Ranking UT Running Backs: James Stewart to present

I can't help but include a few from the years before James Stewart's time that I remember seeing in their prime.

My completely subjective (and not necessarily scientific) list:
1. Chuck Webb
2. Jamal Lewis
3. Charlie Garner
4. Travis Henry
5. Reggie Cobb
6. Jay Graham
7. James Stewart
8. Alvin Kamara
9. Travis Stephens
10. Montario Hardesty

Chuck Webb: I missed Chuck Webb because at that time, I was in the Marines and stationed in Japan.

Jamal Lewis: Even at his size, he had speed. However; his junior season, he played to not get hurt and didn't give the extra effort. He didn't fight too much to avoid tackles and gain extra yardage.

Charlie Garner: Should have started the first game of the season, rather than playing back up

Travis Henry: Won the Arkansas game for us.

Reggie Cobb: Missed seeing him play, I was in the Marines at the time and stationed in Japan.

Jay Graham: He carried the team during his senior year. Heck, I can't even think of who his back up was because they never saw the field that year.

James Stewart: He was a big guy but was a version of Garner. Could run and also catch well. The non play that stands out the most of him is when he was open in the end zone against Bama and Manning threw the ball to a receiver who was NOT open and we lost the game at home.

Alvin Kamara: Will always remember his performance against A & M.

Travis Stephens: Florida game. Also, I don't remember ever seeing his back up even see the field that year.

Montario Hardesty: Kiffin used him effectively enough for him to get drafted by Cleveland. Kiffin helped his career and also Crompton's.

I mean he was going to break the record before the end of his third season had he not checked out. It’s not a popularity contest. I’m not the NFL Hall of Fame trying to keep someone out because I don’t agree with what they did. Stats are stats and I’m trying to be objective. Fact is he was going to be the leading rusher in our program and sits right behind Jamal Lewis with only 2.5 years of playing time. Think what you want about him but he was one of the best backs we ever had.

"Going to" meant he never did it. Sort of like Nic Chubb being a "great" SEC RB but was never named to an AA team. The excuses people made and make like the above poster has done for this young man throughout his upbringing are likely one of the largest contributing factors as to why he is like he has turned out so far.

1. Jamal Lewis
2. Chuck Webb
3. Travis Henry
4. Travis Stephens
5. Charlie Garner
6. Aaron Hayden
7. Jay Graham
8. Alvin Kamara
9. James Stewart
10. Hardesty/ Foster.

Hurd was a solid back but no way he should be mentioned with the great backs that have worn the T. Johnny Jones hasn't even been mentioned in this thread and he was a better runner than Hurd.

You're right. Of the top 10 UT individual rushing games in UT history, Webb has top two, but Tony Thompson and Jones are the only other ones with more than one game in the top 10. So, 6 of top single game rushing performances EVER have been by these three VFL's!

Reactions: 2 people
Glad you wrote this. Was thinking about AH too! AH played about 7-8 years in the NFL too if I'm not mistaken.
He was a VERY talented RB that was probably overshadowed a bit by Little Man.

According to his wiki he played 4 in the NFL, not bad considering he suffered a nasty nasty broken leg after a long run against Vandy his senior year.

Any list that has Kamara in the top 5 is absolutely laughable! He couldn't even make it through 1/2 of an Alabama game as the starting TB.....

Lewis, Webb, Cobb, Garner, and Stephens are obviously the best of the best....

After those it's a toss up....a lot of fumblers left on the list, though....

Reactions: 1 person
You're right. Of the top 10 UT individual rushing games in UT history, Webb has top two, but Tony Thompson and Jones are the only other ones with more than one game in the top 10. So, 6 of top single game rushing performances EVER have been by these three VFL's!
I realize the “poleling” is James Stewart to present. IIRC Little man signed the year that Tony Thompson graduated, but Tony Thompson was a baller!! He was often overshadowed when UT had RB studs all over the field. He had an uncanny knack for quick cuts and then off to the races!! Very underestimated RB

Chuck Webb was UT's version of Barry Sanders.
Jamal Lewis was UT's version of Hershall Walker.

