clutch moment performance ( I think...haha)

VN Store

Back