Remarks from Ole Miss

I don't care if they scored again late in the game. A defense has the responsibility to stop the opponent. If you do not stop them, then you get scored on. We will have our chance soon to be on the offensive in those situations.

You missed the point, what you said is fine and is not the issue. It's Freeze's bs reaction and insincerity acting all incredulous that his team scored. If he really didn't want to score, he'd have had his qb take a knee rather than throw passes into the end zone.

It's not like he was calling pass plays...just running up the gut. I bet CBJ was more upset with our lack of pride required to man up at that moment to prevent a score than at an opposing team calling all running plays to kill the clock.

Seriously, anybody upset about Coach Freeze scoring TDs in a football game should stop. I would be more embarrassed if they took a knee. That would show the world that he feels sorry for us. Who the hell wants that?

Really!!! He ran the ball up the (;&$ind middle and we couldn't stop it. It is the least of my concerns. Besides, if you keep up with the guy, he's a decent person. We play in the SEC. I regret the fact that we are in the position where some of our fans get upset that a team won't ease up on us.

I hope we dig out of this hole soon. This is embarrassing.

It's not like he was calling pass plays...just running up the gut. I bet CBJ was more upset with our lack of pride required to man up at that moment to prevent a score than at an opposing team calling all running plays to kill the clock.

Seriously, anybody upset about Coach Freeze scoring TDs in a football game should stop. I would be more embarrassed if they took a knee. That would show the world that he feels sorry for us. Who the hell wants that?

Really!!! He ran the ball up the (;&$ind middle and we couldn't stop it. It is the least of my concerns. Besides, if you keep up with the guy, he's a decent person. We play in the SEC. I regret the fact that we are in the position where some of our fans get upset that a team won't ease up on us.

I hope we dig out of this hole soon. This is embarrassing.

Actually, he or his OC did call a pass play 2 plays earlier. Go back and watch. Again, if that's what he wants to do, if he feels the need to extend the lead for style points, no worries, no problem, this ain't pee wee football, he's trying to get his team into the playoff final 4.

But after continuing to try and score by both running and throwing the ball with a minute left, he doesn't get to play both sides of the fence and act all upset that his team scored. My guess is that he wanted the additional points but didn't want any criticism for how it looked. He figured the cameras were on him so he conjured up the bs reaction.

Reactions: 1 person
It's hard to ask kids who don't get to play often to not try and score when they finally see the field. Bottom line, it looks bad when the second string guys score on you worse than the first string. It's our job to stop them. I have to say that there are some unwritten rules in coaching about running up the score, and coach's have long memories. I suspect Butch placed that last TD in his memory for the future. I certainly would.

Reactions: 2 people
Dooley was an idiot and terrible coach. The staff left him because of that and the fact you could tell him anything. He was arrogant and a control freak boss.

This staff is not going anywhere. They are committed to CBJ and to UTK.

God you people watch to many Soap Operas and love Drama. A bunch of Whinny A women talk.

Go write a comic book.

Um, I'm not really sure why your are bitc@@@@ at me about this? I was simply answering a question. You talk about winning, but what exactly do you think this unnecessary and misdirected rambling looks like to most people? Nothing that I stated was out of line, nor did I say Jancek or anyone else was jumping ship. Facts are, when a fan base becomes split great assistant coaches jump ship. It's not about loyalty at that point, it's about job security for their future. No one wants to go to work with head coach who's a sitting duck. Go look at the Jets if you don't believe me.

Last edited:
Actually, he or his OC did call a pass play 2 plays earlier. Go back and watch. Again, if that's what he wants to do, if he feels the need to extend the lead for style points, no worries, no problem, this ain't pee wee football, he's trying to get his team into the playoff final 4.

But after continuing to try and score by both running and throwing the ball with a minute left, he doesn't get to play both sides of the fence and act all upset that his team scored. My guess is that he wanted the additional points but didn't want any criticism for how it looked. He figured the cameras were on him so he conjured up the bs reaction.

Good points. I should have been more clear. What I was trying emphasize was that it was mostly runs that we couldn't stop. In the end, it's a pretty embarrassing thing to focus on and I believe the victory formation should only be used to protect your players...not for feeling sorry for your opponent. It's a mans game like you said. Hugh Freeze's intentions can be debated all week but this makes us look like a school who can't hang on the field and cries about the opposition beating us too badly. Again, this topic of conversation makes me irate as a fan.

Not sure how much of this was said publicly or already reported by Hugh Freeze was highly complimentary of UT and said that UT is where Ole Miss was two years ago and has a lot of talent but no depth. He said in two years UT will likely win the East.

He also said that Freeze was irate at the last touchdown and apologized to Butch Jones for the appearance that they were running up the score. Apparently, Freeze was pretty pissed on the sideline afterward.

Some of this may just be "politically correct" talk complimenting the other team but overall folks seem to respect Butch a lot more than the prior two guys.

All an act my friend, all an act.
He meant to score at the end then acted like it upset him. What a fake! He'll get his.

Good points. I should have been more clear. What I was trying emphasize was that it was mostly runs that we couldn't stop. In the end, it's a pretty embarrassing thing to focus on and I believe the victory formation should only be used to protect your players...not for feeling sorry for your opponent. It's a mans game like you said. Hugh Freeze's intentions can be debated all week but this makes us look like a school who can't hang on the field and cries about the opposition beating us too badly. Again, this topic of conversation makes me irate as a fan.

