Johnny Jones
Jay Graham
Johnny Majors
Hank Lauricella
Aaron Hayden
Hubert Simpson
Jalen Hurd

Reactions: 2 people
hell yes to this..... I would even take a second stringer like Bryan Kimbro compared to our recent production at starter. In all fairness though we used to have strong Ends and Tackles up front coached by guys like Ken Donahue, Doug Matthews etc.. that took a lot of work/pressure of the LB’s

You're absolutely right about that. Leonard Little and Al Wilson would eat a lot of lunches lol :hi:

To add a note to go with the thread, the way Webb would weave in and out while still moving full speed was nearly flawless.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm feeling unrestricted:

1. Chuck Webb
2. Jamal Lewis
3. Travis Henry
4. Charlie Garner
5. Alvin Kamara
6. Beattie Feathers
7. Curt Watson
8. Reggie Cobb
9. Travis Stephens
10. James Stewart

Honorable Mention:
Johnny Jones
Jay Graham
Johnny Majors
Hank Lauricella
Aaron Hayden
Hubert Simpson
Jalen Hurd

Drop Hurd and i can dig it

Hurd would have been a beast had he had the right blocking schemes. It was obvious during the Bowl game when he ran with a fullback/TE blocker to bust into the second level. He was unstoppable in that game. I wish we would have run that offense the following year we would have been hard to handle. I agree he shouldn't have quit on the team midseason you just don't leave your brothers like that. If he and Kamara would have been used correctly that team wouldn't have fell flat at the end of the year.

Tennessee truly has been blessed with gifted backs.

@Marcusluvsvols, you brought up Tony Thompson who definitely earned his spot as one of the greats. You mentioned how he was that next man up who "stepped up" when Cobb-Webb went down and I said he stepped up and kept it going, but that doesn't even begin to give it justice, so I figured I'd share a little about his time as a Vol for those younger fans or newer VFLs to see a great tailback who gets slept on when it comes time to mention the Who's who of the great Tennessee running backs.

He was next man up when Cobb got injured and ran over a hundred and twenty yards that game and then when Webb got injured he stepped up and ran over a hundred twenty yards in that game too.

When it was time for him to start, he picked right up where they left off and ran over a thousand yards (1260+ 1st in SEC) and led the SEC in rushing and scoring that season as well as earned 1st Team All SEC honors...and the SEC Player of the Year.

Tennessee won the SEC Championship that year for the second year in a row and also led the whole conference in scoring for the season.

Here's a brief fan made highlight video I found:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiO0jvghUuU[/youtube]

Then as if that wasn't enough, after already running for over 150 yards in the New Year's Day Sugar Bowl against Virginia on 01/01/91, he scores the come from behind game-winning touchdown with just 31 seconds left in the game to lift the #10 ranked Vols to victory in the Sugar Bowl.

Tennessee was down the whole game until his last touchdown. For any who haven't seen it, it's an entertaining one. I'll post the video to it so you can check out Tony Thompson's dive into the end zone. Greg Amsler played fullback and pretty much took over in the second half with his own contributions.

The final play, Tennessee lines up in the Power I formation and imposes Volunteers victory at will. This is a callback to the brand of football played when Tennessee football was at least respected if not downright feared by opposing teams. Coach Majors kept his cool despite some questionable penalty calls and both the offensive line and defensive line stepped up like men among boys and willed the win to happen in that second half. Tennessee simply refused to give up and broke Virginia's spirit in the end.

I found the video to that full game here:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF5sDMMmlTQ[/youtube]

The exciting part is with the current roster of backs this season Tennessee can put together that kind of rushing attack like you see with Thompson and Amsler in the same game. You see Thompson run over a hundred and fifty and yet also see production from Amsler with meaningful carries as well as receiving yards out of the backfield too.

The commentators even said, "And guess who made that big block to allow Andy Kelly time to complete the pass for the important first down? That's right, Greg Amsler."
(It kept the drive alive in the 4th quarter with the game on the line.)

This game was won at the line of scrimmage on offense and defense.

Dale Carter (#18 Nigel Warrior's father) came through with the interception on the last play of the game.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF5sDMMmlTQ[/youtube]

I remember the game, well. I was checking to see how many here were as old as me, 41, and remembered also. Tony was talented, and our O lines back then were great....and check this out...Greg Amsler and Roland poles were our FULLBACKS and they carried the ball, and lead blocked in the I Formation...and we ran the rock.

Nobody has mentioned the fullbacks...what about Shawn Bryson???
.he was a beast..then a beast in the NFL...watch the old tapes and see what the FULLBACKS did. Those guys ran about 250 or 260 and brought the pain. Bryson was nearly that big, and had 4.5 speed....wow.

Reggie Cobb ran the ball like he was born to do it. Athleticism, speed, power, agility, burst, quickness, cuts, you name it.

I mean, Chuck Webb belongs right at the very top of the G.O.A.T. discussion, but there was a time early on as great as he was right out of the gate, that he was still playing in Reggie Cobb's shadow until he fully came into his own because of the impact Cobb had already made.

Webb was a redshirt freshman. Cobb wasn’t.