Been watching for 40+ years....none have come close.

Other favorites:
Charlie Garner
Reggie Cobb
Travis Stephens
Aaron Hayden
James Stewart

Now....how about this guy...?

Jeff Powell - former track guy from William and Mary - scorched Miami for 60 yards - straight up the middle - in the '86 Sugar Bowl. That was probably the best run I've ever seen a UT back break.

Frank Broyles: "Benny Blades has world-class speed and he can't catch this track man from William and Mary."

Frank Broyles: "Benny Blades has world-class speed and he can't catch this track man from William and Mary."
was a hell of a run! I was 7 years old and it’s one of my first real memories of Vol football. Reggie Cobb in the rain -vs- Auburn comes to mind too!

Reggie Cobb ran the ball like he was born to do it. Athleticism, speed, power, agility, burst, quickness, cuts, you name it.

I mean, Chuck Webb belongs right at the very top of the G.O.A.T. discussion, but there was a time early on as great as he was right out of the gate, that he was still playing in Reggie Cobb's shadow until he fully came into his own because of the impact Cobb had already made.

Reggie Cobb ran the ball like he was born to do it. Athleticism, speed, power, agility, burst, quickness, cuts, you name it.

I mean, Chuck Webb belongs right at the very top of the G.O.A.T. discussion, but there was a time early on as great as he was right out of the gate, that he was still playing in Reggie Cobb's shadow until he fully came into his own because of the impact Cobb had already made.
i really believe if Webb hadn’t blown his knee out that he would be mentioned in the Herschel Walker and Bo Jackson tier of SEC RB’s. I was at that cold arsed New Year’s Day in Dallas when he ran all over the razorbacks

Reactions: 4 people
Oh all you youngsters.

In his era, Curt Watson was darn good too. I’m not sure he’s a top 10 all time, but should be in the discussion.
he was a few years before my time but I had family in Crossville who would always talk about the Crossville Comet. Watson was later a Navy Blue Angels flyer too..... but I’m sure you knew that Illinoisvol

1. Charlie Garner "The man with a thousand moves in a two-foot wide hole"- Why number 1? 6.7 y/a. That is almost a full YARD better than second place Chuck Webb and he is second all-time in y/g. Simply a superb back. He had vision, great hands/route running, durable despite his diminutive stature, COULD MAKE YOU MISS IN A SMALL CONFINED SPACE - why am I yelling this? Because this is the single most important determining factor in a running back's success - especially in the NFL - that's why Adrian Foster was so successful in the NFL game - and I would argue Mr. Foster was the better at this than any other UT back we ever had - but he did need a hole - No hole??? Charlie Garner made his own damn hole! You don't believe me? Watch his tape. There is a reason James Stewart and Aaron Hayden sat a lot that year.

2. Travis Henry "The man with a thousand baby mamas" - dependable, #1 all-time in total yards - extremely fertile - ran ball down Arkansas' throat when we had our heart in our throats and VOL fans needed it the most - count the yards after contact in that drive then take a second look and watch Shawn Bryson owning Arkansas' LBs...if they were in prison Arkansas' LBers would have to hold Mr. Bryson's inside out pocket all day after that drive. OWNED. WITHOUT Travis Henry we never get to the NC game. He had 182 yards when the DRIVE started. He was the ONLY thing Arkansas could not stop that day. Great vision, VERY low center of gravity, POWERFUL - He hit you and, unlike Jay Graham, he did it at an angle. Hence the 5.5 y/a vs the 4.8 y/a of Mr. Graham.