I'm with KB on this, but look at it like this, Ole Miss had the ball over 11 mins in the fourth quarter. They easily could have rung up a few more TDs had they pushed it. Our defense was gassed. Like you stated, or at least how I took it, college football isn't upward sports. Not everyone is a winner. If a team wants to beat us by 50, and they posses the ability to do it and proceed on with the beating, then as a fan you just have to sit back and accept the a&& whooping for what it is, an a@@ whopping. I too also hate when our fan base acts like its a crime to beat your opponent by as much as possible. If we can beat Vandy by 50 this year then we should do just that. Same goes for opponents beating us by 50 if they can. It's why you play the game for 60 mins.

Not sure how much of this was said publicly or already reported by Hugh Freeze was highly complimentary of UT and said that UT is where Ole Miss was two years ago and has a lot of talent but no depth. He said in two years UT will likely win the East.

He also said that Freeze was irate at the last touchdown and apologized to Butch Jones for the appearance that they were running up the score. Apparently, Freeze was pretty pissed on the sideline afterward.

Some of this may just be "politically correct" talk complimenting the other team but overall folks seem to respect Butch a lot more than the prior two guys.
OOOOOOOKKKKKKKK well I would have been furious also If the QB did not take a knee ... OOOO I forgot tot tell him ..

He could have always taken a knee, right?

Reactions: 1 person
It's a lot of reading comprehension geniuses in this thread.. For the hundredth or so time. It's not a problem he scored it's the way he did it.. Fake and classless.

If your gonna score, go ahead and score don't apologize about it. He was clearly trying to. If your gonna do it be like Spurrier used to do just do it then be a jerk about it at the 50 meeting with Jones about it. Tell Jones yea I was trying to score my second team needs work, try to stop it and I'm tryin to put as many points on y'all.

Instead he acts fake and disappointed. We see right thru you Freeze.

It's a lot of reading comprehension geniuses in this thread.. For the hundredth or so time. It's not a problem he scored it's the way he did it.. Fake and classless.

If your gonna score, go ahead and score don't apologize about it. He was clearly trying to. If your gonna do it be like Spurrier used to do just do it then be a jerk about it at the 50 meeting with Jones about it. Tell Jones yea I was trying to score my second team needs work, try to stop it and I'm tryin to put as many points on y'all.

Exactly. If he didn't want to score, he wouldn't have. Comments are insulting.

He may not have expected the RB to have it so easy on the last TD, but he could have went into the victory formation and kneeled. That's how most coaches do it.

If our incompetent fan base doesn't run him off first, we will have a solid team in a few years. The problem is recruits hear the chatter and will abandon ship come 2015, and we will be in the same spot we were in when CBJ came here in 2013. If we continue to stay 100% behind CBJ then in 2016 we should have all the pieces to win. Until then, we have to keep the "lets fire everyone" talk to a minimal. CBJ will get it together. He's probably going to have to make a few changes on his offensive staff, but I also hope to see him push to get all his defensive staff raises. Our defense is going to be a top 10 defense come 2016 if all our coaches stay. I totally understand the frustration lately, but people who are saying CBJ is on the hot seat clearly don't understand how much further that would set us back. Trust CBJ, because I've not heard one person who doesn't love the guy.

This is something that very few seem to grasp. Just look where musical coaches have gotten us so far.

It amazes me how many people cannot take a positive for what it is. I saw Freeze reaction when they scored the TD. He was really upset with it. Man, some people refuse to believe that some other coaches in the conference have class. If it was Saban/Kiffin, he would have gone for two after the TD, after taking a time out with 2 seconds remaining in the game.:crazy:

It amazes me how many people cannot take a positive for what it is. I saw Freeze reaction when they scored the TD. He was really upset with it. Man, some people refuse to believe that some other coaches in the conference have class. If it was Saban/Kiffin, he would have gone for two after the TD, after taking a time out with 2 seconds remaining in the game.:crazy:

I saw it too and recognized it for what it was....BS. He did the same thing vs Memphis, throwing the ball and scoring a td with a little over a minute to play. If he hadn't just thrown the ball in the endzone 2 plays earlier trying to score a late td with a minute to go I might've bought his reaction too. But he did, so I dont.

Reactions: 3 people
If our incompetent fan base doesn't run him off first, we will have a solid team in a few years. The problem is recruits hear the chatter and will abandon ship come 2015, and we will be in the same spot we were in when CBJ came here in 2013. If we continue to stay 100% behind CBJ then in 2016 we should have all the pieces to win. Until then, we have to keep the "lets fire everyone" talk to a minimal. CBJ will get it together. He's probably going to have to make a few changes on his offensive staff, but I also hope to see him push to get all his defensive staff raises. Our defense is going to be a top 10 defense come 2016 if all our coaches stay. I totally understand the frustration lately, but people who are saying CBJ is on the hot seat clearly don't understand how much further that would set us back. Trust CBJ, because I've not heard one person who doesn't love the guy.

this will be a big problem by the end of the season,it is going to take CBJ several more good years of recruiting lights out for the Vols,to get the program back to where it needs to be

this will be a big problem by the end of the season,it is going to take CBJ several more good years of recruiting lights out for the Vols,to get the program back to where it needs to be
The recruiting hit that CBJ will take is the suspicion that raw talent never develops into skill. His stubbornness and chip on shoulder (from being far down list of "wanted" coaches) should spur him and his staff to improve their own coaching skills. Prior to taking VOLS job CBJ traveled across country to "sell" himself for openings and, given the 5 mil figure Michigan can pay a coach, he may well put out feelers to return to the Midwest, but Michigan blogs have him far, far down consideration list. He doesn't beat ranked opponents. Google the Cincinnati Enquirer Dec. 2012 article by sports writer Paul Daugherty---best Midwest take on the talents of Butch Jones who has perfected the 3 year tenure. Insanity=doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. His consistent, loyal coaching staff must improve UP to the SEC level because coaches are paid to win.

Reactions: 2 people

Saban said Dooley was doing a great job at UT.

VN Store

Back