It is clear that Webb opened some eyes quickly, because he was splitting carries before Cobb was dismissed.

And then without Cobb in the equation, he upped the ante and then the Ole Miss game happened....

Last edited:
I remember the game, well. I was checking to see how many here were as old as me, 41, and remembered also. Tony was talented, and our O lines back then were great....and check this out...Greg Amsler and Roland poles were our FULLBACKS and they carried the ball, and lead blocked in the I Formation...and we ran the rock.

.he was a beast..then a beast in the NFL...watch the old tapes and see what the FULLBACKS did. Those guys ran about 250 or 260 and brought the pain. Bryson was nearly that big, and had 4.5 speed....wow.

Yup, as fullbacks, Bryson, Amsler, Poles and Sam "Bam" Henderson. Also, back in the day, Richard Pickens wasn't all that big, but I remember him as a good FBk. :hi:

41, you are a youngster. 😀

I remember the game, well. I was checking to see how many here were as old as me, 41, and remembered also. Tony was talented
was at that one ! Think I was around 12. What I will always remember was that we got our doors blown off in the 1st half, seems like we were down damn near 4TD’s. At the half the UVA band “Performed” and basically had created a halftime show about Tennesseans being a state full of ignorant inbreds. The final straw was some sort of insult aimed at..... you guessed it.... Elvis!! The crowd went ape, the UVA band was booed off the field, Tony Thompson ran wild and plunged in for the game winning TD with time basically expiring!!! Good times and yes I know....cool story bruh.

One of my favorite Vol videos

For all you young folks meet Mr Greg Amsler

Greg Amsler - YouTube
man!! I had forgotten him being that agile with the ball in his hands. Looked a lot like Jason Witten before we knew what a Jason Witten was! IIRC Amsler was called on to do more blocking in the FB position than Witten in the TE position , but still see a lot of similarities in bowling people over and being a deceptively quick and agile big man

was at that one ! Think I was around 12. What I will always remember was that we got our doors blown off in the 1st half, seems like we were down damn near 4TD’s. At the half the UVA band “Performed” and basically had created a halftime show about Tennesseans being a state full of ignorant inbreds. The final straw was some sort of insult aimed at..... you guessed it.... Elvis!! The crowd went ape, the UVA band was booed off the field, Tony Thompson ran wild and plunged in for the game winning TD with time basically expiring!!! Good times and yes I know....cool story bruh.

Watched that one on tv so didn’t catch the halftime show. It’s almost unbelievable they would show that much disrespect

Watched that one on tv so didn’t catch the halftime show. It’s almost unbelievable they would show that much disrespect
Not sure if the UVA band is still that way but I think they were trying to mimic the irreverence of the Stanford band and of course attempt to rile up the opposing fans in the process.

It definitely worked that night. It was before I started getting plastered at games too ( I no longer do), so I know I didn’t imagine it. Anybody else there remember??

Not sure if the UVA band is still that way but I think they were trying to mimic the irreverence of the Stanford band and of course attempt to rile up the opposing fans in the process.

It definitely worked that night. It was before I started getting plastered at games too ( I no longer do), so I know I didn’t imagine it. Anybody else there remember??

I was at the game, but I was plastered so I am of no help.

I was at the game, but I was plastered so I am of no help.
sounds like me from 99- The first year of unnamed prior coach. Hindsight I’m really not sure how I managed it the last 5 years sans alcohol! Guess responsibilities like children will do that though.

I’m not doubting your story. I can remember after that game several Vol players commenting that the UVA players talked a lot of smack during bowl game activities.

I’m not doubting your story. I can remember after that game several Vol players commenting that the UVA players talked a lot of smack during bowl game activities.
wonder if that brash WR For UVA that was nicknamed precious was talking any trash

I know the thread title says...

But like many others have said, Chuck Webb is the best back we've had
Cobb was great too..

What about the guy that stepped up when they went down? Thompson? No idea what his stats are. Just remember him being next man up.

I remember Tony Thompson. He was a very competent back-up running back. Super cool dude. Met him at a Farragut football game back when he was still playing at UT.

Here's my list. I'm respecting the original poster's request of James Stewart (1991) and beyond. If we went back to 1989, Chuck Webb would be easily #1 and Cobb would figure in there somewhere and probably Tony Thompson too.

1. Lewis
2. Garner
3. Stephens
4. Henry
5. Stewart
6. Graham
7. Hardesty
8. Kamara
9. Hayden
10. Hurd
11. Riggs
12. Foster
13. Houston

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
The youngsters also don't know that Tennessee use to be a breading ground for all things LB.. I'm waiting on this thread to come up lol

Great thought on the LB’s;
If you go all the way back to “jack”, then you have names, the likes of;
Jamie R.
Andy S.
Ron M.
Criag P.

the list goes on .......

And if we go a few years before Cobb/Webb, I would replace the prolific father with Johnnie Jones. Same top two as you, Garner and Cobb pretty much tied at three, then Jones.

Johnnie was incredible before his injury. Unbelievable balance. We was like a weeble. He'd wooble but not go down.

VN Store

Back