3. Jamal Lewis "But I have more talent than the two above me & a SB ring" - I have been lucky enough to be in a stadium to watch some of the best RB not just in the SEC but the country. If your wondering, Bo Jackson is #1 and Herschel Walker #2 but the third most talented back I ever saw in person was Jamal Lewis. His vision, power, speed and ability to cut at an 80 degree angle was simply breath taking. He never truly was the same back after his injury but he always ran HARD. Also, only UT back of the modern era to average over 100 y/g for a career; 107 to be exact. Extra points for his run against Auburn AFTER he tore his knee and knew it. Lewis was tough. Lewis always ran hard.
Lewis CARED. That whole "the next year he played it safe" theory is BS.

4. Chuck Webb "I love being great but not necessarily the game" - best vision of an UT back period. Could make a tackler miss in a phone booth. RELENTLESS. Like Jamal he was never the same after his knee injury...oh let's be honest was never a football player after his injury. Let's move on from talking about Chuck Webb. It makes me sad and always will.

5. James "Little Man" Stewart - 35 touchdowns [Thanks Aaron Hayden] - from my hometown - 3rd in total yards while sharing time with Garner/Hayden - Never met an Alabama goal line he couldn't fumble on - always ran hard, great inside and outside runner, good vision- kind of the AVERAGE of great UT backs. Had he been UT's only option for 4 years might have been the considered the best. Unfortunately, this is a theme for UT backs.

6. Johnnie Jones "Mr. Underrated" - a VERY good back 5.5 y/a - #4 all-time in yards per game. He should get more respect - going mostly on faded memory - not a lot of film I can find on him - one day I will break into the UT football film archive and never leave surviving on Mountain Dew and cheezy poofs until I die... not a bad way to go out... he played with great players on average UT teams

7. Alvin Kamara "Gimme the DAMN ball" - carried the ball about 8.2 times/game from tailback as a soph and 9.4 times/game as a jr - "See I did use him more." - Butch Jones **Interestingly New Orleans let him carry the rock 7.5 times/game even LESS than Butch but threw him the ball an additional 81 times or about twice as much as Butch Jones, hereto referred to as THE MASON. The new prototypical back of the NFL game. He has deceptive speed, an amazing short burst, superior vision and Marshall Faulk's hands and the man can break a tackle and MAKE YOU PAY. Kind of defies traditional RB measuring statistics much like Charlie Garner.

8. Reggie Cobb "I was the man until all that Cobb/Webb business started" - watching Reggie Cobb run a sweep made you want to quit football if you were a DB. He was a freight-train "headed downhill"- means great body lean - ran for over 1,000 yards for Tampa Bay when they still wore orange jerseys - I defy you to name anyone on that team - oh and it being Tampa Bay, they made him play fullback as a rookie A solid back. No true weaknesses.

9. Adrian Foster "Nobody ever called him Normal" - a better pro than collegian? statistically yes, but maybe not - played at the end of the Fulmer Era when UT had begun to struggle. Great Vision, could make you miss, good body lean, did NOT cost us the Penn State bowl game. Mostly, he was frustratingly inconsistent. Maturity? Maybe, I never met the guy. Offensive line woes? Definitely a factor. Nick Stevens as a starting QB? Didn't help. Jimmie Hyams inability to do a decent Teri dactyl voiced interview? Hyams has always been 75% IN at best and yes, I do think he could kill a wolf one on one. He has opposing thumbs and his "strangle it" pre-game strategy could pay off. At least, he wasn't boring. Besides normal is overrated.

10. Tony Thompson "The little Train that did" - Watch his highlights. A home run hitter. He was small, probably less than he was listed, which, if i remember correctly, was about 5'7". Most of his lineman's girlfriends weighed more. But what was there was muscle, determination and two legs which pumped like pistons. In his only season as a starter he rushed for over 1,200 yards. He would get absolutely killed, I mean even the announcers would groan, then bounce up like it was routine and hit you for a 12 yard gain. I just loved him. One of my favorite UT players along with JJ McCleskey and Mose Phillips [see a theme here] of all-time. It's my pick. I'm not dissing Cedric Houston, Travis Stephens or Aaron Hayden all who could go here. Out of those three I'd pick Stephens. But Tony Thompson was FUN to watch. Watching him try to bowl over three defenders and succeed? Priceless.

