Strongly encouraged

i worry about his on field coaching. so far it hasn't been great. the problem is, he's not going change because of his ego. we'll know this year how he does because he's not going to have the offensive talent as he did last year and he's going to have to make some critical in game decisions.

Coaching is a process of progression. As any job, you get better with time. Now, on the other hand, complacency is a coaches biggest enemy. It bit CPF in the hind parts, and CBJ is too meticulous to allow that to happen to him. Surrounding yourself with quality staff also helps. CBJ is also doing that. To me, it's all about learning from your mistakes and making adjustments to ensure that doesn't happen. 2 yrs ago against UF at home, he was playing tight and lost. The next year at UF, he came out and punched UF in the mouth, had the game and the defense let it slip away at the end. He learned and made progression each year and this year, he got his win. Let downs happen, Memphis in '96, Wyoming at home, Vandy in '12 and this year, I could go one. It's how you handle adversity and learn from why you lost. He realized it was Quality Depth and he's continuing to bring in high character recruits who want tho be Vols. Fulmer Cup days are no more.

Reactions: 3 people
It's funny how easily the actual on field choke jobs are forgotten. Butch blew the SEC east and then was handed the sugar bowl and blew that too.

Butch will get the hype train rolling and then the same thing or worse will happen next season.

Prepare to be "encouraged" by the mid level bowl results again next season.

I haven't "forgotten". If I do, I know I can count on you.:)

I don't see how anyone can't be excited about this next season. You know how I feel about Butch. I agree, it's more likely than not, we will see the same or worse results. But, everything we (fans) are going through is real and, at this point, unavoidable. Enjoy it!

If Butch has grown and fixed the major problems, we win. If not, hopefully we have a new AD that will be committed to finding us the right replacement. Either way, enjoy the ride.

There is a lot going on, recruiting, new coaches, new QB, new chancellor, new AD etc. Way too much to be excited about to be stuck on Vandy, SC, East, Sugar Bowl .......

I know you didn't want to "hear" this, but I didn't want "hear" what you posted. We're even.:)

Reactions: 3 people
I guess it's a good thing only about 10% of the roster is on the field at the same time, lol.

Really, would you feel like the players were better if they got a bump from 3* to 4*? Does that increased star rating mean they are instantly better?

If so, you should feel better about several of our players. We had a player rise over 600 spots in the rankings a couple days ago. It's hard to imagine how much better he must've gotten after a bump like that.

He's not the only one who got better after the recent re-rankings either.

Can you explain why we should feel better about talent when after four years of recruiting we havent developed enough depth to beat the bottom of the SEC east?

Reactions: 2 people
Butch has won 79% of his last 19 games. So by your criteria he's in Fulmer's stratosphere.

Butch is 1-3 vs Florida

Butch is 2-2 vs Georgia

Butch is 2-2 vs VANDY!

Butch is 0-8 vs SEC West

Yeah, he's really setting himself up for that hall of fame induction.

Reactions: 13 people
Latest commit didn't have any......NC State, Ole Miss, Rutgers, Virginia, Vandy, Yale, Air Force, Bucknell, Cincinnati and Old Dominion.

Offers like these are more the norm for the vast majority of our current commits. In most cases, we're not battling and certainly not beating out the top programs you listed this cycle.

Some of the commits will be recruited over.

Can you explain why we should feel better about talent when after four years of recruiting we havent developed enough depth to beat the bottom of the SEC east?

i'll concede this to the OP, b/c i agree with your point. but being encouraged acknowledges that there was a) and issue to begin with and b) that he's seen steps that he believes could help fix said issues.

but as to the point the OP has about being "encouraged", it's not like he's saying 'we've arrived'.

i don't disagree that development has been lacking, as you said....losing to USCe, and Vandy...says all you need to know.

but as to being encouraged....i e taking steps to remedy that issue, we have hired a new s&c coach that's widely highly regarded and a new DB coach. now, can either make that big of a difference in a single off season? not sure, and i'm doubtful if i'm being honest, but taking a slightly longer view, i think both moves were good ones to help fix that issue.

so i get where the OP is coming from.

it doesn't though, change the past. it's still wait and see.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I haven't "forgotten". If I do, I know I can count on you.:)

I don't see how anyone can't be excited about this next season. You know how I feel about Butch. I agree, it's more likely than not, we will see the same or worse results. But, everything we (fans) are going through is real and, at this point, unavoidable. Enjoy it!

If Butch has grown and fixed the major problems, we win. If not, hopefully we have a new AD that will be committed to finding us the right replacement. Either way, enjoy the ride.

There is a lot going on, recruiting, new coaches, new QB, new chancellor, new AD etc. Way too much to be excited about to be stuck on Vandy, SC, East, Sugar Bowl .......

I know you didn't want to "hear" this, but I didn't want "hear" what you posted. We're even.:)

I guess that's why we get along so well. We are standing on opposite ends of the spectrum.

I see more trouble. I see Butch no longer killing it on the recruiting trail. The administration is teetering on absolute ridiculousness. Butch hasn't bothered to even address the coaching needs. More of the same.

But I like your point of view. I just can't fake it. It would be faking it if I tried to talk like that.

And 51 is greater than 19.....he's currently 30-21 at Tennessee, .588 win percentage.

30 is greater than 21, a .411 win percentage. That's well below avg and unacceptable. I'm not ecstatic over a .588 win 5, but it's improving and that's what we all want to see.

Reactions: 1 person
i'll concede this to the OP, b/c i agree with your point. but being encouraged acknowledges that there was a) and issue to begin with and b) that he's seen steps that he believes could help fix said issues.

but as to the point the OP has about being "encouraged", it's not like he's saying 'we've arrived'.

i don't disagree that development has been lacking, as you said....losing to USCe, and Vandy...says all you need to know.

but as to being encouraged....i e taking steps to remedy that issue, we have hired a new s&c coach that's widely highly regarded and a new DB coach. now, can either make that big of a difference in a single off season? not sure, and i'm doubtful if i'm being honest, but taking a slightly longer view, i think both moves were good ones to help fix that issue.

so i get where the OP is coming from.

it doesn't though, change the past. it's still wait and see.:thumbsup:

Yeah, i get where he is coming from as well, my point is the only actual accomplishment is a Music City Bowl win.

CBJ has proven he is a good recruiter, so recruiting has never been a problem, which is why i dont get encouraged by successful recruiting. Similair thoughts on coaching hires

VN Store

Back