Strongly encouraged

Improving the W/L record by 4 games in 4 years is also an accomplishment. Not having a worse record than any of the previous years is an accomplishment. Ending losing streaks versus your biggest division rivals is an accomplishment. Winning bowl games in 3 consecutive years is an accomplishment. Having a perfect bowl record is an accomplishment,

i don't disagree with you on this. but in the same breath as this can be said, 2-2 against Vandy, 0 fer against Muschamp are also NOT accomplishments, and leave every bit as much room for doubt, as there is for encouragement from the other stuff you mentioned.

and really, that's the issue isn't it? the same guy that can beat GA and FL in the same season, can lose to USCe and Vandy with the East and a Sugar Bowl in play, in that same season.

you literally can't take the good, w/out the bad. it's that there's always a counter point that should leave people scratching their head.

not really. just hard to take you seriously when you're just making stuff up and pulling random #'s out of thin air.

when you have some actual trends to discuss, we'll see who has the comprehension issue.

Let's start with capitalization and build up to the more complex concepts.

I'm not comparing coaches. I'm letting the poster know that Butch is meeting one of HIS criteria. I'm sorry that this is so compicated for you.

No you're not, you cherry picked a handful of games rather than give his full record. Shall I handpick a few of Fulmers games for comparison?

i don't disagree with you on this. but in the same breath as this can be said, 2-2 against Vandy, 0 fer against Muschamp are also NOT accomplishments, and leave every bit as much room for doubt, as there is for encouragement from the other stuff you mentioned.

and really, that's the issue isn't it? the same guy that can beat GA and FL in the same season, can lose to USCe and Vandy with the East and a Sugar Bowl in play, in that same season.

you literally can't take the good, w/out the bad. it's that there's always a counter point that should leave people scratching their head.

I was responding to a post stating that the MCB win was the ONLY accomplishment.

i think people are poo pooing this class, and it's really way too early to tell. i think there's some quality in there, even with the 3*'s. i get less hung up on that than some.

that said, obviously, i'd prefer to be getting more of the highly regarded players, more flexibility, and less risk. but just on volume alone, this class should turn out ok.

and again, taking a little bit of a longer view, i think after this year's NFL draft, not that recruiting will get easier, but it will show future recruits that you can get there from Knoxville again.

so i don't think all is lost from a talent standpoint, now or in the future.

but as with the on field performance, this upcoming season, and cycle in to 2018, will be important to the future of this program under CBJ, and his role in it.

If this class finishes in the 12-15 range (which some think it will) thats gonna put Jones after his best 2 seasons here recruiting on a Dooley level his last 2 years.

Butch is 1-3 vs Florida

Butch is 2-2 vs Georgia

Butch is 2-2 vs VANDY!

Butch is 0-8 vs SEC West

Yeah, he's really setting himself up for that hall of fame induction.

Why do you post things that make it seem like you believe Jones had a loaded roster as soon as he stepped on campus, but failed in those first years?

People mention things about how some fans forget about the losses suffered late in the season, but they forget just how terrible things were the 1st 2 years CBJ was here.

Should be 3-1 vs Vandy. 2-2 vs UGA is not bad at all, considering how bad the roster was the first 2 years. Don't forget, we have a 2 game streak on the pups.

What teams from the west should we have beaten, given the state of UT at the time the games were played? Auburn? No. Arkansas? Maybe. Texas A&M? Maybe, but not expected. Ole Miss? No. Alabama? No.

Reactions: 2 people
If this class finishes in the 12-15 range (which some think it will) thats gonna put Jones after his best 2 seasons here recruiting on a Dooley level his last 2 years.

don't disagree, but there's some equity built in that 14 and 15 class that is still gonna be here next year, and the year after that. and if this year does go better than expected, see some Big Orange walk across the stage, and get their names called, that won't hurt, and you can build on that in the 18 cycle, and still sell playing time.

the caveat to that is what's the tone of Jones' tenure at the end of next season? will there be more confidence in his future or less?

i may not like it, but at least the for the short term, it would be better for the long term future, (if that makes sense?) if this all works out.

cause you're right. if it goes south now, and we do have to fire him, the cupboard won't be as bare as it was when Butch got here, but it won't be ready to win now, or the near future, for the next guy either.

don't disagree, but there's some equity built in that 14 and 15 class that is still gonna be here next year, and the year after that. and if this year does go better than expected, see some Big Orange walk across the stage, and get their names called, that won't hurt, and you can build on that in the 18 cycle, and still sell playing time.

the caveat to that is what's the tone of Jones' tenure at the end of next season? will there be more confidence in his future or less?

i may not like it, but at least the for the short term, it would be better for the long term future, if this all works out.

cause you're right. if it goes south now, and we do have to fire him, the cupboard won't be as bare as it was when Butch got here, but it won't be ready to win now, or the near future, for the next guy either.

Why is he struggling with so many top prospects that are so close to Knoxville.

Reactions: 2 people
Damn straight Skippy

Butch has won 0% of his games against the West

50% against Georgia
50% against Vandy
25% against Florida
25% against Power 5 conferences(regular season)
0% against Bama

100% against Kentucky
75% against Missouri
100% against non-power 5 conferences

3-0 in Bowls

VN Store

Back