Reactions: 7 people
Not trying to offend anyone, but it is clear who the younger ones are on the board. Tennessee has been fortunate to have three of maybe the top twenty running backs in all of college football that have had limited careers at Tennessee:

Charlie Garner, Legends: Charlie Garner - YouTube

Chuck Webb, Chuck Webb's "relentless" day at the Cotton Bowl - YouTube

Jamal Lewis, Classic Tailback - Jamal Lewis Tennessee Highlights - YouTube

Garner had to compete with Hayden and Stewart for playing time and Lewis and Webb (who I think may have been on par with Barry Sanders) had devastating knee injuries.

The youngsters also don't know that Tennessee use to be a breading ground for all things LB.. I'm waiting on this thread to come up lol

Reactions: 5 people
1. Charlie Garner "The man with a thousand moves in a two-foot wide hole"- Why number 1? 6.7 y/a. That is almost a full YARD better than second place Chuck Webb and he is second all-time in y/g. Simply a superb back. He had vision, great hands/route running, durable despite his diminutive stature, COULD MAKE YOU MISS IN A SMALL CONFINED SPACE - why am I yelling this? Because this is the single most important determining factor in a running back's success - especially in the NFL - that's why Adrian Foster was so successful in the NFL game - and I would argue Mr. Foster was the better at this than any other UT back we ever had - but he did need a hole - No hole??? Charlie Garner made his own damn hole! You don't believe me? Watch his tape. There is a reason James Stewart and Aaron Hayden sat a lot that year.

2. Travis Henry "The man with a thousand baby mamas" - dependable, #1 all-time in total yards - extremely fertile - ran ball down Arkansas' throat when we had our heart in our throats and VOL fans needed it the most - count the yards after contact in that drive then take a second look and watch Shawn Bryson owning Arkansas' LBs...if they were in prison Arkansas' LBers would have to hold Mr. Bryson's inside out pocket all day after that drive. OWNED. WITHOUT Travis Henry we never get to the NC game. He had 182 yards when the DRIVE started. He was the ONLY thing Arkansas could not stop that day. Great vision, VERY low center of gravity, POWERFUL - He hit you and, unlike Jay Graham, he did it at an angle. Hence the 5.5 y/a vs the 4.8 y/a of Mr. Graham.

3. Jamal Lewis "But I have more talent than the two above me & a SB ring" - I have been lucky enough to be in a stadium to watch some of the best RB not just in the SEC but the country. If your wondering, Bo Jackson is #1 and Herschel Walker #2 but the third most talented back I ever saw in person was Jamal Lewis. His vision, power, speed and ability to cut at an 80 degree angle was simply breath taking. He never truly was the same back after his injury but he always ran HARD. Also, only UT back of the modern era to average over 100 y/g for a career; 107 to be exact. Extra points for his run against Auburn AFTER he tore his knee and knew it. Lewis was tough. Lewis always ran hard.

4. Chuck Webb "I love being great but not necessarily the game" - best vision of an UT back period. Could make a tackler miss in a phone booth. RELENTLESS. Like Jamal he was never the same after his knee injury...oh let's be honest was never a football player after his injury. Let's move on from talking about Chuck Webb. It makes me sad and always will.

5. James "Little Man" Stewart - 35 touchdowns [Thanks Aaron Hayden] - from my hometown - 3rd in total yards while sharing time with Garner/Hayden - Never met an Alabama goal line he couldn't fumble on - always ran hard, great inside and outside runner, good vision- kind of the AVERAGE of great UT backs. Had he been UT's only option for 4 years might have been the considered the best. Unfortunately, this is a theme for UT backs.

