Strongly encouraged

Taking 2013 out of the mix because Jones only had a view weeks to recruit that class, this is our recruiting numbers since 2010

5*-2
4*-8
3*-15
2*- 2

62% of class is 3* or lower. Finished 9th Nationally, 5th in SEC

5*-0
4*-9
3*-18

66% of class is 3* or lower. Finished 14th nationally, 6th in SEC

5*-0
4*-8
3*-14

63% of class is 3* or lower. Finished 20th nationally, 8th in SEC

5*-0
4*-16
3*-16

50% of class is 3*( talent we had this year that was expected to win SEC). 7th Nationally, 5th SEC

5*-1
4*-15(2 left the program)
3*-12
2*-1

44% is 3* or less. 4th nationally, 2nd SEC

5*-0
4*-10
3*-13

56% is 3 * or less. 14th nationally, 7th in SEC

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah, i get where he is coming from as well, my point is the only actual accomplishment is a Music City Bowl win.

CBJ has proven he is a good recruiter, so recruiting has never been a problem, which is why i dont get encouraged by successful recruiting. Similair thoughts on coaching hires

agree. i'll just say this, i'm glad we won the bowl game, the way we won the bowl game. doesn't change much on the narrative of the season....but i'd absolutely hate this off season if we would have lost that game in some horrible fashion. i was glad to see the defense play well, and Dobbs, Barnett and Kamar go out on a high note.

it was like getting a pretty decent desert to a pretty average dinner.

9-2
8-4
11-1
10-2

Please keep the comparisions consistent, if you are going to pick first four years, lets choose the same time span for a HOF NC winning coach.

I'm not comparing coaches. I'm letting the poster know that Butch is meeting one of HIS criteria. I'm sorry that this is so compicated for you.

Some of the commits will be recruited over.

So you ask a question to try to make a point that gets shot down and you respond with this? Also, who's getting recruited over at this point? 1 or 2 guys? Maybe? We're not exactly hitting homeruns with the highest rated guys we've been pursuing as of late.

We have 5-6 highly rated commits with legit offers from the top programs you listed, maybe a handful of diamonds in the rough/underrated guys and a lot of projects needing serious development in this class right now.

I'm not comparing coaches. I'm letting the poster know that Butch is meeting one of HIS criteria. I'm sorry that this is so compicated for you.

By doing so you discount the equity built up by having good seasons. If CBJ had a double digit win season in his pocket its easy to discount this as a let down season, but he doesnt.

I guess that's why we get along so well. We are standing on opposite ends of the spectrum.

I see more trouble. I see Butch no longer killing it on the recruiting trail. The administration is teetering on absolute ridiculousness. Butch hasn't bothered to even address the coaching needs. More of the same.

But I like your point of view. I just can't fake it. It would be faking it if I tried to talk like that.

Butch hasn't addressed the coaching needs with public comments. I have no doubt that he's addressing the coaching needs.

What's better? A 3 star that graduates on time and contributes to a team's success or a 4 star that's off of the team before his junior year? What's better, a highly skilled 3 star that just needs to bulk up or a 4 star that thinks his **** don't stink that's already at his maximum potential?

You should contact Saban because he's doing it wrong.

I shudder to think what's going to happen when he learns about these 3 starts that wants it, instead of those 4 and 5 star *******s that goes pro in 3 years.

Reactions: 2 people
Latest commit didn't have any......NC State, Ole Miss, Rutgers, Virginia, Vandy, Yale, Air Force, Bucknell, Cincinnati and Old Dominion.

Offers like these are more the norm for the vast majority of our current commits. In most cases, we're not battling and certainly not beating out the top programs you listed this cycle.

Not always the greatest measuring stick. The below individual worked out pretty well for us.

Josh Dobbs - 3* per Rivals
Offers from:
Arizona State
Arkansas
Boston College
Duke
Harvard
Illinois
Maryland
Miss. State
Princeton
Southern Miss
South Florida
Syracuse
TCU
UCF
Wake Forest
Yale

I shudder to think what's going to happen when he learns about these 3 starts that wants it, instead of those 4 and 5 star *******s that goes pro in 3 years.

Butch knows more about it than Saban

Shut your mouth

Yeah, i get where he is coming from as well, my point is the only actual accomplishment is a Music City Bowl win.

CBJ has proven he is a good recruiter, so recruiting has never been a problem, which is why i dont get encouraged by successful recruiting. Similair thoughts on coaching hires

Improving the W/L record by 4 games in 4 years is also an accomplishment. Not having a worse record than any of the previous years is an accomplishment. Ending losing streaks versus your biggest division rivals is an accomplishment. Winning bowl games in 3 consecutive years is an accomplishment. Having a perfect bowl record is an accomplishment,

We have 5-6 highly rated commits with legit offers from the top programs you listed, maybe a handful of diamonds in the rough/underrated guys and a lot of projects needing serious development in this class right now.

This type of roster needs quite a bit of development. The problem is, Butch and staff (so far) don't develop very well..

He needs more of the 'no assembly required' type of players....

Not always the greatest measuring stick. The below individual worked out pretty well for us.

Josh Dobbs - 3* per Rivals
Offers from:
Arizona State
Arkansas
Boston College
Duke
Harvard
Illinois
Maryland
Miss. State
Princeton
Southern Miss
South Florida
Syracuse
TCU
UCF
Wake Forest
Yale

The Odds are not in your favor

i think people are poo pooing this class, and it's really way too early to tell. i think there's some quality in there, even with the 3*'s. i get less hung up on that than some.

that said, obviously, i'd prefer to be getting more of the highly regarded players, more flexibility, and less risk. but just on volume alone, this class should turn out ok.

and again, taking a little bit of a longer view, i think after this year's NFL draft, not that recruiting will get easier, but it will show future recruits that you can get there from Knoxville again.

so i don't think all is lost from a talent standpoint, now or in the future.

but as with the on field performance, this upcoming season, and cycle in to 2018, will be important to the future of this program under CBJ, and his role in it.

the same reason you're just pulling 19 games....to make a point.

Its always humorous when these last 19 or 17 game records are pitched. In this case it starts right after a 2-4 stretch and includes the basement dwellers twice and the contenders once.

Are you saying that TN should be at Bama's level 4 years removed from Dooley?

Improving the W/L record by 4 games in 4 years is also an accomplishment. Not having a worse record than any of the previous years is an accomplishment. Ending losing streaks versus your biggest division rivals is an accomplishment. Winning bowl games in 3 consecutive years is an accomplishment. Having a perfect bowl record is an accomplishment,

Mitigating Factors

Florida has went through two coaches since Butch has been here. Florida is not the Florida of the 90's, much like us

Georgia has a new coach since Butch was hired

Vandy has new coach since Butch was hired

SC- New coach

Missouri- new coach

Kentucky-new coach

SEC East is a shell of what it use to be. SEC EAST is probably the 2nd worst division in Power 5 behind Big 10 West Division

With that said, Butch still couldn't win the East with being the senior coach in the Division and having the most talented and experienced team

The trend is not in his favor

VN Store

Back