Recruiting Forum Football Talk XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point is Butch is into his 10th year as a HC and 4th at UT. He is not a newbie. Does UT not deserve having a HC that can perform at an elite level?

Nick Saban won his first P5 conference championship in his 7th year as a HC. He won the NC in his 9th year. He now has 5 NC's with another one likely this season from two different P5 schools.

Urban Meyer won his first P5 conference and NC championship in his 6th year as a HC at age 42. He now has 3 NC's from 2 different P5 schools.

Jim Harbaugh with a short, successful CFB run including an Orange Bowl win at Stanford along with NFL COY with SF.

Chris Petersen with 5 non-P5 conference championships in 8 years, including 2 undefeated seasons including 2 Fiesta Bowl wins.

Maybe Butch will get there someday. Hope I live long enough to see it.

I don't think anyone is/has argued that Butch is on the level with those guys or will ever be on that level.

Whether Tennessee deserves to have a coach of that caliber is not the correct question. The correct question is which elite/top tier coach could Tennessee get? The answer right now is none.

You can debate whether Tennessee could get a coach better than CBJ, but beating yourself up over why can't get Saban, Urban, Harbaugh or Peterson is a waste of time.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't think anyone is/has argued that Butch is on the level with those guys or will ever be on that level.

Whether Tennessee deserves to have a coach of that caliber is not the correct question. The correct question is which elite/top tier coach could Tennessee get? The answer right now is none.

You can debate whether Tennessee could get a coach better than CBJ, but beating yourself up over why can't get Saban, Urban, Harbaugh or Peterson is a waste of time.

Exactly. All this coach envy is just a pointless waste of time. We have a good coach who has room to grow and hopefully continue to get better. He's definitely not top tier and no one is arguing that he is.

The point is Butch is into his 10th year as a HC and 4th at UT. He is not a newbie. Does UT not deserve having a HC that can perform at an elite level?

Nick Saban won his first P5 conference championship in his 7th year as a HC. He won the NC in his 9th year. He now has 5 NC's with another one likely this season from two different P5 schools.

Urban Meyer won his first P5 conference and NC championship in his 6th year as a HC at age 42. He now has 3 NC's from 2 different P5 schools.

Jim Harbaugh with a short, successful CFB run including an Orange Bowl win at Stanford along with NFL COY with SF.

Chris Petersen with 5 non-P5 conference championships in 8 years, including 2 undefeated seasons including 2 Fiesta Bowl wins.

Maybe Butch will get there someday. Hope I live long enough to see it.

Then there are many others. For example, Dabo is competing for it all now, but he didn't start winning big until year 7.

If we go 10-2, Jones will have again improved by 2 games. It was ugly. It wasn't fun. But the program as a whole is still headed in the right direction.

Reactions: 2 people
While we are talking about bright spots I thought Tuttle was another one. He had to play a ton of snaps and kept playing with a high motor throughout.

Impossible! He was injured last year because our S&C coach didn't train his legs to take a cheap shot from behind. No way our regimen got him healthy again! :stop:

Then there are many others. For example, Dabo is competing for it all now, but he didn't start winning big until year 7.

If we go 10-2, Jones will have again improved by 2 games. It was ugly. It wasn't fun. But the program as a whole is still headed in the right direction.

But apparently since he's not Harbaugh it doesn't matter.

What would you have done different? Not looking for an arguement, but an insightful conversation. & Throw the ball or run Dobbs more won't suffice. How would you have counteracted what they were doing? I have some opinions myself, but I'd like to hear some other thoughts on it.

Two back set worked. Need a lead blocker. Roll the pocket on passes. More AK less Hurd.

Never leave an empty backfield against Bama. They pin their ears back every time.

Just a few ideas. I know we were severely hampered by injuries, but there didn't appear to be any adjustments. The only adjustment I noticed was we went away from the 2 back set that was ripping off 9-10 ypc.

What would you have done different? Not looking for an arguement, but an insightful conversation. & Throw the ball or run Dobbs more won't suffice. How would you have counteracted what they were doing? I have some opinions myself, but I'd like to hear some other thoughts on it.

I agee the play calling could definitely have been better but we were playing a dang good defense without 3 starters on our o-line.

The team was really banged up with injuries and got completely and utterly destroyed and embarrassed yesterday on the biggest stage in Neyland in over a decade. There is no way to sugarcoat it boys.

It's also not the end of the world, or the season. We can still win the East and achieve our best season in a long long time.

But it shows we are still a long way from being a NC contender.

He has been waiting on this day for 10 months. All the "no excuses" talk was aimed towards this day. He finally gets to cash in today.

Yes. That is why I'm all over the board shouting about no excuses.

Give me a break. I had high expectations for the year. I wasn't hoping or wishing for any loss for some cash in.

The team was really banged up with injuries and got completely and utterly destroyed and embarrassed yesterday on the biggest stage in Neyland in over a decade. There is no way to sugarcoat it boys.

It's also not the end of the world, or the season. We can still win the East and achieve our best season in a long long time.

Harbaugh and Petersen would have won regardless tho.

Last edited:

Somehow yesterday didn't have a big game feel to me. UF 2014, OU 2015, UGA 2015, and UF 2016 all felt much bigger. Maybe it's because they came out and dominated immediately and we never really had a chance.

I posted some ideas last night. Off the top of my head:

More two back set like Volatil said. It was working. Why stop?

Move the pocket more. We rarely did.

Three step drop fades. Takes little protection, our receivers are built for it, and it would keep their DBs from sitting on underneath routes.

Slants to the slot instead of outside. Harder to jam and a good way to get Byrd and Kamara the ball with a chance to work.

More Wolf down the seam, like that quick pop pass we used to run.

Bring back the read option with the fly sweep motion. Our backs are perfect for it, and it would have forced Bama to read and react instead of just attacking.

Last edited:
Wright from Titans just made a ESPY deserving catch

That was awesome. Wish Mariota could have hit him in stride. He really had to step into that throw. Seems like he has really good arm strength for short to medium passes. Very quick release. But anything deep is difficult for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back