6. Johnnie Jones "Mr. Underrated" - a VERY good back 5.5 y/a - #4 all-time in yards per game. He should get more respect - going mostly on faded memory - not a lot of film I can find on him - one day I will break into the UT football film archive and never leave surviving on Mountain Dew and cheezy poofs until I die... not a bad way to go out... he played with great players on average UT teams

7. Alvin Kamara "Gimme the DAMN ball" - carried the ball about 8.2 times/game from tailback as a soph and 9.4 times/game as a jr - "See I did use him more." - Butch Jones **Interestingly New Orleans let him carry the rock 7.5 times/game even LESS than Butch but threw him the ball an additional 81 times or about twice as much as Butch Jones, hereto referred to as THE MASON. The new prototypical back of the NFL game. He has deceptive speed, an amazing short burst, superior vision and Marshall Faulk's hands and the man can break a tackle and MAKE YOU PAY. Kind of defies traditional RB measuring statistics much like Charlie Garner.

8. Reggie Cobb "I was the man until all that Cobb/Webb business started" - watching Reggie Cobb run a sweep made you want to quit football if you were a DB. He was a freight-train "headed downhill"- means great body lean - ran for over 1,000 yards for Tampa Bay when they still wore orange jerseys - I defy you to name anyone on that team - oh and it being Tampa Bay, they made him play fullback as a rookie A solid back. No true weaknesses.

9. Adrian Foster "Nobody ever called him Normal" - a better pro than collegian? statistically yes, but maybe not - played at the end of the Fulmer Era when UT had begun to struggle. Great Vision, could make you miss, good body lean, did NOT cost us the Penn State bowl game. Mostly, he was frustratingly inconsistent. Maturity? Maybe, I never met the guy. Offensive line woes? Definitely a factor. Nick Stevens as a starting QB? Didn't help. Jimmie Hyams inability to do a decent Teri dactyl voiced interview? Hyams has always been 75% IN at best and yes, I do think he could kill a wolf one on one. He has opposing thumbs and his "strangle it" pre-game strategy could pay off. At least, he wasn't boring. Besides normal is overrated.

10. Tony Thompson "The little Train that did" - Watch his highlights. A home run hitter. He was small, probably less than he was listed, which, if i remember correctly, was about 5'7". Most of his lineman's girlfriends weighed more. But what was there was muscle, determination and two legs which pumped like pistons. In his only season as a starter he rushed for over 1,200 yards. He would get absolutely killed, I mean even the announcers would groan, then bounce up like it was routine and hit you for a 12 yard gain. I just loved him. One of my favorite UT players along with JJ McCleskey and Mose Phillips [see a theme here] of all-time. It's my pick. I'm not dissing Cedric Houston, Travis Stephens or Aaron Hayden all who could go here. Out of those three I'd pick Stephens. But Tony Thompson was FUN to watch. Watching him try to bowl over three defenders and succeed? Priceless.

Outstanding post!

Reactions: 3 people
The youngsters also don't know that Tennessee use to be a breading ground for all things LB.. I'm waiting on this thread to come up lol
hell yes to this..... I would even take a second stringer like Bryan Kimbro compared to our recent production at starter. In all fairness though we used to have strong Ends and Tackles up front coached by guys like Ken Donahue, Doug Matthews etc.. that took a lot of work/pressure of the LB’s

For me the most important measurable is yds/carry

Good backs range from 4-5 yds/carry
Great backs 5-5.5 yds/carry
Elite backs 5.6 or more yds/ carry

Informative and entertaining.

Referring to Butch Jones as THE MASON should definitely, heretofore, stick as his moniker.

Well done :clapping: :lolabove:

I really enjoyed your write up about your picks. I REALLY liked your mention of one of the most unheralded RBs ever to play on The Hill, one Mr. Shawn Bryson. He didn't get the yards per carry others did, but as a Vol no other RB blocked better.

i really believe if Webb hadn’t blown his knee out that he would be mentioned in the Herschel Walker and Bo Jackson tier of SEC RB’s. I was at that cold arsed New Year’s Day in Dallas when he ran all over the razorbacks

No doubt about it. He could turn the corner on you, then run over or around you.

VN Store

Back